32GB Galaxy S3 is merely a 16GB with a 16GB Micro SD Card?

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Also remember that even if you get a high quality, high speed (class 10/uhs-1) micro sd card they will still be slower than internal memory. I got the 32 GB intending to only use internal memory until it gets full and then I will expand with and external SD card.

In a phone, a Class 6 will work fine - unless you prefer a Class 10. Usually the Class 6 will be cheaper but I have seen to good deals on Class 10 cards.

anon(862554)

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Well here's my update. Went into Verizon and told them what happened. The sales guy who told me the 32GB was an internal 16GB + 16 GB sd card wasn't there but the manager didn't dispute anything. However he said that since it was past 14 days the system would not let them do a return or exchange. He then went into a whole thing about how would I even full up all that memory and that a 64GB sd card should satisfy all my needs. I told him that wasn't the point. The point is that they sold me a phone and gave me the impression that I was buying something that I wasn't. I wasn't trying to pull any shenanigans...I was willing to pay the price for the 32GB when I originally went in and I was willing to pay the difference if they could do the exchange. But they couldn't do anything. He refunded me for the 16 GB card they originally sold me and credited me the difference between a 64 Gb and 16 GB card to purchase a 64 GB card from best buy. So in the end all I got was $53 for my troubles. I was very dissatisfied with his tone so when I got home I called Verizon directly. The first lady I spoke to was very understanding and she transferred me to the loyalty department. That lady was very understanding as well and tried as much as she could but she also could not do anything. I guess they really can't do anything after 14 days. I felt better though talking to the reps on the phone cuz they sounded like they actually cared.

It wasnt THAT big of a deal to me because I really like the phone and I was able to order a 32 GB sd card from amazon for less that the 16 GB sd card I originally purchased at the Verizon store. Will I be upset a year from now? I dont think so and I hope I wont. I had a 16 GB iphone 3Gs before this and never worried about needing extra memory

Last edited:

cfairchi

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
A salesperson at verizon tried to pull this one on me as well. He almost had me convinced, until I took him to verizon's website and showed him that it said 32gig internal memory. He seemed to not care. Turns out they had no 32gb models in stock, so I suspect he just wanted to sell me the 16gb version because that was all they had. It is a shame that there a probably several people that got talked into a 16gb model with misinformation.

Lorroth1

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
YOu guys are going to LOVE this....I went back to the same store Saturday. I explained to the salesman what had transpired (told 16 Int + 16 ext was same as 32 GB).....he said that is correct...I said "No it is not, I was mislead. Technically I do understand that 16+16=32, BUT that the 32 GB phone had 32 GB INTERNAL memory...." He argued, insisting that the two ideas were the same. He then said "I will show you"..I responded "fine, pull up verizons site"....he got the stupidest look on his face. He said I was correct (duh) and said that is what the all understood in that store (BS)....I told him I wanted to exchange the phone for a 32 GB....which was what I originally came in for. Now he begins to argue with me that I will never actually use 32 GB. I said it doesn't matter if I do or don't...it is the phone I came in for. Long story short...I am off to another store...they didn't have any...I would have had to turn in the phones we have and be phoneless.

I will let you know how that turns out:p

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
YOu guys are going to LOVE this....I went back to the same store Saturday. I explained to the salesman what had transpired (told 16 Int + 16 ext was same as 32 GB).....he said that is correct...I said "No it is not, I was mislead. Technically I do understand that 16+16=32, BUT that the 32 GB phone had 32 GB INTERNAL memory...." He argued, insisting that the two ideas were the same. He then said "I will show you"..I responded "fine, pull up verizons site"....he got the stupidest look on his face. He said I was correct (duh) and said that is what the all understood in that store (BS)....I told him I wanted to exchange the phone for a 32 GB....which was what I originally came in for. Now he begins to argue with me that I will never actually use 32 GB. I said it doesn't matter if I do or don't...it is the phone I came in for. Long story short...I am off to another store...they didn't have any...I would have had to turn in the phones we have and be phoneless.

I could never find a store with a 32gb in stock. I even had one rep tell me "they are hard to find as they didn't make many of them." Yeah, okay. I ended up having to order one but Verizon did send it overnight at no charge.

Good luck!!

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
A salesperson at verizon tried to pull this one on me as well. He almost had me convinced, until I took him to verizon's website and showed him that it said 32gig internal memory. He seemed to not care. Turns out they had no 32gb models in stock, so I suspect he just wanted to sell me the 16gb version because that was all they had. It is a shame that there a probably several people that got talked into a 16gb model with misinformation.

Of course he wanted to sell you that 16gb model....add to his quota and get the commission. :D

smbrooks32

Jun 23, 2012
Visit site
Not to mention that the 16 gb is only 11 when u add in the bloat, and only specific data can be put onto a expandable sd card, so some of the data won't go on it even if there is a space.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

anon(862554)

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

See my experience above. If you're past the 14 days you are SOL.

smbrooks32

Jun 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to buy a micro sd for my s3 I have 32gb internal and I wanted the 64gb micro sd now my question is the classes what's the differences? Is there one I need to stay away from getting?

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I would say the Class 10 is better - although I have read where some people were reporting some issues (i.e. lagging video, choppy songs, etc) when using a Class 10 card. It seems Best Buy sent some people Class 10 cards during the awesome sale they had on the 64gb card. The original deal was for a Class 6 card, which is the one I received - why some people got Class 10's I don't know. But I will tell you I haven't had a single issue with the Class 6. Price wise you can find good deals on the Class 10 cards but the Class 6 cards tend to be a little cheaper. I highly recommend a name brand card.

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
I bought the 16GB. For me, the 12GB of free space is plenty for apps. I don't keep but a couple of casual games on my phone, so I don't need the space for that. Angry Birds and Sprinkle don't really take up that much room.

All my media (music, movies), pictures, larger documents I keep with me, etc., go on to the 64GB card I bought for the price difference between the 16GB and 32GB models.

And in 18 months or less I'll be wanting something new anyway, so I just didn't see the need for the 32GB model given the SD card slot.

Lorroth1

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
wooooooooot changed two 16 GB phones for two 32 GB phones today. Business account so no restock fees!!! I am a happy camper with my 32 GB SD card as well!:)

laserrr

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Hi! I have a canadian 16gb S3 and i have heard that i can only fit a 32gb card in it...and i bought a 64 gb for it is there a fix for this...i have not tried it yet still waiting for my 64gb card...this is all very confusing...have you heard anything about this...thanks...

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi! I have a canadian 16gb S3 and i have heard that i can only fit a 32gb card in it...and i bought a 64 gb for it is there a fix for this...i have not tried it yet still waiting for my 64gb card...this is all very confusing...have you heard anything about this...thanks...

I think you'll be fine. I have a 16 gb gs3 on Verizon and my 64 gb sd card works fine.

Herduc

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
I bought the gs3 16gb, I wasn't aware that you can't move applications to the sd card then. But 16gb is a lot of space for applications, my gs3 is using just less than one gb. All my pictures and music are stored in the external sd card, Imo, is not a problem. I would like to get it rooted just to get rid of all the bloatware though.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Unfranchise33

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
The lady at verizon is an idiot. I had to get my 32 GB version at Best buy Mobile. And it has an empty sd card slot. People at the verizon store will tell you whatever they can to try and get a sale. They are idiots who usually don't know the difference between ram and internal storage.

tony477g

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
The lady at verizon is an idiot. I had to get my 32 GB version at Best buy Mobile. And it has an empty sd card slot. People at the verizon store will tell you whatever they can to try and get a sale. They are idiots who usually don't know the difference between ram and internal storage.

Moral of all this, do your homework. The sales reps at verizon are complete idiots with pretty much no training and all own iphones. I had to argue with the sales rep that you couldnt move apps into the sd card. I made him "show" me how to move them and after about an hour comes back and tells me "dude you cant move apps to the sd card" Then they decide to tell me the 32 gb model just is a 16 gb model with a 16 gb sd card. By this time I was pissed and made them wave the $100 restocking fee! (I came in wanting the 32 gb model, left with a 16 gb model, came back wanting the 32 gb model). So whatever you do don't take the sales reps advice and tips unless they seem to know a lot about the phone.

hockeymn25

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I can't believe someone hasn't come up with a mod to allow us to move apps to the sd card. Seems stupid not to be able to do this like any other device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781