Apple Headphones, don't work on S3 to make calls....

sardar615

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone else seeing this??? I have a bunch of OEM and Non OEM Apple headphones with Mic and I cannot seem to get them working on my S3 :'(. Thought it was my phone, so I went and tried it on my wife's phone, and same thing. Tried my brothers, and sister in laws, and all the same. I am not sure how the phone would even know that I am connecting an Apple headphones vs any other headphones but I cannot get anyone to hear me when I use them or use the S Voice or talk and text feature....Not sure why that would be :confused:, but this is second negative that I have found with this phone.....Is anyone else seeing this or are all the headphones that I have defective???? Would love to hear what other people think or if they are having this issue, thanks.

Sardar615-

P.S. - First being battery life :( , but to me it is not a big deal since I am in the office, or car most of the day, I can charge it anytime :cool:.
I have also posted this in the Verizon accessory forum, but didn't get any responses, so I am posting in the general thread....hopefully, it will get some responses....

gorgalis

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Apple moves the mic band on the headphone plug so that they will only work with an iPhone. There are 2 reasons for this:

1. You can't use iPhone headphones to their full capability with other phones.
2. You have to buy headphones licensed by Apple.

Use the headphones/mic thay came with your s3 or buy any generic pair.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like you're just looking for negatives.. Apple accessories not working with these phones is a given. Note: the Apple charger won't work either :eek: Apple likes being "different". If anyone made their phone compatible with Iphone plugs, Apple will just sue them...
Personally I love when company is over for the day and everyone is using my chargers around the house, and then I'll have one Iphone user asking if I have a charger lol..
BTW how long is your battery lasting for it to be a problem? I seriously get over 15-25 hours depending on my usage..

Last edited:

dj hidroid

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you're just looking for negatives.. Apple accessories not working with these phones is a given. Note: the Apple charger won't work either :eek: Apple likes being "different". If anyone made their phone compatible with Iphone plugs, Apple will just sue them...
Personally I love when company is over for the day and everyone is using my chargers around the house, and then I'll have one Iphone user asking if I have a charger lol..
BTW how long is your battery lasting for it to be a problem? I seriously get over 15-25 hours depending on my usage..

That is funny and for all the heads that bought power bags or portable chargers Apple is making the charger a 20 pin this time around so all of the sheep will have to buy new car chargers and what not. I've worked in wireless for over a decade and the fact that all androids use the same charger is a beautiful thing.

gorgalis

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Its not about being different. Hold. The plug of a standard pair of headphones with a mic next to an Apple pair. There will be 3 "bands" around the plug, one for the left bud, one for the right, and one for the mic. The one that doesn't line up is the one for the mic. There is no reason to do this other than to force iPhone users to use certain headphones.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

DJSgalaxy

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I have a set of Beats Solo HDs that came with a cord that has a mic and controls to use on an iphone. It doesn't work on my SIII. It's the fact that Apple tries to control what accessories their users have to buy.

Sent from my VZW Samsung Galaxy SIII

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Also, I have a bunch of BlackBerry headphones and they work just fine.

This is not a "negative thing" about the S3, it's just Apple being Apple -- they may make great products*, but they don't play well with others.

*your opinion may vary, just quoting general public sentiment

sparesr4sissies

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm guessing Apple has a patent on this design. Therefore, they're probably charging manufacturers licensing fees to make headphones that work with iDevices, and nobody else is allowed to make devices that use the same headphones. It works for them and their plan of "if you buy one Apple product, you must buy them all."

lbkiml

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
When did apple get approved for the patent? Once that patent expires, china or all the other 3rd party companies would be all over making headphones compatible for iphones.

sparesr4sissies

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I just did a search on Google patents and found a bunch of stuff pertaining to Apple earbuds and microphones, but couldn't get through all the legal-speak to actually figure out which patent actually referred to this. I'm guessing by the time the patents expire, Apple will change the design a little bit, requiring new patents, and everyone will have to update their devices to match their new "standards."

pakmansi

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand why this is a negative for this phone? It's kinda like saying this phone sucks because the Apple charger doesn't fit it. I'm kinda angry that Apple isn't conforming to other manufacturer's universal standards.

lbkiml

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I just did a search on Google patents and found a bunch of stuff pertaining to Apple earbuds and microphones, but couldn't get through all the legal-speak to actually figure out which patent actually referred to this. I'm guessing by the time the patents expire, Apple will change the design a little bit, requiring new patents, and everyone will have to update their devices to match their new "standards."

Jesus, if Apples does that, they can suck a big one.
I'm glad I'm not with apple on something I use more often.

sparesr4sissies

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand why this is a negative for this phone? It's kinda like saying this phone sucks because the Apple charger doesn't fit it. I'm kinda angry that Apple isn't conforming to other manufacturer's universal standards.

I think everyone here is of the same consensus except the OP. I remember a few years ago when it was agreed upon that micro USB was going to be the standard throughout ALL manufacturers.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
You guys seriously need to put down the kool aid. Apple does not have a patent for their headphone jack. They just use a different pin configuration than others, which accessory manufacturers must have in order to get the made for iPhone label. There is no patent.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

sardar615

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site

I am saying it is a negative to me, because 1) I can't use the headphones that I have at home, though I can use them in my old Bionic, Incredible, or the blackberry for work, but I can't use them on my S3. :mad: So it may not be the configuration of the bands but something with Samsung as well....Why else would they work on other devices and not the S3.
2) Which is probably more of the reason why it is a negative to me......I wear a turban and can only use a very limited set of headphones and up until now, the apple headphones, whether oem or generic were ok, but now I have to find different ones that are small enough and LOUD enough for me. And as other posters have said, I would love to buy the Beats, or use the ones that came with the phone but because of my religous obligations, I cannot get them under my turban.

sardar615

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
I think everyone here is of the same consensus except the OP. I remember a few years ago when it was agreed upon that micro USB was going to be the standard throughout ALL manufacturers.

Sparesr4sissies, I can understand what you mean by the consensus, but apple would have had to either provide adaptors or change billions of units, docks, phones, and other accessories at that time to get with the standard, so why would they spend billions, to do that, when there were no regulations and the market was so defragmented that every maker had their own proprietary plugs. I have gone through so many different plugs that it is not even funny and there was a point, the same phone maker had various chargers....I remember going from a samsung phone to another samsung phone having to buy different chargers....
But now that EU is requiring a universal plug, it is being approached and that is why it is becoming the norm not because the phone makers are choosing to do this, but it is still not in the same location on all phones, Motorola likes theirs on the right side so that their lapdock can work, HTC wants it on the left, Samsung wants it on the bottom for some strange reason (this is an example, I do not want to be attacked by people saying what an idiot, he doesn't even know where the phone connects)...... so if we are going to go with the universal theme, why not make the location universal as well, so that all phones can work on all docks, and accessories and we don't have to keep turning s**t around. But then again, it doesn't really matter, and pardon the ramblings of a guy bored at work.....LOL :D
PS....I am not an apple fan boy. I just love having a different phone every few months....:cool:

sparesr4sissies

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
. So if we are going to go with the universal theme, why not make the location universal as well, so that all phones can work on all docks, and accessories and we don't have to keep turning s**t around. But then again, it doesn't really matter, and pardon the ramblings of a guy bored at work.....lol :d

why can't they just all be friends!?!?!?!?!?!? :'(