Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Slow 4g

    Is anyone else experiencing slower 4g than expected? I'm just north of DC and the most I get is 7 mbps. My friends rezound gets like twice that.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Slow 4g

    It's not an issue with the phone. As more and more people adopt lte the markets are getting saturated but 7 mbps is within what Verizon claims speed should be.(5-12mbps is what they claim i think) I've gotten as high as 32mbps and as slow as 2mbps in a major cities like Phillly. My guess is that if the new iphones are lte enabled we will see a stronger decrease in speed but at least Verizon has the most aggressive roll out of lte and soon it will be in over 400 markets. 3g for me is rarely above 1mbps so I'm good with any speed that is faster then that.
    Hello Galaxy
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default

    That's true. I came from a 3g phone so I'm happy with the speeds. Just wondering if it was the phone or the network
  4. #4  
    jerethi's Avatar

    Posts
    211 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    I've experienced a rather significant drop in my LTE speeds in Seattle. In my office, I used to be able to get anywhere from 10-20 Mbps. Now, from the same perch, I'm lucky to get more than 3. I don't mean to fuel a fire here-the speed is still more than adequate for my needs-but I have to wonder what has caused this fairly drastic drop.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
  5. #5  

    Default

    I've blocked the 4 g . The 3g is lightening fast compared to 4g. Awful

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
  6. #6  
    sparesr4sissies's Avatar

    Posts
    198 Posts
    ROM
    CM10

    Default Re: Slow 4g

    Quote Originally Posted by fascinatej View Post
    I've blocked the 4 g . The 3g is lightening fast compared to 4g. Awful

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    Something must be broken if this is really the case for you.
  7. #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sparesr4sissies View Post
    Something must be broken if this is really the case for you.
    Or he is in a fringe 4g area. I have been in weak signal areas where 3g is faster than 4g. But in strong signal areas, 4g would be way faster. I have seen over 60mbps on several occasions on 4g, on 3g,max i have seen is about 2mbps.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Slow 4g

    Ran a few speed test...Seems to be on par with my old Thunderbolt device. (Northern VA).

    The only strange thing for me is that I've been getting much faster upload speeds on my recent tests...which I don't think I've ever seen before!

    Generally, I get anywhere from 7 to 9 kbps down and 10-13 kbps up on the few tests I've ran this morning. I think network saturation has more to do with it than anything else. I got the Thunderbolt at launch, and back then I could consistently get 25-30 kbps down, but as the months went by and more and more 4G LTE devices were sold, my average speeds slowly worked their way into the advertised "5 to 12 kbps" zone. Granted, that may be due to Verizon throttling speeds down a bit too on their end, but there are obviously more LTE devices being activated every day, which would affect bandwidth as well.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default

    I tested in a mother area and I think it was just a bad area. Got 14mbps at home.
  10. #10  

    Default

    You have got major problems if you are getting 30kbps or less. That is very slow. You should see faster speeds even on 1x. I think you meant mbps.

    Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    Ran a few speed test...Seems to be on par with my old Thunderbolt device. (Northern VA).

    The only strange thing for me is that I've been getting much faster upload speeds on my recent tests...which I don't think I've ever seen before!

    Generally, I get anywhere from 7 to 9 kbps down and 10-13 kbps up on the few tests I've ran this morning. I think network saturation has more to do with it than anything else. I got the Thunderbolt at launch, and back then I could consistently get 25-30 kbps down, but as the months went by and more and more 4G LTE devices were sold, my average speeds slowly worked their way into the advertised "5 to 12 kbps" zone. Granted, that may be due to Verizon throttling speeds down a bit too on their end, but there are obviously more LTE devices being activated every day, which would affect bandwidth as well.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Slow 4g

    I think I'm in a dead spot in terms of 4g at my house. I can bearly manage a two bars of it and often fall back to 3g. This is in the northern suburbs of Dallas. A few miles from my house I've seen speeds easily in the 40mbps range.
  12. #12  

    Default

    Signal Bars in the notification bar indicate voice signal strength.

    Quote Originally Posted by AllenA07 View Post
    I think I'm in a dead spot in terms of 4g at my house. I can bearly manage a two bars of it and often fall back to 3g. This is in the northern suburbs of Dallas. A few miles from my house I've seen speeds easily in the 40mbps range.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Slow 4g

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    You have got major problems if you are getting 30kbps or less. That is very slow. You should see faster speeds even on 1x. I think you meant mbps.
    Maybe where you live... anywhere from 10-20 kbps has been normal for me, and that's on 3 different 4G LTE devices, and as I mentioned, I've had a Thunderbolt since launch, so I've been running LTE for a while. Any friends in my area usually get about the same.

    This morning my tests were a bit on the low side, but I don't have a really strong signal here at my apartment. When I'm in the vicinity of my office however, I can usually get ~20 kbps download speeds. I haven't seen 30 kbps since the first few weeks I owned the Tbolt though.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Slow 4g

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    You have got major problems if you are getting 30kbps or less. That is very slow. You should see faster speeds even on 1x. I think you meant mbps.
    Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    Maybe where you live... anywhere from 10-20 kbps has been normal for me, and that's on 3 different 4G LTE devices, and as I mentioned, I've had a Thunderbolt since launch, so I've been running LTE for a while. Any friends in my area usually get about the same.

    This morning my tests were a bit on the low side, but I don't have a really strong signal here at my apartment. When I'm in the vicinity of my office however, I can usually get ~20 kbps download speeds. I haven't seen 30 kbps since the first few weeks I owned the Tbolt though.

    Oh, I just realized my fault...I'm talking kbps instead of Mbps...sorry, it was too early in the morning when I made my first post! Just multiply anything I said by 1000kbps.
  15. #15  
    MikeNY's Avatar

    Posts
    212 Posts
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts

    Default Re: Slow 4g

    I had 45mbps yesterday on 4G, fastest I have ever seen. When I had the Nexus and Rezound and was right at JFK aiport the 4g speeds are around 30-32mbps. I was in upstate (Dutchess county) yesterday and hit 45mbps. I have never seen anything like that before.
    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Slow 4g

    Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    Ran a few speed test...Seems to be on par with my old Thunderbolt device. (Northern VA).

    The only strange thing for me is that I've been getting much faster upload speeds on my recent tests...which I don't think I've ever seen before!

    Generally, I get anywhere from 7 to 9 kbps down and 10-13 kbps up on the few tests I've ran this morning. I think network saturation has more to do with it than anything else. I got the Thunderbolt at launch, and back then I could consistently get 25-30 kbps down, but as the months went by and more and more 4G LTE devices were sold, my average speeds slowly worked their way into the advertised "5 to 12 kbps" zone. Granted, that may be due to Verizon throttling speeds down a bit too on their end, but there are obviously more LTE devices being activated every day, which would affect bandwidth as well.
    I've seen higher upload speeds with a few different phones from time to time, also when doing speed tests make sure and check the server that is closest to you for the most accurate reading.
    Hello Galaxy

Posting Permissions

B