Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tk-093
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Rasbean Jelly/Trinity

Default Annoying ads/Pop up's

My wife's GS3 has been getting extremely annoying and persistent ads/pop ups for apps and 3rd party app stores in her notification drawer. I have the GS3 for sprint and am not experiencing this. Does anyone have any ideas where this could be coming from so I can help her out......Thanks

Default Re: Annoying ads/Pop up's

It's from an app she installed. You can try Air Push Detector (in the market) or Ad Ons Detector (in the market) and see if it finds it so you can remove them or attempt to see what apps have been installed and remove it that way.
    Thanked by 3:

Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted Stock

Same rules as computers apply here.. Don't ever just download/install any free app as many free apps are laden with battery draining advertising "sub programs".. Heck even when I installed the "Samsung Apps" app from the Samsung site, I kept getting a pop-up to install something called "Ad Server" lol which I denied of course lol..
    My history: Ericsson 628, 768, T10, T28 World, Siemens S12, Nokia 8290, 3390, Motorola C330 , V70, Ericsson T68i, Motorola v100, Accompli 009, Sony Ericsson P800, T300, T610, O2 XDA II, BlackBerry 6210, Sanyo SCP5300, SCP8100, VM4500, PM8200, MM7400, MM8300, MM9000, BlackBerry 7750, Kyocera KX18, MM-A900, SCP8400, Pearl 8130, Tour 9630, Samsung Epic 4G, HTC Design 4G, Nook Tablet. CO's: Omnipoint, Voicestream, T-Mobile, (Amp'd for a short time) Sprint, Verizon

Global Posts
    1,621 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Yeah, it sucks. It seems more and more apps are doing it. AirPush Defender is a good one to identify them. That's also why I generally don't mind paying .99 for an ad free app, but on the Android platform, that isn't an option a lot of the time.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

ROM
    Rasbean Jelly/Trinity

Thanks for the tip and quick response. She is still learning android. I will look into the app software and try to identify the troublemaker(s). Thanks again

Sent from my Awesome Samsung Galaxy S3 via Tapatalk 2 baby.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

ROM
    Rasbean Jelly/Trinity

Quote Originally Posted by mike340t View Post
    Same rules as computers apply here.. Don't ever just download/install any free app as many free apps are laden with battery draining advertising "sub programs".. Heck even when I installed the "Samsung Apps" app from the Samsung site, I kept getting a pop-up to install something called "Ad Server" lol which I denied of course lol..
    Yeah, she likes to download stuff. I need to educate her a bit I see.

Try airblocker from the play store it just completely blocks them

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

ROM
    Rasbean Jelly/Trinity

1) What about doing a reset, clearing everything out and starting everything from scratch and only downloading reputable apps from the market if this app doesnt work?

Quote Originally Posted by whodatboy View Post
    1) What about doing a reset, clearing everything out and starting everything from scratch and only downloading reputable apps from the market if this app doesnt work?

It's hopefully just one app causing it. So there is no need to reset. Once you find the app, uninstall and that should fix it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

If your wife is anything like mine, she's playing a bunch of crap Zynga games like Words with Friends or Draw Something.

I uninstalled those the first time they pushed an ad to my notification bar. Love watching that company crash and burn.

My wife's GS3 has been getting extremely annoying and persistent ads/pop ups for apps and 3rd party app stores in her notification drawer. I have the GS3 for sprint and am not experiencing this. Does anyone have any ideas where this could be coming from so I can help her out......Thanks
    My sister's phone did the same thing. We think it was Instagram, after she uninstalled it the problem went away. Strangely, her friend's phone didn't have that issue.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

ROM
    Rasbean Jelly/Trinity

Thanks.....Had a long day today but will mess around with it tomorrow.

Root/install AdFree from the market, post results.

Sent from my unlocked/modded Samsung Galaxy S3 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    1,621 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Reputable apps are also the culprit. It's just another way for the dev to make money, but if they are going to do that, they need to list that in the permissions before you install.

dj hidroid likes this.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

ROM
    Rasbean Jelly/Trinity

Quote Originally Posted by tk-093 View Post
    Reputable apps are also the culprit. It's just another way for the dev to make money, but if they are going to do that, they need to list that in the permissions before you install.
    Really?? I had no idea. That sucks. I think I found the culprit though. We will see. Thanks again for all the helpful advice/tips

As mentioned above download the lookout mobile add detector and only use the play, amazon and Samsung app stores and you should be all good.
    Hello Galaxy

Global Posts
    1,621 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Ringdroid is an example. It just started to do that as far as I can tell. And in those cases, it's not like it's putting secret virus/keylogger software on your device.. it's just putting another method of advertising. While it is annoying, it's likely harmless.

Really?? I had no idea. That sucks. I think I found the culprit though. We will see. Thanks again for all the helpful advice/tips

You can add battery bomb even though it was already flagged by airpush. When I installed this widget they put ads in my notification bar.

I have the Lookout Ad Network Detector which accurately identified the culprit without me doing a hard reset.

I have over 80 apps and never saw a pop up ad. Installed one more clock widget and got a pop up ad within minutes. Un installed and haven't seen one since.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

I also suggest DroidWall. Love that app. I get to control which apps get to have access to the internet via both WiFi and 3G/4G. Have to be rooted to use it tho.

I just started getting pop up ads on my HTC Droid DNA. They appear with as an email icon, but will not clear. Always directs me to some game on the play store. I did notice as it is redirecting it goes to a yeahmobi web page first. I do not usually download games and I have not downloaded any thing recently prior to this annoying "feature" Any suggestions as to how to turn this off?

I had the same problem on my HTC One. What i figured out is if you go into settings you will see icons with bar graphs (green lines). I had two of them so I knew something was not right. I deleted them and all the popups stopped. I think they were called Apps. Now there is one Apps icon with green squares...do not delete that one. They may actually be in the Apps so if you don't find it under settings go to setting then into Apps. I did this a few months ago.
    Last edited by Michael Matz1; 11-19-2013 at 01:53 PM.