My S3 is on life support, after being submerged in pool

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Hey, i just came back from Las Vegas and it was a BRUTAL 113 degrees over there this past Thursday!! Night time was between 95 to 100 degrees!! Insane!! If anyone lives there, you can def throw your water damaged device into a car in the searing heat during the day time and let that sucker dry up in no time!!

Extreme heat is also bad for electronics, could end up with more damage than start out with.

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Maybe try dunking it in 99% alcohol for a few mins.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I have been reading that as well... I will try that if Samsung is unwilling to work with me.. Thanks!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

If you want to go this route, you would need to submerge the device in distilled water first to rinse out all the chlorine and other salt/minerals that was present and deposited on your circuits. It's been a while since your device went in the pool, so the chlorine has been dried onto the circuit tracings already. The distilled water would act as a good solvent to resuspend the chlorine and get it out. Remove battery. Dunk, and rinse, replace with fresh distilled water, then dunk and rinse, repeat, etc.

The alcohol then is used to aid in the removal of water from the device.

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I have been reading that as well... I will try that if Samsung is unwilling to work with me.. Thanks!

Alcohol is a cleaning agent and can do some funky things to adhesives and can turn them gummy or dissolve them. If the entire phone is left in it to long it may cause an issue with the double back tape that secures the digitizer screen (the part you touch on the screen) and the LCD screen (the screen that has the images on it). If you were going to try this, I would suggest taking apart the phone and just dunking the electronics only leaving the plastic housing and the screen out of it. Use a swap with alcohol to clean around the LCD/Digitizer but don't dunk it.

You are not going to be able to clean the insides of the phone well without taking it apart.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Alcohol is a cleaning agent and can do some funky things to adhesives and can turn them gummy or dissolve them. If the entire phone is left in it to long it may cause an issue with the double back tape that secures the digitizer screen (the part you touch on the screen) and the LCD screen (the screen that has the images on it). If you were going to try this, I would suggest taking apart the phone and just dunking the electronics only leaving the plastic housing and the screen out of it. Use a swap with alcohol to clean around the LCD/Digitizer but don't dunk it.

You are not going to be able to clean the insides of the phone well without taking it apart.

He is going to need this.......

Samsung Galaxy S3 Disassembly & Assembly

vito032

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
A bag of rice will dry it out. Just take the battery out and stick it in a bag if dry rice for a few days.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Android Central Forums

ccmiked

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
So.. After cleaning the interior components in distilled water and then a little submersion in alcohol.. I got everything working except the back camera... I am thinking about buying the camera on ebay for about thirty bucks and seeing if that will work .. Then just ride it out to its inevitable future death.. Just love the phone even more just for working after all this... I will let you guys know what happens when I get the replacement camera

Tonyrsemaan

May 24, 2012
Visit site
Ha that's funny my 2 year old jumped in to the pool after I took his water wings off last week. Had to jump in with my clothes to but took phone outta my pocket first.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

prepaidguy9081

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Proper submerged method to save your device
Imediatly pull the battery
Open phone
Get q-tips and rubbing alcohol
Clean everything
Circit board, batt termenals, all metal, even the inside and outside of the case.

Now wate a day

Meanwhile, go online and find a matching submersion sticker on ebay and watch it.

Now next day, turn on device with fingers crossed. Should work fine, no corosion but a short may have occurred during initial submersion.

If you are having errors, boot into dl mode and flash a new recovery and flash a rom if possable.

If still no luck. Buy the new sticker on ebay, replace yours, go to the store [nope I never submerged it mr cellphone guy]

Sent from my SGH-T889

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood