Still worth getting?

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Another thought is that if the next Nexus is again made by Samsung, they're quite likely to hold back the best hardware for the GS4, like they did with the Nexus.

Really, the only thing that makes the Nexus competitive is Google support and updates.

turb0wned

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I would say to wait for the next Nexus but since your on Verizon just get the S3 or go GSM and get an unlocked next when it comes out.

swordphoen

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Well, I got an S3 a few weeks ago. I had a Nexus S. I can say I don't regret it so far, totally in love with the phone.

I doubt Samsung will make the next Nexus, as they should've announced it at the IFA. There are both Motorola and HTC events in the coming weeks...given the whole googlerola case, I would think they''ll be making the next Nexus...but there's also a chance it might be HTC.

However, if you are going to wait for the next Nexus then you're in for a long wait. At least 2 to 3 months if not more.

I would go for the S3 I think. It is awesome, really smooth and powerful. Plus, Jelly Bean is coming real soon.

sk8trix

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I work for a carrier and honestly man even if a new phoenw ere to come out that is better than the S3 the development community won't jump on it right away.....The s3 still is the early stages of cm10 and cm9 got really far but right now the GS3 is the best deal its such a good device rooted or unrooted....I personally dont want a nexus only because it doesnt support sd cards but im sure it will be really nice.

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Wait.

And in the meantime, go spend chump change (in comparison) and get an HTC Rezound off CL or somewhere.

Then you will have The ONLY phone that does 4G LTE, is World-capable, and will let you talk on the phone and surf the Web at the same time WHILE ON A 3G connection (notice, I said 3G - all the 4G phones can do simultaneous voice and data on a 4G connection). GS3 can't do that. Nexus can't do that.

And with the latest Global OTA that's out there (along with easy rooting and S-Off), the battery life on the Rezound kicks serious booty. Before the Global OTA, I used to get to bedtime without around 30% battery remaining on most days. Now, I often get to bedtime with more like 60% battery remaining.

mike31082

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
My previous phone was the EVO 4G. I take it your decission to go to Verizon is because your not happy with Sprint's service?

I would suggest going with AT&T and get the HTC One X. I upgraded to the EVO LTE (pretty much the same phone) and I'm very happy with the hardware. The lack of LTE coverage though, I could understand why you'd want to switch.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Android Central Forums

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Good question... But when you really think about it it's almost silly.... Nooooo disrespect intended...... Look the next nexus "maaaay be" months away but buy then CTIA or whatever big show that is in Jan will be around the corner... Then there will be 10 more post saying should I get the Nexus or wait and see what's at CTIA(or whatever).. Look we will never keep up ya know... Trust me I've tried... So I got this phone knowing its future proof for a while.. The manufacturer does their updates and this will be Samsungs best smart phone for a minimum of a year.... So if you wanted the GS3..... Grab it... It's unlockable... It's getting JB and probably the next Update.. What else are u looking for? .... That's again... "My opinion" get what u had your mind set on..

Sent from my GS3....

jpullins

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't matter you are screwed either way no matter if it's a galaxy s3 or a nexus unless you root if you want the latest software. Verizon don't care about or support their phones unless it's a droid branded phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

LakerStar25

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Wait.

And in the meantime, go spend chump change (in comparison) and get an HTC Rezound off CL or somewhere.

Then you will have The ONLY phone that does 4G LTE, is World-capable, and will let you talk on the phone and surf the Web at the same time WHILE ON A 3G connection (notice, I said 3G - all the 4G phones can do simultaneous voice and data on a 4G connection). GS3 can't do that. Nexus can't do that.

And with the latest Global OTA that's out there (along with easy rooting and S-Off), the battery life on the Rezound kicks serious booty. Before the Global OTA, I used to get to bedtime without around 30% battery remaining on most days. Now, I often get to bedtime with more like 60% battery remaining.

That's weird because I can be one the phone and use the web on 3G on my S3 and I'm on Verizon. I think it's the snapdragon processor that does it because it's done just like how the thunderbolt and Rezound are where the I believe the soc or whatever it's called is part of the processor instead of being separated and in different locations on the phone.

kdo23

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
That's weird because I can be one the phone and use the web on 3G on my S3 and I'm on Verizon. I think it's the snapdragon processor that does it because it's done just like how the thunderbolt and Rezound are where the I believe the soc or whatever it's called is part of the processor instead of being separated and in different locations on the phone.

Yes, but its not world capable as far as I know. The s3 does have svdo which is a part of the snapdragon architecture which allows it to do simultaneous voice and data over 3g. Same goes for the rezound droid incredible 4g and thunderbolt. Though that said the next HTC phone would seem likely to be similar in capabilities, hopefully with the world capability activated at launch.

Edit: dinc 4g and thunderbolt have svdo but not world capabilities to be clear.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I just had to chuckle at the title of this thread, "still worth getting?" in reference to a phone released just about 7 weeks ago on the carrier. The life cycle of smartphones is moving at such a rapid pace this is only going to get worse for those wanting to always have the latest tech.

impulse101

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
It's a good phone but it's no Gnex. Crappy Touchwiz makes the phone run laggy compared to pure JB on Gnex and the hardware buttons are disgusting. Plus the Gnex screen looks better with its better dpi.

And rezound?? lol anyone recommending the rezound is just someone who bought it instead of a better phone and is trying to justify their purchase

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I would say its still worth getting .Also now that the bootloader is unlocked.I have both the S3 and the nexus.I would be surprised if vzw even gets another nexus,but ya never know .I dont have TW even running on my S3 as far as the hardware buttons it all depends on your preference. The S3 has a removeable sdcard but the nexus can have a removeable drive it you purchase an usb stick,buy an attachment cord and install a app called stickmount.(you have to be rooted to use stickmount I believe tho)

The softkeys on the nexus take up some of the screen which some dont like .
The physical home button on the S3 which some think is ugly and dont like ,lol .I can deal with either and understand which either side of that argument is coming from its just not a deal breaker for me either way

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks to everyone, I think I'll go ahead and get one. Reasons -

1. I need to be on CDMA. VZW has better network than my current carrier Sprint. I will lose unlimited data but I don't use that much.
  2. Verizon might not get the Nexus, if they do it might be delayed, and in any case updates will be delayed. So I'm screwed any way :)
  3. The GS3 is a good enough phone that it will last a while and have dev support.

So my only question now is, is the 32GB worth it? I already have a 64Gb card ready for use. Would I make up the $50 in resale later?

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks to everyone, I think I'll go ahead and get one. Reasons -

1. I need to be on CDMA. VZW has better network than my current carrier Sprint. I will lose unlimited data but I don't use that much.
  2. Verizon might not get the Nexus, if they do it might be delayed, and in any case updates will be delayed. So I'm screwed any way :)
  3. The GS3 is a good enough phone that it will last a while and have dev support.

So my only question now is, is the 32GB worth it? I already have a 64Gb card ready for use. Would I make up the $50 in resale later?

I haven't read the thread but even though I have the 16 GB I would say get the 32 if you plan on having a ton of games that are graphic intensive. It is my understanding that the sd card can really only be used for pictures and videos unless you root your phone. That being said I have probably close to 100 apps and still have 10 GB left of my 16 GB phone storage. My apps are taking up 1.29 GB. Good luck and good decision. I tried to give Sprint a chance but just left after a year and am back on Verizon!

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

I think its worth getting the 32gb.I think it will have greater resale if/when you ever decide to sell it.I have the 32gb model and a 32gb card.I dont put my apps on sdcard .I just use my sdcard for pictures,music,etc

market58

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
I am new to Android but I am not new to smartphones. I have to say this is one of the best mobile experiences I have had with a phone. Its lightning fast, has good battery life and now I can do all the things I could never do with my Blackberry....(sorry Kevin). I would not hesitate recommending this phone to anyone. As far as playing around and rooting the phone , I dar not because this is my main source of work/children communication and I would probably brick it.:)

curley

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Wait for the Nexus, move to T-mobile to get the GSM version, lock in unlimited EVERYTHING with t-mo and wait for the 2013 LTE launch and clean up. I mean, how fast will T-Mo be? HSPA+ when out of LTE and second Gen LTE data with unlimited and the Nexus that get updates right from Google.

To me, that is a Win, Win.

OH YEAH, there is a hack out there to get your apps to the extsd card. And if you are posting on this website and talking about unlocked bootloaders, you most likely will be rooted. And Jelly bean will be on the GS3 soon, I think....

a.d.am

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
If your phone is fine wait for the 64gb black or gray version OR the next nexus. Those are WAYYYY cooler than the blue and white ones. Has anyone thought that google will just shrink the nexus 7 and make it a nexus phone?? Hmmmmm........:eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol