Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    CM10 Nightlies

Default VZW - Visual Voice Mail $2.99

So I am looking at switching to VZW from Sprint. Probably tomorrow if the S3 sale is good. I am looking at plans and pricing everything out and it looks like it will work for me and what I need.

I noticed under the pricing for each phone that it wants me to pick either

Visual Voice Mail - $2.99
    Basic Voice Mail - $0.00

Is it me or is it really crazy to charge for Visual Voice Mail in 2012? Do I have to get this for my GS3?

Global Posts
    2,819 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanRom 5.5

Default Re: VZW - Visual Voice Mail $2.99

If you are happy with normal voice mail then don't subscribe. I love vvm though as I get many calls every day and it's well worth the expense to me.

ROM
    Stock

You can use Google Voice for your voicemail, for free.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

ROM
    CM10 Nightlies

Wouldn't Google Voice work though?

Does anyone have Google Voice on an S3? How is it working?

Edit: LOL Nice, firetruck41, I was just posting that. Do you use it? Or have you used Google Voice? I have not used that before, but after looking it up. I am liking the features.
    Last edited by Wired03; 08-06-2012 at 10:15 PM. Reason: cause

I have been using Google voice for years and it works perfectly on s3. You can even customize your greetings for each individual caller if that is your thing. Also, you can check your voice mail online.

I also use Google Voice and it works great. I really like the GV widget that gives you a quick view of messages.
    Current Devices:
    LG G3 - AT&T
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - AT&T
    Motorola Moto X - unlocked GSM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8 - LTE AT&T
    Apple iPad Mini Retina - 32GB LTE

I've used YouMail since my CrackBerry days. I love it. It is free and features individual greetings as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by ViolinKnits View Post
    I've used YouMail since my CrackBerry days. I love it. It is free and features individual greetings as well.
    Something about giving another third party access to my info made me twitchy with YouMail. I tried it out in the days when gVoice was GrandCentral, but I made the switch to GV and haven't looked back.

I actually disabled texting on my phone, and have anyone who wants to text me send it to my GV number. Saves me $10/month. Yay!
    Droid X
    Samsung Galaxy S3 - CM10

Global Posts
    462 Global Posts

I use Google Voice. Saves the $2.99 and I get transcriptions of my voice mail. Much more "visual" than Verizon's Visual Voicemail anyway.
    Nexus 5 • Nexus 7 • Surface Pro 3

I've been using YouMail since it was in beta. Been using it for years now and never had a problem. I love it

I don't have people dial in using my GV number but I do use GV for visual voicemail. Works great!

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by ansextra View Post
    I don't have people dial in using my GV number but I do use GV for visual voicemail. Works great!
    I do the same.

+1 for YouMail

I haven't tried GV; been more than happy with what YouMail offers for free, including the free app which IS visual voicemail.

Google Voice is great on mine. No probs

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    319 Global Posts

If GV is not your number that people use to call... how can I use GV as my visual voicemail provider?

Just another +1 for YouMail. I've used it and Google Voice, and choose to go with YouMail. I liked Google Voice, but the main thing i look for is the transcription of the message. That isn't free with YM, but the transcrption accuracy is MUCH better. with GV, even the transcrption is free, but not very accurate. (yeah, I know...you get what you pay for)

Is google voice a free app? We were debating paying the 2.99 as well. My husband wanted to be sure his voice mails were seen and the status bar at the top of our S3 doesn't cut it for him. We were told the VZ 2.99 did a good job

Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Yup. It does take some setting up, but it's nothing a semi-technical person can't handle

Sent from my Galaxy S3 via Tapatalk
    Droid X
    Samsung Galaxy S3 - CM10

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by ptb127 View Post
    If GV is not your number that people use to call... how can I use GV as my visual voicemail provider?
    There is an option to use GV as your voice mail, for your normal mob bike phone number. I forget how u did it, but check the help section on GV, there should be instructions there.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Lorroth1 View Post
    Is google voice a free app? We were debating paying the 2.99 as well. My husband wanted to be sure his voice mails were seen and the status bar at the top of our S3 doesn't cut it for him. We were told the VZ 2.99 did a good job
    GV is free. Definitely worth trying, vs. spending $72/yr on Visual Voicemail.

It's a ripoff especially considering that Apple doesn't allow iPhone users to be charged for this.
    Use Google Voice instead as others have suggested.

IMO - use "Google Voice LITE" - you can follow the instructions at this link and set up GV as your Voicemail and that's it -

-----

Google Voice Lite

Set up or Remove Google voicemail fon your mobile phone

Set Up Google voicemail on your phone

Google Voice Lite lets you set up Google voicemail for your mobile phone number. You'll have all your voicemail in one place, with transcriptions, access to your past voicemails, and voicemail sharing options.

Set up or Remove Google voicemail fon your mobile phone - Google Voice Help (Set up or Remove Google voicemail on your mobile phone - Google Voice Help)

Ditto on Google Voice.

Easy to set up and works great. I too was surprised to see VZW was going to try to charge me $2.99/month for it.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonkey View Post
    Ditto on Google Voice.

Easy to set up and works great. I too was surprised to see VZW was going to try to charge me $2.99/month for it.
    surprised that Verizon was going to nickel and dime you to death???

surely you jest!!!