Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

Default FoxFi

I downloaded on my phone, and my Macbook was able to pick up the connection via WIFI, will this work on my data plan or will VZW make me sign up for hotspot.

Connection is pretty good.

ROM
    Wicked JB V1.2/KT747

Quote Originally Posted by allsop377 View Post
    I downloaded on my phone, and my Macbook was able to pick up the connection via WIFI, will this work on my data plan or will VZW make me sign up for hotspot.

Connection is pretty good.
    Foxfi bypasses the locked hotspot on ur phone. There is also an ad on the disguises the tethering signature using proxy settings

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    Devices:

Galaxy S3 Wicked Sensation JellyBean V 1.2/kt747 TW JB Kernal
    Xoom FE rooted... need modding bad!!! Damn Moto!

Quote Originally Posted by MotoPho View Post
    Foxfi bypasses the locked hotspot on ur phone. There is also an ad on the disguises the tethering signature using proxy settings

I take it this means you still need a FoxFi or something similar in order to be able to tether your phone and your tablet. The GS3 does not do this on its own?
    Deb
    Save a life & make your life better.
    Adopt a rescue or shelter dog.

Quote Originally Posted by debsdroid View Post
    I take it this means you still need a FoxFi or something similar in order to be able to tether your phone and your tablet. The GS3 does not do this on its own?
    The phone has a built in hotspot feature but if it's not included in your plan it won't work... Foxfi bypasses that and lets you use it....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

ROM
    CM10

Default Re: FoxFi

The GS3 can use Verizon's hotspot app to do this, but not for free. (Unless you're on a shared everything plan, then it's included) People use apps such as FoxFi to bypass this, so the tethering isn't recognized by Verizon and they don't have to pay the $20 monthly fee. (Or however much it is)

Quote Originally Posted by nelonez View Post
    The phone has a built in hotspot feature but if it's not included in your plan it won't work... Foxfi bypasses that and lets you use it....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    The stock mobile hotspot app works fine for me even without root and subscription, but you need to activate it with a third party widget like power widget or elixir if you don't have a mhs subscription. The widget simply turns it on, the mobile hotspot app itself is completely stock.

Quote Originally Posted by sparesr4sissies View Post
    The GS3 can use Verizon's hotspot app to do this, but not for free. (Unless you're on a shared everything plan, then it's included) People use apps such as FoxFi to bypass this, so the tethering isn't recognized by Verizon and they don't have to pay the $20 monthly fee. (Or however much it is)
    yes but does Foxfiwork on a Samsung phone? It doesn't work other than Bluetooth on my HTC resound.
    Deb
    Save a life & make your life better.
    Adopt a rescue or shelter dog.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

I am using Foxfi now, it is enabled on my S3 with the proxy setting, my macbook recognizes the "hotspot" on the phone. I am currently on Unlimited data..not share everything plan.
    H2o

It works just fine on mine as well. I'm on unlimited and my daughter connects her ipod touch traveling in the car

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

What is the add-on that disguises the tethering signature? I believe it something in the packet that shows it took one "extra" step before being sent? I remember reading about it in the WebOS forums in regards to FreeTether.

Quote Originally Posted by VicVinegar View Post
    What is the add-on that disguises the tethering signature? I believe it something in the packet that shows it took one "extra" step before being sent? I remember reading about it in the WebOS forums in regards to FreeTether.
    This:

It adds the items as menu choices when running foxfi

Quote Originally Posted by PeteJE View Post
    This:

It adds the items as menu choices when running foxfi
    With the addon, if I am connecting an android tablet do I have to configure the tablet to use the proxy? Couldn't find any detailed instructions on using the addon.

EDIT: Found more info for the necessary settings. For anyone else looking for the same info, here it is.

When you enable proxy on the Foxfi app with the addon, it will tell you what to set for Proxy Hostname and Proxy Port.
    Last edited by g1toevo678; 08-05-2012 at 06:19 PM.

yes but does Foxfiwork on a Samsung phone? It doesn't work other than Bluetooth on my HTC resound.
    Foxfi works for wifi tethering on my gs3. On my rezound, as you said, foxfi only works for bluetooth tethering. Also, as I said above, the stock mobile hotspot app works fine for me even without root and subscription, but you would need to activate it with a third party widget like power widget or elixir. Was not able to get the stock mobile hotspot app to work on my rezound.

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Foxfi works for wifi tethering on my gs3. On my rezound, as you said, foxfi only works for bluetooth tethering. Also, as I said above, the stock mobile hotspot app works fine for me even without root and subscription, but you would need to activate it with a third party widget like power widget or elixir. Was not able to get the stock mobile hotspot app to work on my rezound.
    I have yet too get FoxFi to work on an ICS equipped/unrooted Rezound.

Since going to ICS, it has IP issues and doesn't run on hotspot or BT for me.

Lego
    HTC ONE (M8)!

ChromeCast
    Nexus 7 (2012)

BB 6510>7510>8830>8330 Curve>9530 Storm> HTC Droid Incredible > HTC REZOUND!> HTC One (M8)

Good to know. I haven't rooted my rezound. Does wifi tether app work?

Quote Originally Posted by Legobricke View Post

Lego

it works on samsung phones i had the s2 and it worked until the ics update then it stoped. unless they fexed it i just got my s3 and downloaded it but havent checced it out yet.
    Thanked by:

Wish I would have known ICS was going to kill my FoxFi, I would have skipped the update. Any idea on how to teather now without root?

Quote Originally Posted by g1toevo678 View Post
    With the addon, if I am connecting an android tablet do I have to configure the tablet to use the proxy? Couldn't find any detailed instructions on using the addon.

EDIT: Found more info for the necessary settings. For anyone else looking for the same info, here it is.

When you enable proxy on the Foxfi app with the addon, it will tell you what to set for Proxy Hostname and Proxy Port.
    Thanks. Are you aware of any instructions on how to implement this on my Laptop running Windows 7?

ROM
    Wicked JB V1.2/KT747

Quote Originally Posted by VicVinegar View Post
    Its in the play store, Foxfi Add-on...

Devices:

Why would I need to download this "add-on" feature?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

ROM
    Wicked JB V1.2/KT747

Its intended for those who power use and are concerned about suspicion from their carrier.

Devices:

Global Posts
    378 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Legobricke View Post

Lego
    I believe it is an issue with HTC phones in general. Foxfi wifi never worked on my TBolt, only bluetooth.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by allsop377 View Post
    I am using Foxfi now, it is enabled on my S3 with the proxy setting, my macbook recognizes the "hotspot" on the phone. I am currently on Unlimited data..not share everything plan.
    I get the wifi from it on my mac but i dont get the internet. im on a mac as well. my phone is a samsung charge
    F34RTEHDR01D

Global Posts
    542 Global Posts

Yeah, the Rezound my wife has would connect but couldn't use the data. My S3 and Fascinate (S1?) both used it well.

I downloaded foxfi on my Lg Optimus M and it seems to work.fine I.can.find the.netwirk on my Dell Lattitude however it wont connect.all the.way it says.the IP.ADRESS CONFIGURATION IS INCORRECT Can sum1 please tell me how 2 get the correct IP ADDRESS 2 allow me 2 connect from my computer using windows 7
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast