Long time apple fan boy looking to jump ship
09-12-2012 06:18 PM
- Ive had iPhones since the 3G(currently have iphone4) Praised them ubunently.i know the hardware and iOS front and backwards. I've also been jail breaking my iPhone since the beginning. But now I'm starting to see apple is more for ease of use than tech geeks or feature rich junkies. I've been doing crazy amounts of research on the s3 and android OS. I'm scared to make the jump but not impressed with apples current direction in making phones so easy and bland the elderly can master it. Should I make the switch to the s3? Thanks to all here for their input to this scared apple fan boy.09-01-2012 12:38 AM
- Cyber WarriorRobots Will KillI'm pretty sure you won't here a No in here jump ship, swim fast and don't look back. There will obviously be a slight learning curve when switching to a new OS but it sounds like you are already doing exactly what you should be.. researching and asking plenty of questions. We were all noobs at one point in time.. you've picked the right place to come, there's plenty of friendly and knowledgeable members here who are more then willing to help you get on your way.09-01-2012 01:10 AMLike 8
- My upgrade isn't until October,so your advice might be right on the button. If I woulda posted any comment even slightly talking down apple products on any of their sites I'd be ripped apart. The android community seems much lighter and willing to help. I just can't get over all the tech features on the s3. Ios6 looks boring as crap and I will probably jailbreak it again if i stick with apple.09-01-2012 10:20 AM
- I'm due for upgrade in November, going from a Blackberry to anything remotely resembling a Smart phone, LOL.
What I just did last night was buy a really inexpensive Nexus S 4G for use on my carrier that I will use until I see all of the phone options the rest of the year. Doing this allows me to test my carrier's (Sprint) data and voice service on something other than my BlackBerry for my area, and also allows for all the new phones to have their bugginess worked out before I lock in for 2 more years.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums09-01-2012 10:33 AMLike 2
- I think your assessment of Apple and their OS are right on.
Our company cellular is an Apple not because they are "the best", etc. but because they are the every person's phone. Easy to use, hard to break and Apple controls what you can and can't do with the phone. Apple is not trying to create a phone that is more technologically advanced than everyone else but a phone that everyone wants and can use....and they have more or less accomplished that. Personally, I prefer the Android OS because of my "Geeky nature".
Apple is a business and the bottom line is all that matters (as with everything else).09-01-2012 10:53 AM
- That's exactly how I feel. Apples not about going forward and breaking new ground it's about ease of use. I need crazy new features that sure I wouldn't use everyday but by god I have them. I havent been wowed by the iPhone in a long time(outside of jailbreaking). That dosnt negate the fact I still fear switching to android. I'm afraid the softwares clunky anthe hardwares cheap. This is all allegation for I have never owned an android device. But apple has one so bland to me. I'm tired of scowering the jailbreak community to add bells an whistles to my phone.09-01-2012 11:20 AM
- mzanetteZeeIve had iPhones since the 3G(currently have iphone4) Praised them ubunently.i know the hardware and iOS front and backwards. I've also been jail breaking my iPhone since the beginning. But now I'm starting to see apple is more for ease of use than tech geeks or feature rich junkies. I've been doing crazy amounts of research on the s3 and android OS. I'm scared to make the jump but not impressed with apples current direction in making phones so easy and bland the elderly can master it. Should I make the switch to the s3? Thanks to all here for their input to this scared apple fan boy.09-01-2012 11:52 AM
- Big time Apple fanboy here as well and I love my S3. Much happier with this phone than I was with my iPhone.
The size is something I'm still getting used too but I'm definitely adjusting. I've had every single iPhone through the 4S and was just getting bored with what iOS was offering.
There's nothing I've heard about the 5 that is making me think of switching back. I actually convinced two people in my office to go with the S3 over an iPhone. That's how much I like this phone!
My only complaint with Android phones is that I wish they would keep the bloatware off the phones or let you remove it. I know each manufacturer likes to put their "layer" over the OS but it'd also be nice if I could very easily choose to use that "layer" or go stock Android OS. But, those are just wish list things.
The phone is still awesome and I freak people out when I see 'em cause they all expect me to have an iPhone...haha09-01-2012 06:08 PM
- Apple's closed source iron fist about what people can do on the devices will be part of their undoing. The DoD is already working on Android phones to replace the Blackberries they currently have. With Android being open and they can do what they want with the kernel to make them secure they are going that direction. Cant wait for the day when there are 1000s of Android phones running around the military leadership. That in itself could also cause those same people to switch their personal devices to Android once they see how great it is compared to IOS.09-01-2012 07:04 PM
- 09-01-2012 07:43 PM
- This is all making my descion a lot easier. That's actually what I was thinking,that I'm not sure what apple could do to impress me anymore. It sounds like the s3 will only get better with more and more updates. I really appreciate of you in this descion. I rather like it here.09-01-2012 07:54 PM
- I'm so new and unformiliar with Android. That's half of what makes this exciting. I'd love to hear what all you good folks love about this phone. I actually read something about an update called jelly bean(again I have no idea what that is haha),but are the updates rather big? Feature wise?09-01-2012 07:57 PM
- I came from a 4S, but this is most certainly not my first Android phone. I've had a Droid X, a Droid 3, a Droid Incredible 2, a Droid Razr, and a Nexus before this. But enough about my phone history...
At this point, I feel like going to an iPhone from an S3 would be sending me 5 years back in time in terms of pure functionality. IOS hasn't changed. Ever. Don't get me wrong, I love iOS. My 4S was one of my favorite phones of all time. But the OS is sorely lacking in options. Android gives you so much control that you can make it your phone. Not Apple's. That's the number one thing. I can't name anything that iOS can do that Android can't. The only thing iOS has over Android is pure fluidity. Other than that, it's lagging behind.
And Jelly Bean is the new OS for Android. The only two things it provides are smoothness and Google Now. Which are actually both huge things. And are going to be some things that really send Android into the future.09-01-2012 08:50 PM
- I have read the stats on the screen difference between the iPhone and s3,but have never actually seen a working s3 in person to see it for myself. Primarily because in all display models they are just that...display models. Non working. Is the resolution and lush color as good as I've on reviews? Also the S voice. I've heard some horrible things about it and good things. Is it work progress or is it ready to go stuff? I'd only use it for driving purposes. Again thank you alll soo much for taking time to answer these mundane questions from an ignorant iPhone user. I have read almost every thread on this community about this phone and many many reviews.09-01-2012 09:12 PM
- I'm on an Apple Forum for my Ipad. I just hate how boring the Apple OS is. Really restrictive in what you can do. The thing I like about this forum and Android people in general, is they help you when you post something on the forum. There's times I've posted on my Ipad forum and usually only one guy has helped me, multiple times. I've had other people help, but not as many as on this forum. Once on the Ipad forum I was talking about how much I hate that it's not as easy to work with devices that aren't Apple, boy did I get a lot of attitude! I've never really spoke terrribly bad on their forum, but still they don't take any criticism well. I say, move on to better things with Android. Much more free to do what you want with this OS and the people are much more helpful.09-02-2012 12:42 AM
- Same boat here. Been using an iPhone since 2007. I'm so done with apple and iPhone. 2 weeks ago I saw a girl at school whip out her s3 and I was instantly head over heels in love with it. Called Verizon and got them to allow me to upgrade in October rather than November when I was due to upgrade. Counting the days now. This month can't go fast enough. Can't wait to get my s3!09-02-2012 07:27 AM
- The size and weight of the iphones are way outdated. Our GS3s have much larger screens but arent that much bigger overall and still way much less then the iphones plus we have 4G LTE, iphones work on 3G+. Besides paying a premium for an apple product that doesnt even have gorilla glass seems like a waste to me. But I think the next iphone will be larger, at least 4" screen so I would wait and see also.09-02-2012 12:54 PM
- I definitely think you should make the switch & am positive you won't regret it.
That said though, one of the things I immediately noticed Android was sadly lacking after I came from iOS was GLOBAL Badge Notifications.
Yes, alot of Android Apps support SMS / GMail / Missed Calls but frankly, that's not nearly good enough IMO.
It might seem like a minor thing to Android Users that aren't familiar with them, but personally after having them I can't go back to not, so was really surprised & disappointed that it wasn't stock in the Android OS.
However, recently I've found a way - here's how you can get GLOBAL Badge Notifications working on Android--> [HOW-TO] Guide to Global Badge Notifications09-02-2012 03:58 PM
- Samsung Android Phones
- Samsung Galaxy S3
- Verizon Galaxy S III
Long time apple fan boy looking to jump ship
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD