1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Question about my screen going black - Galaxy S3

Hi All - One question I have regarding my screen going black. I often hold the phone in my right hand, and use my thumb to pull down the notification bar. When this happens my thumb will cover the camera for a split second causing the screen to go black (essentially locking the phone) causing me to unlock and start over to pick up where I left off. This can get annoying because I inadvertently do this an awful lot. At first I thought it had something to do with the "smart stay" feature which I disabled but that did not resolve the issue. I read on another forum that it had something to do with the phone thinking that you had it up to your ear during a call, making it go black to save power, but wouldn't that only apply to when you are making phone calls? This issue happens when I am at my home screen just noodling around with my phone and not necessarily making phone calls. I'm sure I'm not the only one having this issue. Does anybody have any advice on how to solve it? Thanks in advance!

Dub
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Question about my screen going black - Galaxy S3

**bump**

I have the app Screebl Lite installed to keep my GS3 screen from timing out when I'm holding it. It doesn't do anything when I cover the camera like you described. I also don't use Smart Stay.
    a little obsessive...

Global Posts
    10,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

It happens. I have had it happen several times before the lock screen would place. Effen Samsung Korea crap.

That's weird I just tried it with my phone. I put my thumb over the camera and sensors and nothing happened, even held it there for an extended time I also don't use smart stay. Try turning smart stay on then off again and see if that helps. Worth a shot

If you have auto brightness enabled try turning it off. Also worth a shot.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

I had the same problem. After fussing with the various settings in motion and display without success, I surmised this was an app that I had loaded misbehaving. Uninstalling 'catlog' remedied the issue. Not sure if other installed apps exhibit the same behavior, but that cured it for me.

hey guys,

I am having the same problem from my lock screen, when I cover the sensor with any shadow the screen goes black,

I have downloaded lots of apps so its hard to figure out which one is causing the problem,

let me know if you you have any more information,

Definitely check your apps...!I had downloaded the smartscreen off app and that was the problem. I installed the app and my phone immediately fixed itself.