Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree71Likes
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Default Re: [Verizon] "OFFICIAL" JellyBean Speculation

We will see jb before the end of the year

Sent from my thumbs with no brain censorship
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by radar320 View Post
    The S3 may be Samsung's flagship device at the moment, but it is not in anyway the flagship device for Verizon. IMO Verizon has shown they care less about the S3 because it is not their "Droid" brand. Everything right now is Razr this and Razr that. That device is their flagship device.
    Lets be honest here...VZW likes Moto because the encrypt their bootloaders in a way that cannot be cracked...

Quote Originally Posted by BringTheRain403 View Post
    Lets be honest here...VZW likes Moto because the encrypt their bootloaders in a way that cannot be cracked...
    Motorola has been taking small steps to make their devices more open. There are now three moto phones that can have their bootloaders unlocked thanks to a unlocking program released by motorola. Unfortunately they have to be developer devices which cannot be bought from carriers for a contract price. But needless to say the Android community is huge and I'm sure the devs will figure something out. This is a huge step for motorola as they make great phones I don't know why they would do such a thing and lock their bootloaders, I think its actually hurting their sales.
    Source

True. However, the carrier has final say on this subject and VZW wants the phone locked down so I doubt they will ever opt to allow Moto to add a phone like the DROID Razr HD to their list of phones that can be unlocked on their website. Developer phones would be nice but as of right now there are very few options available in that arena.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    382 Global Posts
    ROM
    JellyWiz RLS13

My guess is Easter 2013, and it will be the only update the Verizon S3 receives. I think you'll see Jelly Bean and an update to TouchWiz in the update, along with the new Isis payment bloat. There's a reason Verizon has blocked Google Wallet and it is Isis. They can't wait to get this crap on our phones. They were supposed to release in October, but now it's been delayed.

You take the ASOP Jelly Bean, hand it over to Samsung, who takes a month or two to certify it and apply TouchWiz. Then you give it back to Verizon, who takes a minimum of three months to certify updates, another month of back and forth with Samsung, soak testing and the like, and we're downloading an update in April 2013.

At that point Verizon looks at the S3 as an end of life device and no further updates are pursued.
    Banned

ROM
    Stock for once.

Just my .02...If my phone continues to perform the way it does right now, I couldn't care less if I ever saw jelly bean. I don't want to screw this phone up, so all ya'll will have to guinea that version for a long time before I update to it.
    Thanked by 2:
    chevyman29 likes this.
    Banned

ROM
    Stock for once.

Default Jelly Bean Coming Soon

It's on AC main page...I'm just wondering if I really want it. My phone works perfectly, and I have seen many an update make reception worse, or worse. My phone is bug-free, so how would one go about not getting it until the masses proof it, and subsequent bug fixes are issued? I know on my GNex Verizon just forced the update through.

Default Re: Jelly Bean Coming Soon

Quote Originally Posted by HalizDad View Post
    It's on AC main page...I'm just wondering if I really want it. My phone works perfectly, and I have seen many an update make reception worse, or worse. My phone is bug-free, so how would one go about not getting it until the masses proof it, and subsequent bug fixes are issued? I know on my GNex Verizon just forced the update through.
    Are you rooted? If so, I'd recommend waiting and seeing what the verdict is, then find a nice ROM based off the official release (that's what I plan to do, since I'm quite happy with it as it is right now). If you're not rooted, then you may not have a choice anyway....
    Banned

ROM
    Stock for once.

Guess I'll root it then...I'll leave it stock for now...Quite happy with it believe it or not. Everything works!

Wait. First of all, Jelly Bean has been released in Polland and if history is going to repeat itself the GS3 won't get JellyBean for A LONG TIME. The Galaxy Nexus only got Jelly Bean last week. You can leave your phone the way it is for now without having to worry about getting updated to Jelly Bean for a while. The Note 2 is coming out to Verizon mid November with Jelly Bean but that is no guarantee that the GS3 will get Jelly Bean before that or around that time frame.

Rooting your phone could answer your question about blocking OTA's however you have to understand by doing that it seems like a pointless reason to root your device, in my opinion. If you don't have a rooted device you are going to want to install the OTA's because if you ever have a warranty issue and you don't have the OTA (aside from hardware issues) Verizon's first comment will be to run the OTA. I have been there with them and the level 1 techs won't know much so they are going to troubleshoot the basic steps.
    Banned

ROM
    Stock for once.

I've had this phone for 8 days and I haven't rooted it and flashed a new ROM yet. This is the LONGEST I've had a phone that I haven't rooted and flashed a new ROM on by now. It works perfectly, and that's the only reason I haven't yet. I'm starting to get the itch though, just to see what's out there. My only question is, (I'm too lazy to read about it at the moment) can I go back to stock whenever I want to receive an OTA. MY GNex was rooted 15 minutes after I bought it, just to see if I could find a fix for my radios...of course, there wasn't, so I switched to the GS3.

Quote Originally Posted by creccaj1 View Post
    Wait. First of all, Jelly Bean has been released in Polland and if history is going to repeat itself the GS3 won't get JellyBean for A LONG TIME. The Galaxy Nexus only got Jelly Bean last week. You can leave your phone the way it is for now without having to worry about getting updated to Jelly Bean for a while. The Note 2 is coming out to Verizon mid November with Jelly Bean but that is no guarantee that the GS3 will get Jelly Bean before that or around that time frame.
    Wait a minute. I don't understand. If jellybean has been released in Poland, doesn't that mean that the rest of the world (or at least Europe) will see it in the next few weeks?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by sfrrr View Post
    Wait a minute. I don't understand. If jellybean has been released in Poland, doesn't that mean that the rest of the world (or at least Europe) will see it in the next few weeks?

Correct. I'd say three months at the earliest.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Quote Originally Posted by sfrrr View Post

Europe yes. US carriers will take more time, and then Verizon will take even longer because of their approval process.
    Thanked by:
    sfrrr 
    Banned

ROM
    Stock for once.

I just hope their release after such stringent testing is better than the gingerflop they released, then yanked for the Thunderbolt...

I just hope their release after such stringent testing is better than the gingerflop they released, then yanked for the Thunderbolt...
    I had the Thunderbolt as well and I agree that was a terrible update. That being said, a lot has come to pass since then and I do believe that OTA's have gotten better. The problem to me, and this is my speculation nothing set in stone, is whenever you have a device that has a coat of paint over the OS (TouchWiz on GS3 like Sense on Thunderbolt) there may be some bugs that arise. If you have a pure OS like the GNex has it is slightly easier but when you have to add more on top of the OS there is more that could go wrong. Its like anything else. The more feature you add, the more chances for things to go wrong.
    Banned

ROM
    Stock for once.

I agree....I wish there were more PURE Android phone options. I loved my GNex, but the reception was completely unacceptable. (I say that diplomatically because cursing isn't allowed) I had a bad one. Even Verizon acknowledged it. Thought about trying a second one...but....fool me once.... MY S3 gives me 4G where my GNex was fighting for 3G. Guess I got a good one!
    Hi_Tech_Redneck likes this.

I also had a Nexus that was terrible when it came to service. I replaced the sim with 24 hours, and replaced the entire phone two days later. The second one still was a better paper weight than a phone so I returned it before the 14 days was up and got the S3. I can wait for Jelly bean as I am rooted and unlocked, and have been trying a some of the ICS roms, and also a couple of the JB roms. I am on an ICS rom that is stable and working well for me, so I will wait until the official release of JB and see what happens then.
    sent from my awesome Galaxy S3

"Soon" = after Verizon spends 6 months adding bloat and other garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by inm8num2 View Post
    "Soon" = after Verizon spends 6 months adding bloat and other garbage.
    Yea Verizon likes to ensure its working properly before its released... right.

However to their respect in this one, Samsung has stated that JB will be soon but it has not been said by Samsung if soon included the US variants. We know now that they are pushing JB in Europe (mainly Polland) but there is no guarantee that they meant US as well.
    Banned

ROM
    Stock for once.

Quote Originally Posted by radar320 View Post
    Knowing Verizon's track record with updates, I don't expect the official Jelly bean update until probably the middle of next year. Shoot at this point, not everyone has even gotten the VRALG1 update that a lot of people have now. I am still on the VRALF2, when a friend of mine, who bought their S3 two weeks later has it.
    That update won't be for every phone...depends on the hardware config...Mine's on G7. If you bought it when it first came out your HW config is different than mine that I bought 9 days ago. They either fixed known issues (I'd bet on that based on my performance) or found a cheaper source for some parts...which is probably the case, also. The Evo4G had 3 or 5 different variants before it was EOL'd.

On a tangent, the Evo4G was a bad@ss little phone, and still gets support from a lot of developers...They have JB-based ROMs for it now. That phone set the bar, but the S3 absolutely, positively set the bar to a new standard across the spectrum. That's why it's good to have Sprint around when they put out a phone nobody else has....except for that fugly Kyocera Echo.

There isn't necessarily any correlation between time of release and quality of update unfortunately. As a former Galaxy S1 owner, I learned this the hard way.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    1%er

I would predict end of Q1 2013. Hopefully CM10 has a stable mod before then so when JB is pushed out it won't matter.

The ultimate goal of carriers is to frustrate its customers by imposing hidden fees and delaying upgrades by adding unnecessary junk. Why do they need to do this. Isn't it enough that they have their own section in the PlayStore. What else do they need to do besides make a couple modifications that would enhance their signal to the devices.
    Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy S3 - 32GB White (SCH-I535)

ROM
    Stock ICS

I think it's humorous to see all the carrier bashing. Granted VzW isn't the best when it comes to updates and they completely suck for the bloatware. However, it is in the carrier's best interest to release updates as soon as possible. This is also for the manufacturers. Samsung in this case. When this phone was announced, Jelly bean was only JUST announced a few days prior. This is by far the best selling device VzW has. Not to say they won't take their time, but make no mistake, they will not like to have the other carriers update their GS3s to JB before they do. This points back to Samsung. One of the reasons I purchased this device was 1) my Thunderbolt sucked & I knew it wasn't going to get updates anytime soon 2) the features on this far surpassed any Nexus phone even if I could have updates sooner. Remember that the international versions are on a quad core. U.S. version is only a dual core. However with the rollout of JB to UK and international, I am still thinking we're probably looking at a December or first half of Q1 2013. I'll probably need to change my shorts if it comes any sooner but that is also a possibility. If any of you know anything about VzW they never announce anything. And then one day they do something. It's also very possible it could start rolling out next week. The point is that none of us really know. I think projections of well into next year are a little off, but again I don't expect to see it before December time frame.
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast