Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Predictive Text what I am doing wrong

I just converted from an Iphone 4 to a S3. When I text I am having problems with the corrective text and often mis-spelling words like people as ppeople and other similar issues often times is just mis spells words. I changed the auto correct from the first 2 letters to 5 and that seemed to work better but its still has problems.

Are any of you having problems typing and what did you do? I installed Go SMS but the problem still persists.

Global Posts
    516 Global Posts

Default Re: Predictive Text what I am doing wrong

I personally am not have that much of an issue. I still use the stock texting app with a different keyboard though. I didnt care for Samsung's predictive text.

I would switch to either SwiftKey or Swype.

Much better keyboards IMO.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by tech_fan View Post
    I just converted from an Iphone 4 to a S3. When I text I am having problems with the corrective text and often mis-spelling words like people as ppeople and other similar issues often times is just mis spells words. I changed the auto correct from the first 2 letters to 5 and that seemed to work better but its still has problems.

Are any of you having problems typing and what did you do? I installed Go SMS but the problem still persists.
    It is the Samsung predictive text. Try another keyboard like the other users suggested. I use Smart Keyboard Pro.

Agreed with all of this. Samsung stock keyboard has probably the worst predictive text I have ever seen. If you turn off predictive text and just use the spell checker its OKAY but there are much better options out there.

I have been using Swiftkey since the days before X and haven't looked back on the GS3 yet. Worth every penny.

Global Posts
    378 Global Posts

I believe SwiftKey is on sale for $0.99 this weekend in the Google play store.
    Works great for me.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Thanks for all the info. I purchased SwiftKey and all my issues went away. I love texting on this phone and sending emails once again. I was dreading it with the Samsung keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by tech_fan View Post
    Thanks for all the info. I purchased SwiftKey and all my issues went away. I love texting on this phone and sending emails once again. I was dreading it with the Samsung keyboard.
    Amen to that. Swiftkey rocks! Best money I have ever spent on an Android app...EVER.

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts

I'm new to all of this... If you install a keyboard app, does it automatically replace the stock keyboard, or is it a setting in the phone? Or do you have to open that app, type your message and send it from there? Sorry if this isn't the place to ask, i just figured I would since it's kind of on topic...

Quote Originally Posted by zr2s10 View Post
    I'm new to all of this... If you install a keyboard app, does it automatically replace the stock keyboard, or is it a setting in the phone? Or do you have to open that app, type your message and send it from there? Sorry if this isn't the place to ask, i just figured I would since it's kind of on topic...
    Once you download the app, then you have keyboard choices in your Settings (Language and input). If you decide you want to go back to the Samsung keyboard you can (but I bet you won't if you try Swiftkey). Swiftkey learns some of your tendencies from messaging, emails and Facebook. It is a great keyboard for the Galaxy S and you have several different themes to choose from.
    Thanked by:
    zr2s10 

Global Posts
    289 Global Posts

Ehh.. am I the only one not into predictive text?

I don't like a program telling me what I'm trying to type, even with my big stubby "megan fox" thumbs.

ROM
    CM10 Nightlies

I did NOT like the default Samsung keyboard.

It messes with what I am trying to type way too much. It is sooo anoying.

I am running CM10 and the default android keyboard. It works so much better! Either way, look at other keyboards like what was posted earlier.

I also have 2 other S3's (Wife and Son) stock ROM though.They both do not like the default Samsung keyboard. They want me to root/unlock/CM10 their phones as well. I will probably do that to their phones later this week.
    Geek Mom

Another vote for Swiftkey. After you install it, click on it, and it'll walk you through the setup process - couldn't be easier. After you use it for a bit, play around with the settings to see what suits your typing style the best.

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

Swiftkey is worth every penny whether it's on sale or not.

If you do y want to pay for swift key(which I love also). Go into the setting of the keyboard and change the prediction point to 5 letters... This helps out tons

Sent from my GS3....

Help you with your stock keyboard on the GS3

Help you with your stock keyboard on the GS3

Sent from my GS3....
    Geek Mom

Quote Originally Posted by the1m.polo View Post
    If you do y want to pay for swift key(which I love also). Go into the setting of the keyboard and change the prediction point to 5 letters... This helps out tons

Sent from my GS3....
    Where is that option?

I have SwiftKey 3 Tablet because I had it (paid) on my tablet first, if that makes a difference. It seems to work fine on the phone too.

Quote Originally Posted by OWybPPgO View Post
    Where is that option?

I have SwiftKey 3 Tablet because I had it (paid) on my tablet first, if that makes a difference. It seems to work fine on the phone too.
    Go on my link in my above post for the run down on how to do it

Sent from my GS3....

I have always preferred Perfect Keyboard. What makes Swiftkey so much better?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gorgalis View Post
    I have always preferred Perfect Keyboard. What makes Swiftkey so much better?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    It's predictions are just the best I've ever seen... It reads all previous text to learn what you will say next.... It's responsive.. Many options... It's not that I know all about every keyword... SwiftKey just ended my searche for another keyboard the last couple of years... Oh and their support is great... Always building to make it better

Sent from my GS3....

I have both Swiftkey and Skype but I prefer Swype because that style of typing is much faster for me. I'm so use to it that it's hard for me to type normally now. I don't like the predictive because you have to constantly what for the right word to come up. I prefer just typing everything I want to say very fast, and I can do that with Swype.

But my wife loves Swiftkey, it drives her nuts to type on any other keyboard... like if she uses my phone.
    Geek Mom

Quote Originally Posted by the1m.polo View Post
    Go on my link in my above post for the run down on how to do it

Sent from my GS3....
    Sorry, misread your post. I thought it was a Swiftkey option.

ROM
    Stock

Yeah the stock keyboard is terrible for predicting text, it drives me nuts. But swype or swiftkey is much, much better. I do personally prefer swype because that's what I've been using for years.

Global Posts
    960 Global Posts

I was waiting to see if the standard keyboard with JellyBean would be any better than the stock ICS version, but couldn't take it any longer and installed SwiftKey 3 last night. Although roughly one day is not much to base my perception on so far, I've made zero txt mistakes today. Not that its a big deal as it just with family, but sometimes the misses and autocorrections from the standard keyboard were so off it required wasted time and effort to go back and correct, or resend txts to clean up the garbled meaning. As others have said, this is a good investment and helps to eliminate one more of those little daily annoyances.

I have swype and swiftkey on my g3. Had swype for years and love it, but because of all the hype here I bought swiftkey over the weekend to try. So far i like it but I'm not as fast as I am on swype. We will see after a fair trial period which I like better. I figured for 99 cents I couldnt go wrong.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast