Compass calibration

kalnel#WN

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Anyone have any tips for calibrating the compass? I've tried using GPS Status and rotating it through all three axes, but my phone seems determined to be 90-180 degrees off all the time. I've tested it in different areas, in case it was a problem with magnetic interference, but it's always the same.

Despite this, GPS seems to work fine and get a pretty fast lock.

Thoughts?

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Is that a setting built into the phone as well? I remember it being in my Droid X but not seeing it on the S3...

kalnel#WN

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I need to use the compass, so "not worrying" is no help.

I haven't found a setting for it in the main setttings.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
As you mentioned in your OP
Just install GPS Status &Toolbox from the playstore. I dont think the S3 has a pre installed compass in its operating system

Edit: When you calibrated each of the 3 axis did you turn it both clockwise and counter clockwise ? I just did mine and with phone pointed north , shows it being north .

Last edited:

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
As I said in my original post, that's what I was using.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Did you try rotate it both clockwise and counter clockwise on the 3 axis?
Did you go into settings and try changing the GPS and settings>Sensor filtering?
I did not have to change them but if it didnt work I would have

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I dont know why its not working for you then ,
I assume you aready did the gyroscope calibration that is built into the S3 , not sure if that would even matter tho

kalnel#WN

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
That's why I posted -- I can't figure it out, either. :-(

Nope, I had tried the gyroscope, too. I doesn't make a difference.

kjett7

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
i had same problem with my S3. Idk if you figured it out yet, but I downloaded a free compass app.. and it told me to walk in a figure 8 to calibrate the compass. Did probably 3 full figure 8's, the compass spun around a few times then it worked fine. It calibrated it for the Maps and Navigation apps too.

Hope that helps.

ChevronColon3

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
The Compass on my Samsung Galaxy S3 was always pointing around 90 degrees left of wherever I was facing. I found this solution works, with no need to install third party apps.

[HOW TO] Compass Calibration - xda-developers

From the link:
1) Dial *#0*# to get to the Test Menu Page
2) Press Sensors (Never Sleepmode)
3) Wave your phone about till the round black compass has a "3" on it. (Rather than a 0, 1 or 2)

It took me about a minute of waving figures of 8 in every direction till it worked.

isdjww

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, dialing *#0*# and then sensor menu worked for me.
I would like to add that at first I kept the phone flat and moved it in a figure 8 pattern, as if sitting on a table. That didn't help though. What did work was waving it around in the air in all different orientations.

Buz Kaido

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
So, a logical question might be: "What kind of dummy wouldn't think about a rather strong magnet close to their compass? (any kind of compass)

ME, that's who! ...only in my case, it was the case for my Nexus 7 that had that strong magnet... ...it took me a long time to figure out why it displayed practically the same readings no matter which way I pointed it :-(

I did, though, eventually figure that part out on my own...

My bigger problem, though, is that I've installed GPS status on three of my devices (Nexus 7, Droid Incredible, and Droid Bionic), calibrated the heck out of all three; been through GPS status' excellent operator's manual and FAQ's...
...and nothing seems to work! Not one of the three devices give similar readings or headings; none of them are close to my two conventional compass(s).

Now, I'm wondering if the "kickstands" on my two phone cases (which are not magnets, but are metal) might also be causing interference?

I know about where south is, but I'm installing some solar panels (with a ground mount), and want to get them perfect.

Thanks for some of the excellent information and suggestions; I'll try those.

Of course, the best and most accurate way to find true south is to look up "solar noon" for your location, and find the exact time for any given day when the sun is exactly half-way through it's travel across the sky (exactly half-way between sunrise and sunset; it's a different time on any given day); drive a long stick in the ground... ...On the date you've chosen, at that exact time, drive another stick in the ground at the end of the shadow created by that first stick. That line will be exactly North/South (with no magnetic interference of any type).

Of course, that process is rather time-consuming and cumbersome, and can often consume two days of your time. It sure would be nice to possess the "perfect" compass, electronic or otherwise, that would reliably instantly point to true south or that "perfect" east-west line on which you want to mount your panels.

One would think that a high-quality, GPS-assisted smartphone and the right app would be ideal to provide that accuracy; it's somewhat depressing when you own three devices that fit that description and can't even get any two of them to produce the same readings.

To be fair, though, I can't be too hard on my Androids... ...I've got a $400 Casio watch that provides many of the same functions with GPS, compass, altitude, barometer, etc (Casio Titanium Solar Pathfinder PAW1100T) that I've had for 8 years, and it displays the same type of semi-reliable accuracy

oscarkramer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
You don't need to go through that long process to determine local apparent noon (and therefore south from the pole's shadow). You can calculate LAN if you know your longitude (from google earth for example). LAN is at the top of the hour for longitudes that are exact multiples of 15 deg (75, 90, 105, etc). So if your longitude is 80W for example, your LAN will be (80 - 75)/15 * 60 = 20 min after the hour. One hour is added for daylight savings so in the summer, LAN at 80W occurs at 1:20 PM, otherwise it is 12:20 PM.

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I tightened the screws holding the motherboard.
Got a headache reading the previous 2 messages.

AC App on SGS3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21