[Verizon] "OFFICIAL" JellyBean Speculation

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Re: Jelly Bean Coming Soon

I just hope their release after such stringent testing is better than the gingerflop they released, then yanked for the Thunderbolt...

I had the Thunderbolt as well and I agree that was a terrible update. That being said, a lot has come to pass since then and I do believe that OTA's have gotten better. The problem to me, and this is my speculation nothing set in stone, is whenever you have a device that has a coat of paint over the OS (TouchWiz on GS3 like Sense on Thunderbolt) there may be some bugs that arise. If you have a pure OS like the GNex has it is slightly easier but when you have to add more on top of the OS there is more that could go wrong. Its like anything else. The more feature you add, the more chances for things to go wrong.

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site

I agree....I wish there were more PURE Android phone options. I loved my GNex, but the reception was completely unacceptable. (I say that diplomatically because cursing isn't allowed) I had a bad one. Even Verizon acknowledged it. Thought about trying a second one...but....fool me once.... MY S3 gives me 4G where my GNex was fighting for 3G. Guess I got a good one!

radar320

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site

I also had a Nexus that was terrible when it came to service. I replaced the sim with 24 hours, and replaced the entire phone two days later. The second one still was a better paper weight than a phone so I returned it before the 14 days was up and got the S3. I can wait for Jelly bean as I am rooted and unlocked, and have been trying a some of the ICS roms, and also a couple of the JB roms. I am on an ICS rom that is stable and working well for me, so I will wait until the official release of JB and see what happens then.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

"Soon" = after Verizon spends 6 months adding bloat and other garbage.

Yea Verizon likes to ensure its working properly before its released... right.

However to their respect in this one, Samsung has stated that JB will be soon but it has not been said by Samsung if soon included the US variants. We know now that they are pushing JB in Europe (mainly Polland) but there is no guarantee that they meant US as well.

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Knowing Verizon's track record with updates, I don't expect the official Jelly bean update until probably the middle of next year. Shoot at this point, not everyone has even gotten the VRALG1 update that a lot of people have now. I am still on the VRALF2, when a friend of mine, who bought their S3 two weeks later has it.

That update won't be for every phone...depends on the hardware config...Mine's on G7. If you bought it when it first came out your HW config is different than mine that I bought 9 days ago. They either fixed known issues (I'd bet on that based on my performance) or found a cheaper source for some parts...which is probably the case, also. The Evo4G had 3 or 5 different variants before it was EOL'd.

On a tangent, the Evo4G was a bad@ss little phone, and still gets support from a lot of developers...They have JB-based ROM's for it now. That phone set the bar, but the S3 absolutely, positively set the bar to a new standard across the spectrum. That's why it's good to have Sprint around when they put out a phone nobody else has....except for that fugly Kyocera Echo.

Last edited:

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I just hope their release after such stringent testing is better than the gingerflop they released, then yanked for the Thunderbolt...

There isn't necessarily any correlation between time of release and quality of update unfortunately. As a former Galaxy S1 owner, I learned this the hard way.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I would predict end of Q1 2013. Hopefully CM10 has a stable mod before then so when JB is pushed out it won't matter.

thelastdraco

May 31, 2010
Visit site
The ultimate goal of carriers is to frustrate its customers by imposing hidden fees and delaying upgrades by adding unnecessary junk. Why do they need to do this. Isn't it enough that they have their own section in the PlayStore. What else do they need to do besides make a couple modifications that would enhance their signal to the devices.

Blams

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
I think it's humorous to see all the carrier bashing. Granted VzW isn't the best when it comes to updates and they completely suck for the bloatware. However, it is in the carrier's best interest to release updates as soon as possible. This is also for the manufacturers. Samsung in this case. When this phone was announced, Jelly bean was only JUST announced a few days prior. This is by far the best selling device VzW has. Not to say they won't take their time, but make no mistake, they will not like to have the other carriers update their GS3s to JB before they do. This points back to Samsung. One of the reasons I purchased this device was 1) my Thunderbolt sucked & I knew it wasn't going to get updates anytime soon 2) the features on this far surpassed any Nexus phone even if I could have updates sooner. Remember that the international versions are on a quad core. U.S. version is only a dual core. However with the rollout of JB to UK and international, I am still thinking we're probably looking at a December or first half of Q1 2013. I'll probably need to change my shorts if it comes any sooner but that is also a possibility. If any of you know anything about VzW they never announce anything. And then one day they do something. It's also very possible it could start rolling out next week. The point is that none of us really know. I think projections of well into next year are a little off, but again I don't expect to see it before December time frame.

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Some pf you guys sound plan silly ....like Verizon is just trying to piss the folks off on the android central forums .....smh....if you want stuff pushed out fast get off Verizon....Verizon is known for quality...so if you want company that does extensive checks and balances ...that's what you have....it sucks to wait but you knew that...

I expect JB within a 2 week window of the rest of the US carries

Sent from my GS3....

Roffles

May 7, 2010
Visit site
if you want stuff pushed out fast get off Verizon....Verizon is known for quality...so if you want company that does extensive checks and balances ...that's what you have...

I have to disagree with you there. My observation is that every move by Verizon is calculated to extract more money from its customers. Sure their network is robust and that's why I'm a proud customer, but the software that makes a phone "quality" has nothing to do with them. In fact, Verizon is directly responsible for hurting Android's quality because they bloat their ROM's with dozens of force-ware apps that use system resources and just simply get in the way. And it can't be a coincidence that software updates for older feature phones are NEVER released until after the buzz/hype from newer feature phones dies down. Of course there is no way to prove it, but I would almost be willing to bet my life that Verizon is sitting on a perfectly usable Jelly Bean ROM for the GS3 as I type this. Why? Because of the iPhone5 and the new RAZR's. They always want you buying the newest, most expensive, and most up-to-date phone.

Another good example is last year when they revised their return policy from 30 days to 14 days so they can announce and push out newer and better phones closer together without any blowback. Shortly thereafter, they eliminated unlimited data and they are doing whatever they can to put people into tiered data contracts. The insane part of it all is that LTE is just taking off -- More and more people are quickly realizing the 2GB tier is a joke. The need for more data and more expensive tiers will only grow as people discover they can use and very quickly exceed 2GB when they FTP, VPN, media stream, e-mail, torrent, navigate, network, tether, etcetera. Why even buy a smart phone if you can't freely do these things without worrying about getting overcharged for exceeding your data allowance? $149.99 used to be the ceiling for a brand new feature phone -- now it starts at $199.99 and goes all over the place in the 249.99-299.99-399.99 range. They are essentially ripping people off by overcharging for expanded storage capacity.

Like I said, I love the Verizon network because it's reliable and robust...but it's a far cry from a consumer friendly company and it seems like they haven't done anything but interfere with the Android user experience with their delayed updates and all the force-ware they bake into their ROM. End rant!

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I have to disagree with you there. My observation is that every move by Verizon is calculated to extract more money from its customers. Sure their network is robust and that's why I'm a proud customer, but the software that makes a phone "quality" has nothing to do with them. In fact, Verizon is directly responsible for hurting Android's quality because they bloat their ROM's with dozens of force-ware apps that use system resources and just simply get in the way. And it can't be a coincidence that software updates for older feature phones are NEVER released until after the buzz/hype from newer feature phones dies down. Of course there is no way to prove it, but I would almost be willing to bet my life that Verizon is sitting on a perfectly usable Jelly Bean ROM for the GS3 as I type this. Why? Because of the iPhone5 and the new RAZR's. They always want you buying the newest, most expensive, and most up-to-date phone.

Another good example is last year when they revised their return policy from 30 days to 14 days so they can announce and push out newer and better phones closer together without any blowback. Shortly thereafter, they eliminated unlimited data and they are doing whatever they can to put people into tiered data contracts. The insane part of it all is that LTE is just taking off -- More and more people are quickly realizing the 2GB tier is a joke. The need for more data and more expensive tiers will only grow as people discover they can use and very quickly exceed 2GB when they FTP, VPN, media stream, e-mail, torrent, navigate, network, tether, etcetera. Why even buy a smart phone if you can't freely do these things without worrying about getting overcharged for exceeding your data allowance? $149.99 used to be the ceiling for a brand new feature phone -- now it starts at $199.99 and goes all over the place in the 249.99-299.99-399.99 range. They are essentially ripping people off by overcharging for expanded storage capacity.

Like I said, I love the Verizon network because it's reliable and robust...but it's a far cry from a consumer friendly company and it seems like they haven't done anything but interfere with the Android user experience with their delayed updates and all the force-ware they bake into their ROM. End rant!

And Elvis and Tupac are Alive...... I mean this just sounds silly....
They have tons of people with the GS3 and tons of them in Stock... So why wouldn't they want to sell what they already have purchased, and jelly bean would do that sell more GS3's.... I have worked for Verizon and I know they hate when you call in...Because it cost the tons of money to take your call 800#s charged per call trust me this I know.... So to prevent more calls coming in they train and test on every major release.... Any time a major update happens they train every rep who has customer contact on it before it's released... They test it to prevent your call in....They don't push it out soon as they get it...They want to provide top notch customer service check consumer reports and compare it to the companies who you feel push out updates fats...
This company makes money cause they know how... And it's not by not updating products... When they can just run commercials for what they want to push...
By shared data plans and fees yes.... But that has nothing to do with the GS3 and jelly bean
Sent from my GS3....

Last edited:

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
honestly just about every update ive ever got from verizon has caused me about as many problems as its fixed . ill be very very leary about updating my s3 to jelly bean . i updated to ics with my razr and it basically ruined it . my s3 works as close to perfect as ive ever had any android device work im in no hurry to chance it to a update from verizon .in fact my jelly bean device will most likely be the note2 .

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I have always found that the only way to have an update from Verizon is that when you get the notification, do a wipe, do another one, restart, then update.

I usually do not care, like right now I am already on 4.1.2....

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
honestly just about every update ive ever got from verizon has caused me about as many problems as its fixed . ill be very very leary about updating my s3 to jelly bean . i updated to ics with my razr and it basically ruined it . my s3 works as close to perfect as ive ever had any android device work im in no hurry to chance it to a update from verizon .in fact my jelly bean device will most likely be the note2 .

Yep...you read my mind.

PamelaBB

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
i'm not seeing jelly bean being released until at least a while after the note 2 comes out because just like the s3 was a big deal because ics came installed the note 2 is supposed to be a big deal because it's the first phone to be launched with jelly bean.

ant lee

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Next update after HE is I535VRBLI3 which is 4.1.1 jelly bean :)

Jelly bean is coming next month verizon releases updates every month last month was G7
This month was HE & next month is LI3 jelly bean!!

socialillz

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Re: Next update after HE is I535VRBLI3 which is 4.1.1 jelly bean :)

Wishful thinking

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci