Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Gs3 and google wallet

Ok so a friend just bought the Gs3 over the weekend. Today she went to sign up for google wallt, but when she did it wasn't there. I sent her the link to it, but when she when to dl it said that Verizon doesn't support or something like that.

Can any one tell me why?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    516 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock Rooted, Unlocked

Verizon doesn't support Google Wallet, in fact they have blocked it.

She needs to root to use Wallet on the S3.

Had it on the GNex, totally miss it.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S3.

Quote Originally Posted by broadwayblues View Post

NeilQ from Asus Transformer with Tapatalk 2

Do you mean that there are plenty of merchants that you use that accept it, or did you find other uses for it? I've been debating about getting going on the wallet, but am thinking that it isn't that big a deal, at the moment. Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by broadwayblues View Post
    Verizon doesn't support Google Wallet, in fact they have blocked it.

She needs to root to use Wallet on the S3.

Verizon isn't blocking it, Google is.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    Verizon isn't blocking it, Google is.

Why is that

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by b_leonard View Post
    Why is that

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Who knows. The one x is blocked as well.

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

It's weird bc my buddy has the Sprint gs3 and he was able to dl the update for it and everything. And then my other friends had the Verizon one and can't dl the app period.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Default Re: Gs3 and google wallet

Actually Verizon is a reason why it is blocked. They've talked about their own google wallet like payment system.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk4 View Post
    Actually Verizon is a reason why it is blocked. They've talked about their own google wallet like payment system.
    Verizon has no control over the 'sorry your handset is not yet supported' deal. That is 100% Google not allowing wallet to run on specific phones.

Actually, the error message that appears on the GS3 is ... "Unfortunately, Google Wallet is not yet available for your device or mobile network" The reason why it is blocked on Verizon and AT&T phones is because they are trying to bring out their own mobile payment system called ISIS.

Verizon has no control over the 'sorry your handset is not yet supported' deal. That is 100% Google not allowing wallet to run on specific phones.

uhm....it's Verizon's fault that it's blocked. They've stated their BS security reasons for it being blocked multiple times. If it were up to google, all android devices would have google wallet but it seems that only Sprint is on board with wallet and paypass while the others want to go with ISIS.

Carrier
    CM10

ISIS? Like on Archer?

thats because att blocks it to

Quote Originally Posted by PJnc284 View Post
    uhm....it's Verizon's fault that it's blocked. They've stated their BS security reasons for it being blocked multiple times. If it were up to google, all android devices would have google wallet but it seems that only Sprint is on board with wallet and paypass while the others want to go with ISIS.
    Verizon has no control over whether Google adds compatibility for specific devices.

Verizon has it blocked that is why it is on certain Gnex like the Sprint and not the Verizon one.

Sent from my AT100 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    1,057 Global Posts
    Carrier
    SwampMonster V1.0!!!!!

Verizon has no control over whether Google adds compatibility for specific devices.

Of course they do. It's on their network.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Louie View Post
    Of course they do. It's on their network.

Not at all. That is not what the issue is.

Carrier
    CM10

Why would Google block the app??? It's their app!

Verizon and AT&T are forcing them to block it because they want their customers to use some other software.

Not at all. That is not what the issue is.

What's the issue then? Even Google has said that Verizon has asked them to not include functionality for device on their network. Verizon single handedly made Android relevant with the OG Droid. They have A LOT more influence than you seem to believe.
    sparesr4sissies likes this.

I sent Verizon an email about this, below find my email to them and their BS response:

Your email found its way to me, and while we appreciate your interest in Google Wallet, we don’t have any updates to share beyond the statement you found online. I’ve copied it again here.
    Verizon does not block applications. Google Wallet is different from other widely-available m-commerce services. Google Wallet does not simply access the operating system and basic hardware of our phones like thousands of other applications. Instead, in order to work as architected by Google, Google Wallet needs to be integrated into a new, secure and proprietary hardware element in our phones. We are continuing our commercial discussions with Google on this issue.
    I can’t comment on any rooted phones, as once someone chooses to root their device the warranty may be voided or the device may become inoperable.
    Best,
    Debi Lewis
    Verizon Wireless
    Corporate Communications
    908-559-7512 (desk)

Sent: Monday, August 06, 2012 12:17 PM
    To: Nelson, Jeffrey C
    Subject:

Mr. Nelson,
    I found this article Statement From Verizon On Google Wallet where it was written that Verizon is not blocking Google Wallet but I have say that I believe the information is false. Several people have gotten Wallet to work on their S3’s and Nexus devices but they have had to change the carrier name in the root system to do so, something I wish I had the skill to do. It is said, and you will find it all over the interwebs, specifically XDA and Android Central that Verizon is blocking Google Wallet to make way for the new ISIS system that is coming out. My S3 has an NFC chip, and it is capable of secure transactions but when I loaded Google Wallet into my device it tells me that CARRIER DOES NOT SUPPORT, I get the same if I try to use the play store to download Google Wallet. I would like to know if there is an update on this issue, several people, and I am meaning thousands are wanting this feature to work, you’re the largest carrier and the most costly and yet Sprint is beating you in some of the advanced areas which is pretty sad.

That's the same BS they tried to say last year after google called them out on not wanting the app when the GNex was released. And saying they don't block apps is an outright lie especially with the recent settlement regarding tethering apps.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/12/06/tech...llet/index.htm

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7B50JM20111206

Quote Originally Posted by PJnc284 View Post
    That's the same BS they tried to say last year after google called them out on not wanting the app when the GNex was released. And saying they don't block apps is an outright lie especially with the recent settlement regarding tethering apps.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/12/06/tech...llet/index.htm

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7B50JM20111206
    They do not block wallet. Period.

Carrier
    CM10

They do not block wallet. Period.
    You really need to get off this stance. Everybody keeps proving you wrong, yet you keep insisting that Verizon has nothing to do with it. Nothing shows that Google is blocking it, while everything points to Verizon blocking it.

I can't figure out if you really believe this or if you're just trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by sparesr4sissies View Post
    You really need to get off this stance. Everybody keeps proving you wrong, yet you keep insisting that Verizon has nothing to do with it. Nothing shows that Google is blocking it, while everything points to Verizon blocking it.

I can't figure out if you really believe this or if you're just trolling.
    No one has posted any proof that Verizon is blocking wallet. There is proof to the contrary in the form of other devices on other networks being blocked in the same fashion, while other devices on those same networks are not. Google is the one denying access to wallet.

Global Posts
    1,057 Global Posts
    Carrier
    SwampMonster V1.0!!!!!

No one has posted any proof that Verizon is blocking wallet. There is proof to the contrary in the form of other devices on other networks being blocked in the same fashion, while other devices on those same networks are not. Google is the one denying access to wallet.

Why in the world would Google block it? Heven forbid that they would want to make money.

You keep saying that Google is doing the blocking. Where is YOUR proof?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast