Long time apple fan boy looking to jump ship

rockhopperGS3

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
The size and weight of the iphones are way outdated. Our GS3s have much larger screens but arent that much bigger overall and still way much less then the iphones plus we have 4G LTE, iphones work on 3G+. Besides paying a premium for an apple product that doesnt even have gorilla glass seems like a waste to me. But I think the next iphone will be larger, at least 4" screen so I would wait and see also.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I definitely think you should make the switch & am positive you won't regret it.

That said though, one of the things I immediately noticed Android was sadly lacking after I came from iOS was GLOBAL Badge Notifications.
Yes, alot of Android Apps support SMS / GMail / Missed Calls but frankly, that's not nearly good enough IMO.
It might seem like a minor thing to Android Users that aren't familiar with them, but personally after having them I can't go back to not, so was really surprised & disappointed that it wasn't stock in the Android OS.

However, recently I've found a way - here's how you can get GLOBAL Badge Notifications working on Android--> http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=199709

truthfamilyfaith

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Im doing it for sure. Jumpin ship. Gonna get the s3....well in October when I can upgrade. Thank you all so so much.i can't wait to learn about this amazing product and all it's accessories!!

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I will admit I am a little Android fanboyish but just hear me out.
Android beats anything Apple can produce. I seriously don't see why people obsess over the iPhone when there are Android devices with 2x-3x the processing power / available features and since Android is open there are a million and one things you could do with that device, just look at Motorola working Android to be what they call a Web Dock that can transform into basically a desktop computer with more processing power than a standard netbook that is perfect for traveling,etc. ( I use my Droid Razr to get work done on the go!)

As far as apps, the selection on Android over the past few years has flourished! I now believe it to have flip flopped to where Apple is now the one with the lesser quality apps due to the stunning graphics and performance of Tegra Zone games and Gameloft games that just simply look stunning on a full HD display and they even rival current gen consoles when paired with a bluetooth game controller and an external display via HDMI out. Yes I realize iOS uses the Apple TV to put games out on external devices but even that is whack. It requires a WiFi network that is FAST, a $100 Apple TV accessory that is simply not worth it (I have one for my MacBook Pro and it just sits there collecting dust), and it lags super bad even on my 600mb/s WiFi router.
Performance and responsiveness is amazing after ICS and Jelly Bean updates. I remember when Android was slow and unresponsive on Froyo but now with Jelly Bean it is simply amazing. Project Butter is a giant success and it's performance rivals iOS!
Diversity...This is the single best thing about Android! If you want a phone with a keyboard, here is a Droid 4. Want a phone with top notch performance.. here is a SGS3. Get my point? And considering you have until October to pick a device, you are in the perfect position to switch because by October there should be some amazing devices available! I would bet that by then there are a few Nexus Devices, the Droid Razr HD, Droid Razr M, and maybe even an Intel Powered Motorola Device :)! Two months may not seem like a long time in the world of Apple but in Android land, it makes a big difference!

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I have a GNex, iPhone 4, iPod, Lumia, BlackBerry, Kindle Fire & a N7 so I have access to pretty much all OS' (other than webOS)...that being said, while I absolutely love Android & have no desire whatsoever to change it from being my choice for daily use, it most definitely is the most complicated one with the most that "can" go wrong.

Without even bothering to talk about BlackBerry (LoL), WP7 & iPhone personally I see as the better choice for first time smartphone buyers. Yes, neither of them do much (compared to Android), but everything they do is done well.
By contrast, I find while yes, Android does pretty much everything & anything I could possibly want or even imagine it to do, sometimes it's like it can do "too" much. Once you get use to it, sure, it's awesome...but the learning curve is much more steep on Android than on WP7 or iPhone.

Personally, when friends ask my suggestion I ask their past phone purchases & general comfort level with technology. If they're tech-savy I have no problem recommending Android. If however they aren't, I'll usually recommend a high-end Lumia (WP7) because that at least will get them in the door & in a year or 2 when time to upgrade they'll be ready for Android.

Also, if I recommend an iPhone there's a good chance that after 2yrs they'll pretty be locked into that ecosystem from all the content they've purchased. Whereas 2yrs on WP7 they'll spend a mere fraction due to the lack of content available so it's much easier to then make the jump and repurchase content when they move to Android.
That contributes a lot to why I can't leave Android - I have over 1,500$ in Apps & games alone so it would be near impossible for me to justify leaving it altogether.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Ive had iPhones since the 3G(currently have iphone4) Praised them ubunently.i know the hardware and iOS front and backwards. I've also been jail breaking my iPhone since the beginning. But now I'm starting to see apple is more for ease of use than tech geeks or feature rich junkies. I've been doing crazy amounts of research on the s3 and android OS. I'm scared to make the jump but not impressed with apples current direction in making phones so easy and bland the elderly can master it. Should I make the switch to the s3? Thanks to all here for their input to this scared apple fan boy.

Yesterday I bought the S3. I am getting used to the texting and having a rough time with the suggestive auto correct functionality. But overall its a great product and far superior to my Iphone 4.

One of my main concerns was going to a bigger phone. However, that is not a concern anymore

sparesr4sissies

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Yesterday I bought the S3. I am getting used to the texting and having a rough time with the suggestive auto correct functionality. But overall its a great product and far superior to my Iphone 4.

One of my main concerns was going to a bigger phone. However, that is not a concern anymore

I'd suggest experimenting with other keyboards. I'm very happy with Swype, while many others swear by SwiftKey. I know there are others out there; I'm sure there's one that you'll love!

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Well is Apple would spend the all the money they spend suing everyone, and put it into R&D, they wold have an awesome phone again.

truthfamilyfaith

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Ya know I think I stuck with apple so long because android was brand new( I believe anyway) when I got my first iPhone and I just assumed apple was the forerunner on technology since than. Of course I have been jail breaking constantly since the 3G and that should have been my first sign I need to look elsewhere. I am a tech junkie. I love figuring out features and new things. It's my joy. The more features something has the longer an content. I am beyond board with ios. IOS is solid don't get me wrong but I would compromise stability for more tech featires(obviously because of being a long time jailbreaker). After reading of google now being a better voice assistant than Siri and S voice expectingly getting more and more updates and the choice of wireless charging I am so sold. What I'm unsure of is the audio quality on the s3. The iPhone was of course derived from the iPod a device made for music. I am a professional musician so I need me some good sound. Any thoughts on sound quality?

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I was a BB user and switched to Android. Verizon didn't have the iPhone then. I am happy with Android. Also sold verizon prior to iPhone coning on board. I know its popular but I love to customize etc. My phone is very fluid. Been perfect. I live HTC. Have the Rezound. I have the wifi version Samsung Galaxy tab 10.1. Love it

sent from my Rezound

Voice-Guy

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site

SwiftKey 3 is on sale right now for only 99? USD. The way it learns what & how you type is incredible. Check it out in the Play Store.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Ya know I think I stuck with apple so long because android was brand new( I believe anyway) when I got my first iPhone and I just assumed apple was the forerunner on technology since than. Of course I have been jail breaking constantly since the 3G and that should have been my first sign I need to look elsewhere. I am a tech junkie. I love figuring out features and new things. It's my joy. The more features something has the longer an content. I am beyond board with ios. IOS is solid don't get me wrong but I would compromise stability for more tech featires(obviously because of being a long time jailbreaker). After reading of google now being a better voice assistant than Siri and S voice expectingly getting more and more updates and the choice of wireless charging I am so sold. What I'm unsure of is the audio quality on the s3. The iPhone was of course derived from the iPod a device made for music. I am a professional musician so I need me some good sound. Any thoughts on sound quality?

ya the stock earbuds sound good, even better with skullcandy's

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
When someone hands me their iPhone for any reason whether to ask for my help or just show me something I can't wait to get that thing out of my hands. I feel like I am using something from last years generation. Just the OS alone feels so unintuitive. If you are in an app you can't even go into it's settings from there, really?

Anyway, Android can be as simple or complicated as you want it to be.At my wife's school where she is a teacher they will have iPads for the classes to use. She said to me she needs to learn how to us an iPad since she has only used Android devices so far.

My answer to her was you know when your app draw, you know how to open an app from there right? I then said that is as far as iOS goes. You are now an expert. She was like that's it? I was like uh huh.........Sounds exciting right?

Even kids these days are brainwashed with Apple products and think that is the only thing to exist. We were using our HTC View tablet and my sister had asked what that even was. It doesn't look like an iPad. Then my 10 year old nephew says it is a device that I rigged to run like an iPad.

I just started laughing. I was like believe it or not but it has nothing to do with an iPad. I didn't rig anything. It is actually it's own device and runs Android. He looked at me like I had 10 heads.

Anyway, the S3 is a beast of a phone. Just got rid og my GNEX running Jelly Bean and I could not be happier. Jelly Bean will be a great update on the S3. The way it handles notifications is just so much better as you can now expand them to show you more in the notification bar.

Also, Google Now and it's search engine is fantastic. If you have not seen how Google Now works, do a video search on it and have a look. It is pretty cool now and will only get better. For example, if I am online with my computer and do a Google search for a restaurant or directions to somewhere, later when I am on my phone in my notifications menu it will have the place I was looking for, how long it will take me to get there and if I click it, it will then navigate me there.....

Last edited:

truthfamilyfaith

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Wow that all sounds amazingly intuitive. I have been doing some more reading on the s3 and reading a lot of people getting phantom cracks on thier screen and body an ports after a few weeks. Most seem to be owners of the white gs3. Anyone have any experience with that? I know the s3 isn't as strongly built as the iPhone so I'm wondering how long it'll last even with a case.

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
My phone didn't quote this right but it's supposed to be a reply to Eric 336!

This is basically how high school is. Me and my good friend are kinda techies and we love our Android phones. I use a Droid Razr while he uses a Samsung SGS3 and there's a group of kids that are brainwashed into thinking Apple is the best and they always try to make a joke about Android but let's just say they shut the hell up when my friend pulls out the SGS3 or when I show how thin the Droid Razr is but they're always ripping on how bad android is. I just sit there like could you be any dumber? And then they start going on about how the iPhone 5 is gonna be so good and I just sit there while they're naming the new features they heard about and I'm just like android has that, we've got that, oh and we've had that since 2010! And let's not even go into the discussions we have about the Apple vs Samsung trials and even the possible Samsung vs Apple over the 4G LTE stuff.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Even kids these days are brainwashed with Apple products and think that is the only thing to exist. We were using our HTC View tablet and my sister had asked what that even was. It doesn't look like an iPad. Then my 10 year old nephew says it is a device that I rigged to run like an iPad.

I just started laughing. I was like believe it or not but it has nothing to do with an iPad. I didn't rig anything. It is actually it's own device and runs Android. He looked at me like I had 10 heads

HA, awesome!
I would've sent him to a corner for accusing me of trying to rig anything to run like an iDevice..."It's an Android, junior!" *facepalm*