Still worth getting?

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
After waiting months for the GS3, waiting for Verizon to get it, following the whole shared data plans change, and then the locked bootloader disappointment, I ended up waiting. I even bought a 64GB sd card and accessories for my new GS3 :(

Now that the bootloader is unlocked, is it worth buying the Verizon GS3 today, or is it better to wait for the next Nexus out in 2 months (I hope) ?

dobermans rule

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
If I were you, I would wait for the next nexus to come out, and then maybe the S3 will go down in price, and you could get a better deal.

Sent from my ADR6350 (Droid Incredible 2) using Android Central Forums

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
2 months in Verizon time is more like 6 months in reality.

Well, last time Verizon were the first carrier to get the Nexus, even though they messed up the launch and made people wait forever.

I'm hoping the rumors are true and multiple carriers get the Nexus at the same time.

Tomen8r

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I waited two years to upgrade my Droid X..which I loved. I made right choice in waiting and picking up S3. Get the S3! I have vzw too.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Well, last time Verizon were the first carrier to get the Nexus, even though they messed up the launch and made people wait forever.

I'm hoping the rumors are true and multiple carriers get the Nexus at the same time.

Again, given Verizon's track record, I wouldn't count on it. Just my two cents though.

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
No guarantee that Verizon will even get the next Nexus. In fact, if I had to bet, I'd say they won't. Clearly they do not want anyone modifying their phones (hence the locked boot loader on the S3 while no other carrier in the world did that), plus the pathetic speed at which they released updates for the Galaxy Nexus (still no JB and the 6 month wait for 4.04)... My guess is that Verizon has no further interest in "Nexus" devices.

And if memory serves, they abandoned their plan to carry a CDMA version of the Nexus One and instead released the Droid Incredible which had a locked (though not encrypted) bootloader and required some serious community work to achieve s-off.

No, I think Verizon wants nothing to do with "developer" devices.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

liteon163

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
My answer is completely dependent upon what phone you have right now, and what condition it's in.

Sent from my Blue 32 Verizon SGSIII using Tapatalk 2

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
My answer is completely dependent upon what phone you have right now, and what condition it's in.

Sent from my Blue 32 Verizon SGSIII using Tapatalk 2

I have an Evo 4G, it's in perfect condition. I still run MIUI GB since its the most stable, fastest rom I've tried, and ICS/JB for the Evo aren't fully functional. My phone is fine for daily use, but of course its not as fast anymore.

I've been waiting for the right phone to upgrade to since my contract has run out, and Verizon of course will give me better speeds and coverage.

edit - I get poor GSM signal where I live, otherwise I'd probably switch to a $350 Nexus + prepaid and save a ton of money. So realistically, Sprint/VZW are the only options.

Last edited:

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
First I want to say that the Nexus will be on Verizon. They will not pass it up

On to the OP, You have waited this long, I would see what happens this month with all the announcements on the horizon. If you do not want to wait, they you cannot do any worse than they SGSIII

drewC

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
wow...You sound like me. I got the microSD card before I actually bought my phone.
If you have to stick with CDMA carriers then why wait to switch to VZW (assuming Sprint 4G LTE isn't available yet in your area). With VZW, you'll just never know how much longer you'll have to wait before the launch of the next premium device.

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
If you're always waiting for the next best device that's around the corner, you'll never buy anything. If you want something new now, get the S3, and enjoy using it instead of worrying about what's next.

If you keep it in good shape, then you always have the option to sell it if you have to have something before your next upgrade date.

Also, that 64GB card is most likely a waste with a Nexus.

dplane

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Wait.

Scenario 1:
* GS3 drops in price, new GNex out and rocks your socks off.
Dilemma: save money over getting the GS3 or pay more for the GNex (though it may actually have a lower introductory price)

Scenario 2:
* GS3 drops in price, new GNex out and it sucks
No dilemma: Get the GS3, save money, profit

Scenario 3:
* HTC and/or Moto introduce new superphone over the next 2 weeks, you buy GS3 now.
Problem; you have GS3 but HTC or Moto phone won't be available for purchase til just outside the 30 day return mark. You curse the world and everything in it.

Scenario 4:

.... you get my point.

Yes waiting in tech world is kind of a silly concept but you're also coming up to the time of year when great deals are likely to come around and the next GNex and/or HTC/Moto/Sony/whatever (sorry LG) come out with the next superphone, or heck you might want the GNote2.

cj100570

Spoken Word?
Nov 12, 2009
Visit site

How did they mess up the launch? They never announced a launch date! Websites kept posting speculation about when it would launch. When Verizon announced a date, it came out on that date!

WarER4X

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
I got my S3 a little over a week ago (previously running a DROID 3). This is only the best phone I've ever used. Even with the TouchWiz, not rooting, or unlocking the bootloader, I love this phone. That's saying something since I always root my phones just about out of the box. My only complaint is that the stock launcher doesn't support scrolling wallpaper.

With the smokin' fast processor (and GPU) and 2 GB of RAM, this thing never slows down, regardless of how many background processes I have running. That took care of the main reason I didn't like my D3 anymore (I never thought 512 MB of RAM on a phone wouldn't be enough).

-SR-

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
In a world where people are still actively purchasing the RAZR MAXX, I'd say there's no shame in getting this now.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
wow...You sound like me. I got the microSD card before I actually bought my phone.
If you have to stick with CDMA carriers then why wait to switch to VZW (assuming Sprint 4G LTE isn't available yet in your area). With VZW, you'll just never know how much longer you'll have to wait before the launch of the next premium device.

This is a good point. Sprint won't have decent coverage till at least end of 2013. I never got the Wimax i was promised either!

Wait.

Scenario 1:
* GS3 drops in price, new GNex out and rocks your socks off.
Dilemma: save money over getting the GS3 or pay more for the GNex (though it may actually have a lower introductory price)

Scenario 2:
* GS3 drops in price, new GNex out and it sucks
No dilemma: Get the GS3, save money, profit

Scenario 3:
* HTC and/or Moto introduce new superphone over the next 2 weeks, you buy GS3 now.
Problem; you have GS3 but HTC or Moto phone won't be available for purchase til just outside the 30 day return mark. You curse the world and everything in it.

Scenario 4:

.... you get my point.

Yes waiting in tech world is kind of a silly concept but you're also coming up to the time of year when great deals are likely to come around and the next GNex and/or HTC/Moto/Sony/whatever (sorry LG) come out with the next superphone, or heck you might want the GNote2.

Yes, I get the point about waiting for the next big thing being a never ending thing.

But like you say waiting for the next best thing in a month or two is different :) Having waited this long, I don't mind a few weeks more if there are going to be some announcements. Is there some site that has rumored dates?

As far as specs go, I'm more concerned that development for the GS3 might fall behind compared to the Nexus. I think its unlikely the next phone will really be that much of a jump over the GS3.

But I don't want to wait till the end of 2012. Then the same cycle starts again with rumors of the GS4 etc in the summer :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21