Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 23 of 23
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By xliderider
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Ricky Babalu's Avatar
    BEACH BUM

    Posts
    1,970 Posts
    ROM
    Stock : Rooted, Unlocked

    Default Boot Up Screen: "Custom" "Unlocked"

    Weird thing happened yesterday when I powered my phone down and restarted. A screen appeared that said: "Custom" and below that a lock icon that read "Unlocked" ? It happened so quick that I was not able to get a screen shot of it. Anyone else notice this?


    BTW, I am stock and not rooted.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Boot Up Screen: "Custom" "Unlocked"

    Others have reported this as well, though they are 100% stock.

    Mine never gave me that boot up screen even though I was on a rooted stock rom (root66) and had a custom recovery image. However, I recently loaded a VRLG1 rooted stock rom and started getting that Custom/Unlocked screen on bootup.

    EDIT: Have you contacted Verizon and asked them what's going on?
    a little obsessive...
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Ricky Babalu's Avatar
    BEACH BUM

    Posts
    1,970 Posts
    ROM
    Stock : Rooted, Unlocked

    Default Re: Boot Up Screen: "Custom" "Unlocked"

    Do you have a link where others are reporting this? I doubt I will get an informed reply back if I call Verizon, but I will give it a shot.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Boot Up Screen: "Custom" "Unlocked"

    yeah, between here and XDA, I've seen quite a few saying they were getting the "Custom" boot screen. One even came out of the box like that so they thought they may have had an unlocked bootloader but wasn't the case. I didn't actually get mine until I flashed cwm using the EZ-Recovery app which was weird as none of the flashing I did before made it come up. I'm thinking whatever code they have to trigger that boot screen is broken.
    Thanked by:
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Boot Up Screen: "Custom" "Unlocked"

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Babalu View Post
    Do you have a link where others are reporting this? I doubt I will get an informed reply back if I call Verizon, but I will give it a shot.
    Here's a thread on xda: Link

    At least one reported seeing this "out of the box". Might have to do with the VRALG1 update. Is that what is on your device?
    a little obsessive...
    Thanked by:
    Hing Wang likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    Ricky Babalu's Avatar
    BEACH BUM

    Posts
    1,970 Posts
    ROM
    Stock : Rooted, Unlocked

    Default Re: Boot Up Screen: "Custom" "Unlocked"

    Quote Originally Posted by xliderider View Post
    Here's a thread on xda: Link

    At least one reported seeing this "out of the box". Might have to do with the VRALG1 update. Is that what is on your device?
    I Pre-ordered mine so I have the original: I535VRLF2


    The only things I can think of that possibly could trigger this are:
    Nova Launcher: Doubt it
    I disabled some apps through the ICS built in feature: Maybe
    FoxFi: Maybe
    Last edited by Ricky Babalu; 08-13-2012 at 03:23 PM.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Boot Up Screen: "Custom" "Unlocked"

    Yep, I got the "Custom" "Unlocked" (with an icon of an open lock) just this morning. Not sure if this is a bad thing or a good thing - maybe it is just a "thing". I'm using Nova Launcher and Foxfi, as well as the Google Wallet hack and the Google Now apk. That's it. Not sure which one or a combination of them have prompted my phone to show the unlock icon upon boot. Heading to the XDA link to find out more...

    ed: oops, and the phone is rooted with the Clockwork Mod thing...that really is it.....I think...
    Last edited by Metups; 08-14-2012 at 12:09 PM.
  8. #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Metups View Post
    Yep, I got the "Custom" "Unlocked" (with an icon of an open lock) just this morning. Not sure if this is a bad thing or a good thing - maybe it is just a "thing". I'm using Nova Launcher and Foxfi, as well as the Google Wallet hack and the Google Now apk. That's it. Not sure which one or a combination of them have prompted my phone to show the unlock icon upon boot. Heading to the XDA link to find out more...

    ed: oops, and the phone is rooted with the Clockwork Mod thing...that really is it.....I think...
    CWM is why. Once you flash a custom recovery you get the icon.
    Wear it like a badge of honor.

    As for you stock guys, has anyone tried a factory reset?

    Sent from my rooted/modded/stock Samsung Galaxy S3 using Android Central Forums
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Boot Up Screen: "Custom" "Unlocked"

    Quote Originally Posted by jaj6503 View Post
    CWM is why. Once you flash a custom recovery you get the icon.
    Wear it like a badge of honor.

    As for you stock guys, has anyone tried a factory reset?

    Sent from my rooted/modded/stock Samsung Galaxy S3 using Android Central Forums
    Seems it just randomly appears with no rhyme or reason. One got it after using TiBu to freeze apps and another pre-ordered and it had the custom boot screen out of the box. I rooted using both the odin and ez-root methods, flashed cwm using adb and even flashed cm9/cm10 without triggering it. Flashed cwm 6.0.1.0 using the EZ-Recovery app and now have it every boot. Nothing a restore back-to-stock with Odin wouldn't fix but kind of annoying not to know an exact cause nonetheless.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Boot Up Screen: "Custom" "Unlocked"

    Mine did it this morning first time I saw it. I have been having signal issues and been on the phone with tech support a lot. Originaly I had a Pre order but they replaced it and I got an "updated" model. I have not attempted to root it yet.
  11. #11  

    Default

    Mine is doing this and it is a refurb. When it does this all radios shut down on the phone and I have to constantly restart. Waiting on another refurb today. And I am fully stock.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Boot Up Screen: "Custom" "Unlocked"

    FYI, after flashing the unlocked bootloader image that has been leaked, the Custom/Unlocked screen is gone.
    a little obsessive...
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Boot Up Screen: "Custom" "Unlocked"

    Quote Originally Posted by xliderider View Post
    FYI, after flashing the unlocked bootloader image that has been leaked, the Custom/Unlocked screen is gone.
    YES... and I am HIGHLY disappointed. I had just took a liking to it.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Boot Up Screen: "Custom" "Unlocked"

    I've gotten this a few times now but I am fully stock.
  15. #15  

    Default

    If you realty hate it you could always odin to an official untouched build.

    Sent from my unlocked/modded Samsung Galaxy S3 using Android Central Forums
  16. #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jaj6503 View Post
    If you realty hate it you could always odin to an official untouched build.

    Sent from my unlocked/modded Samsung Galaxy S3 using Android Central Forums
    But then people wouldn't give me geek cred...

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Boot Up Screen: "Custom" "Unlocked"

    Quote Originally Posted by jaj6503 View Post
    If you realty hate it you could always odin to an official untouched build.

    Sent from my unlocked/modded Samsung Galaxy S3 using Android Central Forums
    That still doesn't guaranty you won't get the screen at some point though. Users on 100% stock software have gotten the screen.
    a little obsessive...
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Boot Up Screen: "Custom" "Unlocked"

    For what it's worth.

    I contacted Verizon tech support who didn't know anything about the screen, which doesn't surprise me since they don't seem to know anything about the S3 at all. They then conference called me with Samsung tech support who seemed almost as clueless other than trying to avoid the subject by telling me I was holding the volume button at the same time as the power button even after I told I made sure I wasn't. They had me boot up into manual mode and do a manual reboot. They said if that didn't fix it it would need a factory reset. So far mine is bone stock. Have been waiting to see if they could help with my signal strength problem before trying to mod it. Have only gotten the padlock screen once sine the manual reboot 3 days ago.
  19. #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xliderider View Post
    That still doesn't guaranty you won't get the screen at some point though. Users on 100% stock software have gotten the screen.
    Worked for me Ace.

    Sent from my rooted/modded/stock Samsung Galaxy S3 using Android Central Forums
  20. #20  
    Hovik818's Avatar

    Posts
    270 Posts
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted

    Default Re: Boot Up Screen: "Custom" "Unlocked"

    For me it appeared once. Never got to see it a 2nd time.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Boot Up Screen: "Custom" "Unlocked"

    I got the custom unlock screen this morning. Stock everything but lots of problems with random reboots. Seems to happen most often when playing a video, on sd or from a source like facebook. Currently overwriting memory with dummy file generator to see if that will "heal" the memory and maybe fix.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Boot Up Screen: "Custom" "Unlocked"

    Hello the way to fix it is you have to hold your home button down close all Task manager clear memory twice then hold power button shutdown then while it's shutting down hold power button and home button for ten Sec then reboot and it's gone
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Boot Up Screen: "Custom" "Unlocked"

    Quote Originally Posted by legitmod View Post
    Hello the way to fix it is you have to hold your home button down close all Task manager clear memory twice then hold power button shutdown then while it's shutting down hold power button and home button for ten Sec then reboot and it's gone
    This does work thanks!!

    Phone: galaxy s4 active i537
    Stock rooted

Posting Permissions