[Verizon] "OFFICIAL" JellyBean Speculation

radar320

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Manufacturer released the update. verizon then gets it and puts it through test after test, scenario after scenario, then they load all their bloatware on it, and then start the whole process again. If they don't like how something reacts with their add on crap, then they send it back to the manufacturer, who then works on it and then sends it back to verizon, and the whole process starts again. This why we get things months after everyone else and then it is already old news. Just my take on it.....

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
It's been confirmed sprint is getting it in October for their s3 so they'll always be hope :)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Every other carrier will get it before Verizon does, that's for sure.
I've stopped relying on Verizon for software and turned to the developer community. And before that, I had Apple to supply updates. Could you imagine what the iPhone would be like if Verizon were also responsible for its updates as well?

I'm running near-stock Jelly Bean on my S3 and I'm perfectly happy. No need to rely on Verizon.

imma_rage_quit

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
The S3 may be Samsung's flagship device at the moment, but it is not in anyway the flagship device for Verizon. IMO Verizon has shown they care less about the S3 because it is not their "Droid" brand. Everything right now is Razr this and Razr that. That device is their flagship device.

Lets be honest here...VZW likes Moto because the encrypt their bootloaders in a way that cannot be cracked...

thelastdraco

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Lets be honest here...VZW likes Moto because the encrypt their bootloaders in a way that cannot be cracked...
Motorola has been taking small steps to make their devices more open. There are now three moto phones that can have their bootloaders unlocked thanks to a unlocking program released by motorola. Unfortunately they have to be developer devices which cannot be bought from carriers for a contract price. But needless to say the Android community is huge and I'm sure the devs will figure something out. This is a huge step for motorola as they make great phones I don't know why they would do such a thing and lock their bootloaders, I think its actually hurting their sales.
Source

imma_rage_quit

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
True. However, the carrier has final say on this subject and VZW wants the phone locked down so I doubt they will ever opt to allow Moto to add a phone like the DROID Razr HD to their list of phones that can be unlocked on their website. Developer phones would be nice but as of right now there are very few options available in that arena.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

fillossofer

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
My guess is Easter 2013, and it will be the only update the Verizon S3 receives. I think you'll see Jelly Bean and an update to TouchWiz in the update, along with the new Isis payment bloat. There's a reason Verizon has blocked Google Wallet and it is Isis. They can't wait to get this crap on our phones. They were supposed to release in October, but now it's been delayed.

You take the ASOP Jelly Bean, hand it over to Samsung, who takes a month or two to certify it and apply TouchWiz. Then you give it back to Verizon, who takes a minimum of three months to certify updates, another month of back and forth with Samsung, soak testing and the like, and we're downloading an update in April 2013.

At that point Verizon looks at the S3 as an end of life device and no further updates are pursued.

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Just my .02...If my phone continues to perform the way it does right now, I couldn't care less if I ever saw jelly bean. I don't want to screw this phone up, so all ya'll will have to guinea that version for a long time before I update to it.

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Jelly Bean Coming Soon

It's on AC main page...I'm just wondering if I really want it. My phone works perfectly, and I have seen many an update make reception worse, or worse. My phone is bug-free, so how would one go about not getting it until the masses proof it, and subsequent bug fixes are issued? I know on my GNex Verizon just forced the update through.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Re: Jelly Bean Coming Soon

It's on AC main page...I'm just wondering if I really want it. My phone works perfectly, and I have seen many an update make reception worse, or worse. My phone is bug-free, so how would one go about not getting it until the masses proof it, and subsequent bug fixes are issued? I know on my GNex Verizon just forced the update through.

Are you rooted? If so, I'd recommend waiting and seeing what the verdict is, then find a nice ROM based off the official release (that's what I plan to do, since I'm quite happy with it as it is right now). If you're not rooted, then you may not have a choice anyway....

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site

Guess I'll root it then...I'll leave it stock for now...Quite happy with it believe it or not. Everything works!

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

Wait. First of all, Jelly Bean has been released in Polland and if history is going to repeat itself the GS3 won't get JellyBean for A LONG TIME. The Galaxy Nexus only got Jelly Bean last week. You can leave your phone the way it is for now without having to worry about getting updated to Jelly Bean for a while. The Note 2 is coming out to Verizon mid November with Jelly Bean but that is no guarantee that the GS3 will get Jelly Bean before that or around that time frame.

Rooting your phone could answer your question about blocking OTA's however you have to understand by doing that it seems like a pointless reason to root your device, in my opinion. If you don't have a rooted device you are going to want to install the OTA's because if you ever have a warranty issue and you don't have the OTA (aside from hardware issues) Verizon's first comment will be to run the OTA. I have been there with them and the level 1 techs won't know much so they are going to troubleshoot the basic steps.

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site

I've had this phone for 8 days and I haven't rooted it and flashed a new ROM yet. This is the LONGEST I've had a phone that I haven't rooted and flashed a new ROM on by now. It works perfectly, and that's the only reason I haven't yet. I'm starting to get the itch though, just to see what's out there. My only question is, (I'm too lazy to read about it at the moment) can I go back to stock whenever I want to receive an OTA. MY GNex was rooted 15 minutes after I bought it, just to see if I could find a fix for my radios...of course, there wasn't, so I switched to the GS3.

sfrrr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

Wait. First of all, Jelly Bean has been released in Polland and if history is going to repeat itself the GS3 won't get JellyBean for A LONG TIME. The Galaxy Nexus only got Jelly Bean last week. You can leave your phone the way it is for now without having to worry about getting updated to Jelly Bean for a while. The Note 2 is coming out to Verizon mid November with Jelly Bean but that is no guarantee that the GS3 will get Jelly Bean before that or around that time frame.

Wait a minute. I don't understand. If jellybean has been released in Poland, doesn't that mean that the rest of the world (or at least Europe) will see it in the next few weeks?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

Wait a minute. I don't understand. If jellybean has been released in Poland, doesn't that mean that the rest of the world (or at least Europe) will see it in the next few weeks?

Correct. I'd say three months at the earliest.

Sent from my Nexus 7

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

Europe yes. US carriers will take more time, and then Verizon will take even longer because of their approval process.

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site

I just hope their release after such stringent testing is better than the gingerflop they released, then yanked for the Thunderbolt...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20