1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

Default Battery Life of the Galaxy

I am switching jobs to an IT position. And I currently have an HTC One X which I truly love. But my company uses Verizon so my AT&T phone would go bye bye. So now my question is how good/bad is the battery life with the Galaxy S3? I can get a pretty good battery life with my current HTC. My work is encouraging me to look into the iPhone but I kind of am more into Android than iPhone. But curious on battery life though since I am a heavy user.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    509 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted, Unlocked

I can see why people love the HOX so much. If there was one on Verizon I would be all over it. Having reviewed both phones I can say that the One X might edge out the S3 in battery life, however I wasn't on LTE with AT&T.

The S3 on LTE isn't bad at all, but it falls short of the HOX on HSPA+.

However I would be willing to bet that the S3 would be the stronger phone if they were both on equal footing, such as both on wifi.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S3.

Default Re: Battery Life of the Galaxy

Mine has been really great 18+ hours is easy with 3 hrs screen on time. It takes some tweaking at the start: I disabled S voice - I use power saving (but deselected CPU power saving in the power saving menu so my CPU is never on power save. I use auto brightness 99% of the time (some say that is a power sucker too vs. picking a fixed brightness level).

I also had to remove a version of Handcent, that, for me, was causing constant wake locks and draining my battery. I also manage my data - if I see it switching to 3g a lot (like deep in my building at work) I put it on wifi to keep it from working hard with the radios.

If you're gonna be working in IT, chances are you'll be sitting in front of a computer...a lot. Keep a charger at your workstation and plug in during the day...no worries!

I realize this doesn't answer your question, but I haven't had my S3 long enough to make a real evalutation. My last phone was a HTC Thunderbolt though, which is notorious for poor battery -- but I also work in IT, and just got into the habbit of plugging the sucker in around lunch time to charge it up.

Global Posts
    758 Global Posts

A coworker had an ATT HTC One X. I was jealous, with my HTC Thunderbolt on Verizon and the poor battery life it had. But it turned out his One X battery life was as bad. He returned it, and ATT gave him a new One X. After a week of suck battery, he returned that One X and got an ATT S3. He has MUCH better battery life with the S3. Could be better, but good enough. I realized that Verizon was never going to get the One X, or it wouldn't have an SD card slot, or a replaceable battery, so I switched to a S3 on Verizon. The first three days, the battery life SUCKED BIG TIME. I think I just had it on for too many hours a day playing with my new toy. Now I can get through a day with about 40% left. Good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by worwig View Post
    A coworker had an ATT HTC One X. I was jealous, with my HTC Thunderbolt on Verizon and the poor battery life it had. But it turned out his One X battery life was as bad. He returned it, and ATT gave him a new One X. After a week of suck battery, he returned that One X and got an ATT S3. He has MUCH better battery life with the S3. Could be better, but good enough. I realized that Verizon was never going to get the One X, or it wouldn't have an SD card slot, or a replaceable battery, so I switched to a S3 on Verizon. The first three days, the battery life SUCKED BIG TIME. I think I just had it on for too many hours a day playing with my new toy. Now I can get through a day with about 40% left. Good enough.
    Yeah, I've been an HTC fan for a while...but all those factors were just too much. Samsung just seemed to get more right this time around.

Yup, I've learned to never try to evaluate a new phone's battery until at least a week after activation...
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

I get good battery life with my HTC One X after about 10-12 hours I'll have about 15%-20% left which works for me. AMD that's my goal if the S3 can get me 10-12 hours then that will work. I don't expect a full crazy 18 hours or whatever.

I have found battery life really good on my S3. I'm in Los Angeles so I get good LTE signal. Although when I'm home I'm on wifi and I have a good 40% left at the end of a full day. On LTE its less but still pretty good.

I went to a relatively small town Minnesota that had no LTE so I was o a pretty good 3G signal all day and my battery life was significantly less. I usually had to charge my phone by the early evening.
    Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

Excellent that is what I wanted to hear. Now to see about hearing aid/cochlear implant compatibility!

I've had great battery life so far. This morning, I used it for 2 and a half hours, and it only ran down to 68%. My all-time best is 26 hours (no charging, all on 4G) with about 4 hours of screen time.

I get a fairly strong 4G signal, so I haven't noticed a huge change in battery life between 4G and wi-fi.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

Good deal - I live in Houston so its an LTE Network - so okay its looking good so far!
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    If you're gonna be working in IT, chances are you'll be sitting in front of a computer...a lot. Keep a charger at your workstation and plug in during the day...no worries!

I realize this doesn't answer your question, but I haven't had my S3 long enough to make a real evalutation. My last phone was a HTC Thunderbolt though, which is notorious for poor battery -- but I also work in IT, and just got into the habbit of plugging the sucker in around lunch time to charge it up.
    Actually I am going to be a field support engineer - my current job right now is sitting in front of a computer all day long not my bag. So now will be working out on the field which is what I wanted to do - which is why I was asking about the battery.