Apple now going after Galaxy S3

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
While I agree with Piizza, I'd have to say that if more manufacturers took up the pure Android mantle then the battle would already be over. Google themselves have taken the pains to make sure that vanilla Android doesn't step on anyone's toes. Vanilla Android is far from a "me too" product. Heck, look at where iOS is pulling features from..

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
While I agree with Piizza, I'd have to say that if more manufacturers took up the pure Android mantle then the battle would already be over. Google themselves have taken the pains to make sure that vanilla Android doesn't step on anyone's toes. Vanilla Android is far from a "me too" product. Heck, look at where iOS is pulling features from..

This. All this. Google has been very quick to excise infringing features or replace them with better ones, but manufacturer skins are the reason why apple keeps being able go after Samsung.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
This is sad, even my family members who know nothing about Apple vs. Samsung patents, etc think this is crazy and they just know what they see on the evening news, newspapers, etc. This is just going to hurt Apple in the long run because it will stop them from innovating, they have already proven that they would rather sue than innovate and when they really drop the ball and don't include some big feature in their phones, everyone will jump ship, even the iSheep. I'm just waiting for the iPhone 5 to have 4G LTE and for Samsung to have a field day suing Apple over their LTE patents.
Let Apple burn in the fiery hell they deserve!

wispeedy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
This is all Apple nonsense, Companys build Televisions, Computers, Cameras and you don't see them going after anyone for building them you have choices if you want a Samsung TV you buy one if you want a Sony then you purchase a Sony TV and all of these devices have similarities, So what's the problem. Apple is Company that was dying, I remember when they took all the Apple Computers out New York City School and replace them with Windows Computers and there was no dispute about this. So you should be able to buy a Galaxy S 3 is that's what you want, Apple phones are all ugly they don't even look like a Samsung Galaxy phone. Remember all Televisions have a screen, a remote, on and off button, video inputs and out puts, so there is no differnces in all the model why didn't they suing one another?

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
This is all Apple nonsense, Companys build Televisions, Computers, Cameras and you don't see them going after anyone for building them you have choices if you want a Samsung TV you buy one if you want a Sony then you purchase a Sony TV and all of these devices have similarities, So what's the problem. Apple is Company that was dying, I remember when they took all the Apple Computers out New York City School and replace them with Windows Computers and there was no dispute about this. So you should be able to buy a Galaxy S 3 is that's what you want, Apple phones are all ugly they don't even look like a Samsung Galaxy phone. Remember all Televisions have a screen, a remote, on and off button, video inputs and out puts, so there is no differnces in all the model why didn't they suing one another?

When Apple puts out a TV they'll sue everyone else.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
It needs to end. Really is getting out of hand. Courts shouldn't allow more suits. Needs to stoo

sent from my Rezound

_iL33t_

May 23, 2011
Visit site
from what i've gathered over the past 6 months +/- is >> Samsung supplies crApple parts that crApple needs to sell their product. then samsung makes their own devices which blow away anything crApple has released. crApple gets angry/ENVIOUS and trying to show their might and trying to continue the "legacy" of Steve Jobs talking BS about going thermonuclear blah blah blah, they attack their main competition. So while they have to pay Samsung for parts, Samsung is, to simply put it, BEATING THEM AT THEIR OWN GAME (iPhone, iPad), THEY (crApple) ARE SORE LOSERS AND BEING CRY BABIES ABOUT IT!!!

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
If said TV violates their patents, then yes they will.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Since Apple doesnt make TV's....and folks like Samsung have been very innovative on the TV side for many, many years...I would really like to see what Apple comes up with that a company ....might....infringe upon.

If anything...Apple will get sued asap when they start making TV's....if that's the case. But wait.....since TV manufactures dont really sue one another over TV's....will Apple be ok? Or will it be a lil taste of their own medicine...

I'm surprised Apple isnt getting sued or suing anyone over Apple TV. Especially Roku. They have a device that looks alot like Apple TV.

Last edited:

sparesr4sissies

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Since Apple doesnt make TV's....and folks like Samsung have been very innovative on the TV side for many, many years...I would really like to see what Apple comes up with that a company ....might....infringe upon.

Other companies were making phones and smartphones well before Apple started, and that didn't stop them from suing Samsung for stuff that was already around.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
While I agree with everyone in here, and I think that Apple is way out of line on most of their litigations recently this is not going to end.

This may seem like poor business practices yes but when it comes down to the end of the Tim Cook is a much different person than Steve Jobs. Jobs was more concerned with his actual product being better than everything else and then it would sell itself. Yes he had the side of him that would go after someone else and if you are a CEO of a company as big as Apple you have too. Tim Cook is a straight CEO. Concerned with one thing and one thing only, his bottom line.

In today's world it is a lot easier for someone to sue than it is to innovate a new product. Say what you want about Apple but this isn't just Apple, it is the way of the industry and sadly the way our system is moving.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Here's the source...
Apple adds Samsung's Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note and Galaxy Note 10.1 to ongoing patent lawsuit -- Engadget

The article says that they, the rotten fruit, are specifically including the Verizon S3 along with other devices to the lawsuit. So what does this mean for us? "Ah... you can't have that S3 anymore it's copyright infringement! We must confiscate it!" I mean seriously, this is the first time in a great while that I've truly been happy with all aspects of my smartphone. By that I mean aesthetics, performance (not a load of FC's, snappy, etc...), reception, data, the total package!
This wasn't a case of copyright infringement. Samsung was found (rightfully so) guilty of willfully copying patented features and designs from the iPhone.

Regarding the latest challenge, I am personally not concerned about it.

Regarding Samsung... I'm willing to bet that when all is said and done, there will be "top brass" heads rolling. How stupid were they for communicating via email their plans for copying the older iPhones?

As for Apple, I disagree with their continued attempts to litigate ridiculous things rather than working towards innovating and creating a better iPhone. That poor thing is old and outdated.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
While I agree with everyone in here, and I think that Apple is way out of line on most of their litigations recently this is not going to end.

This may seem like poor business practices yes but when it comes down to the end of the Tim Cook is a much different person than Steve Jobs. Jobs was more concerned with his actual product being better than everything else and then it would sell itself. Yes he had the side of him that would go after someone else and if you are a CEO of a company as big as Apple you have too. Tim Cook is a straight CEO. Concerned with one thing and one thing only, his bottom line.

In today's world it is a lot easier for someone to sue than it is to innovate a new product. Say what you want about Apple but this isn't just Apple, it is the way of the industry and sadly the way our system is moving.

I think you have pretty much hit the nail on the head with the above. Jobs was involved with most aspects of the designing of their products. I get the feeling that Cook isn't that involved. He's probably too "busy" with his CEO duties or some other ridiculous excuse.

I do think that these lawsuits are a sign of the beginning of Apple's down hill spiral. There have not been any significant innovative changes to the iPhone, or iOS. That might change with the release of the new iPhone this year, but for some reason, I doubt it.

Cook simply doesn't seem to be as anal regarding build quality, innovative devices as Jobs was. It seems he is taking the company in the same direction the corporate types took Apple the first time Jobs was fired.

ring o fire

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
I honestly don't think anyone has to worry about there S3. Apple is just asking for as much as it can, this is standard, so that it will really get what it wants. Companies always ask for more with the hope that they will get some.

I don't agree with it but Apple played the game and took a chance and won. But who knows how it will turn out.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I really don't get why a company analyzing a competitor's product and saying we need something like that is so damning. Look at other industries. When the Mustang came out, both GM & Mopar rushed to get something similar out to compete for customers, and Ford would've had a better case with them than Apple had with Samsung. All of the "pony cars" were a long hood short trunk design, all handled & performed relatively similar, and all were going after the same demographic. Next look at the soft drink industry recently. I don't know who came out with it first, but there could easily be a similar case with the Coke Zero/Pepsi Max products. That's just two industries, there's HDTV, home & kitchen appliances, etc., etc.

The only difference between those industries and the mobile sphere is Apple. Any other industry if your competition comes out with something similar or better, you knuckle down and come up with a way to beat them. But in the mobile industry why devote millions to r&d when you can use it for litigation. If the competition has no products to offer, yours will sell no matter how innovative it is or isn't. I'm not saying that Samsung didn't take it too far with the Galaxy S, but the others listed in the trial were ridiculous. And now the Nexus, Note, & S3? Give me a break. You'd have to be a total moron to confuse them with an iphone.

As far as the patents listed, they are overly broad. There's a difference with how certain functions can happen on a touchscreen, and how they can happen on a smartphone with a physical keyboard. I heard someone commenting on this that even though an S3 can swipe in any direction to unlock (as opposed to Apple's slide to the side) it still violates Apple's patent because your swiping to unlock the phone, regardless of direction. In that case, they are patenting an action, which cannot be patented. Some of these patents need to be made a standard, just like with what happened with Samsung's & Motorola's patents that are now FRAND. Otherwise the mobile industry is either going to end up being a total mess, or we'll be left with a monopoly/duopoly. Apple took this to federal court to get their pound of flesh, that to me would mean that the government agencies that are tasked with overseeing this industry has the right to regulate it. I don't care if iOS or android is ahead, but I do care about having choices when I go to put out hundreds of dollars for a device. Apple is apparently against this otherwise they would go Microsoft's route and get a licensing fee. But because their first action is to try to ban anything that may infringe, that tells me they want as little competition so they can "innovate" at their own pace.

And finally as far as licensing for patents, I believe there should be a set of standards in place, networking gets amount A, core OS gets B, GUI gets C, and so on. This mentality of your network patent is only worth $1, but our UI patents are worth $30 is ridiculous. Those UI patents will look really nice, but if it can't make calls or transmit data, then it's nothing more than a media/game player.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rev2010 and jroc

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
While Apple needs to stop going sue crazy or have someone stop it.But If you stop and think about it's really the consumer who is paying the price.
Either company is gong to make up their losses somehow,for example by more expensive phones.
So that suks for us.
On the other hand fuk off Apple go invent something up to date.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
The current system is equally at blame as the corporations are. It is far to easy in our current system to sue someone, even if it is for someone so outlandish and wrong that it should have been thrown out at the first site. Unfortunately that is not the case and not the world that we live in. This doesn't take all the blame off of Apple or Samsung or any company that is sue happy but it opens the door for this kind of behavior.

Not only do the courts have to set and example so this type of behavior will be stopped but someone has to step up in the government and say the same thing about our court system. The system is suppose to help protect the people and provide a fair and just system to bring out the truth and punish the wrong. However, in our current system everything is skewed by politics, lobbyists and money. There is no getting around it. We can say till we are blue in the face that our court system is fair and just but until we have a fully independent court system where there is 100% no bias from outside sources then we are kidding ourselves.

Reactions: jroc

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Apple won, validating certain claims. It makes sense for Apple to go after more products from Samsung that they feel are infringing on certain patents validated by the prior case.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums