Phantom cracks

truthfamilyfaith

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
As stated in a previous post I am switching from apple products(been an iPhone user since the release of the 3G) to the GS3. I have been doing extensive research on the products hardware and its operating system because it's a big switch to make. In my research I have come across claims form s3 owners that to me brings the devices structural intergeity into question. Many claims of phantom cracks on the screen,port holes and sides have come up after only two weeks of use with no drops with a case.Also the flimsy back causes the device to over heat easily. Are these one in a million claims or do any of you have these problems? I want this device to last me more than a few months. I don't yet own the gs3 but will in a month.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I don't have any problems whatsoever but have gotten a number of micro-scratches. They are extremely hairline and they don't affect the use of the device or screen viewing in any way, at least on mine they don't affect it at all. They are even hard to see with the screen off. I've never had any of the other issues you've mentioned, no overheating or anything like that. I also have no issue with the back cover and can't see why it would bother anyone. It stays on tight, mine doesn't squeak or anything, and the device feels nice and firm. I've had my S3 (AT&T) since the end of June.

Rev.

truthfamilyfaith

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Are these scratches on your screen Rev? Also do you have a screen protector on? The thing about the back case owners are saying is it over heats while charging because of the flimsy back. I have read accounts of owners claiming this and tec reviews saying the same. Othough hairline cracks may not effect the performance of the device I still dont want a phone that has that short of a shelf life.if the claims are true.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Yes, they are micro-scratches on the screen but it was basically my fault as I dropped the phone face down once. I don't use a screen protector and they aren't cracks.

Again, I've never once heard of this overheating and I'm typically in the main S3 forum here and the AT&T one. I've never had my device come anywhere near overheating and I can't see how the back cover would have anything to do with it - a thin light plastic would dissipate heat fine. I've watched HD movies on mine for 4 hours straight on a flight about 9 days ago with no issues and I also use my phone often for web browsing and a number of other things. It can get a little warm, but never hot and it's never over heated.

Rev.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I dont have any cracks on my S3 screen.I have had it since July 5th(preordered).I have always had a screen protector on it.The screen protectors arrived before the phone did.I never had my phone overheat.I have had it feel kinda warm at times when on it a long time . I use Bomb Battery Widget from the playstore to monitor my battery temperture,as well as other stuff.It never has gotten Hot.
I think when it gets 120 deg.is when its getting to hot. The hottest mine has got has been 104 deg.
Basically my S3 still is like brand new,never has been dropped. I havent had it in a case just a Cruzerlite Gel type case to prevent getting the back scratched up :) Also I have no issues with the back cover.So far I am happy with my purchase.

Last edited:

muiriddin

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I have a seidio active case over mine and a screen protector, However I did run without the case and screen protector for a couple of days before everything was delivered. Doing a lot of 4g the phone does got warm, but not hot. I have not noticed a "phantom" cracking issue at all.

ngc457

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I have heard of cracks in the screen. This can happen with any phone and it is rare. The screen is easy to scratch. I have a very small scratch on my screen and I treat my phone well.I have since put a screen protector on it and don't expect any more issues.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

truthfamilyfaith

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Sweetness. These answers quelch my worries considerably.Thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions. I'm sure I'll be posting more questions and concerns leading up to the purchase of my gs3 in October.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I have heard of people having cracks in their screen - I seriously doubt the cracks were a manufacturing defect. I think if it was a defect, you'd have more than handful of people b i t c h ing about it.

BTW, zero issues with my S3.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
No scratches, overheating or cracks anywhere on the case.
Have had the ohine pretty much from launch.
So far so good! :)

brandonx1000

rule the air.
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
both my wife and i have had ours since launch, both white...mine is in an otterbox, hers in a cruzerlite case, no issues with either

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Hahaha, "phantom cracks." Sounds like Apple jargon, IE: Retina Display, Slide To Unlock.

Quit trippin'. This phone is too cool (possibly for you HA!)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

GtoJon

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
2 months with mine & no cracks or scratches. If that were true I would have cracks as I take my VZ holster/case combo off every 2 days to replace the battery. I do use a screen protector. I charge my batteries separately :) The construction on this phone is top-notch!!

Cheers, Jon

sparesr4sissies

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Why does everyone use screen protectors if the S3 is build with Gorilla Glass and is said to be "indestructable"?

I don't use them and haven't ever used them. I used my Fascinate for 2 years without one and never had a scratch. I kept it in my pocket and did lawn care throughout the spring, summer, and fall without a problem.
I've had my S3 for a couple months now and haven't had any problems with the screen.

Reactions: Majordeluxe

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Why does everyone use screen protectors if the S3 is build with Gorilla Glass and is said to be "indestructable"?

Gorilla Glass 2 was never called "indestructible", that would be a ridiculous and absurd claim. It's supposed to be stronger, thinner, and more scratch resistant than Gorilla Glass 1 but I and many others have found that it simply is not as scratch resistant as GG1, at least not on the S3. I have a Droid 2 that I used for 2 months shy of two years and there isn't even a micro-scratch on it and I never used a protector of any kind. My S3 however does have 5 micro-scratches that I got over two separate instances in only two months. It's fine though, and they are hard to see even with the screen off, but the fact is they are there when my D2 screen is still factory new pristine.

Rev.

radar320

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
No scratches, no screen burn, no port holes, no over heating issues at all. Only issue is the weak radio and hand off between 3g and 4g, otherwise super phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21