Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree71Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

Default [Verizon] "OFFICIAL" JellyBean Speculation

With everyone's mind turning towards JellyBean, I thought it a good idea to try and keep it confined to a single thread.

Post all of your rumors, speculation, whining, complaining and disgust over how the JellyBean release is going, here.

There is no reason to post more than a single thread. When it comes out. There will be several more threads I will open for the same purpose.

Thanks
    Thanked by 2:
    D P Bdavidnc 
    Paul627g and lesorkim like this.

Default Re: [Verizon] "OFFICIAL" JellyBean Speculation

Knowing Verizon's track record with updates, I don't expect the official Jelly bean update until probably the middle of next year. Shoot at this point, not everyone has even gotten the VRALG1 update that a lot of people have now. I am still on the VRALF2, when a friend of mine, who bought their S3 two weeks later has it.
    sent from my awesome Galaxy S3

I agree with next year
    Or maybe not at all. That is a possibility.

What is this VRALG1?

baseband and radio build
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by radar320 View Post
    baseband and radio build
    Which also may not make a difference.. The Galaxy Nexus was the same way.. different versions but they were both the same in the end... they were labeled different as they were released, same as what seems to be happening here in this case.

Also with the PDK:
    Starting with Jelly Bean, Google will release aPDK (Product Development Kit)to Android manufacturers months before the OS is actually ready to go. This way, Google is trying to make the update process go faster, and its an idea that should work well in the long run.
    Hopefully we will start seeing new OS's pushed to devices a lot faster then what we're used to seeing. The international version has already been spotted running JB. The only drawback is we'll have to wait for Verizon to load their crap onto it before it gets pushed out.

Global Posts
    552 Global Posts

I dont ever expect Verizon to actually "support" their devices with updates as they should. They only care about selling the next device. With the new Razrs coming out the S3 will fall to the wayside like so many others. They couldn't even get the Nexus right and let a much smaller CDMA company beat them to pushing JB out to it before them.
    TheSickAndTwisted

Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    ROM
    EOS 4 (forever)

You guys have to understand something before you go any longer wondering when the update will come out. Every time I pick a phone, the updates become instantly dried up. It's all my fault and I know it. From my Blackberries to Bionic and now the S3, I seem to drive updates away better than I drove girls away in high school.

So, my prediction for Jelly Bean is going to have to be some time 4th quarter.... 2013.
    Thanked by:
    nickf126, MERCDROID and Ouzo92 like this.

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts

I would think they'll get the JB update done sometime in October. With the iPhone coming out, you'd think they would want to keep their flagship Android device as competitive as possible.

The S3 may be Samsung's flagship device at the moment, but it is not in anyway the flagship device for Verizon. IMO Verizon has shown they care less about the S3 because it is not their "Droid" brand. Everything right now is Razr this and Razr that. That device is their flagship device.
    TheSickAndTwisted

Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    ROM
    EOS 4 (forever)

Quote Originally Posted by radar320 View Post
    The S3 may be Samsung's flagship device at the moment, but it is not in anyway the flagship device for Verizon. IMO Verizon has shown they care less about the S3 because it is not their "Droid" brand. Everything right now is Razr this and Razr that. That device is their flagship device.
    This actually doesn't seem to be an accurate statement. The Bionic carries the DROID appendage and it isn't getting its updates. So, that line of logic seems a bit flawed.

Ok, I misspoke. Let me rephrase, Verizon picks and chooses which phones they want to support and push on customers and the S3 isn't one of them. They are all about the razr. You are right and thank you for correcting me. I had forgotten about my charge being of the "droid" brand and they pretty much crapped on that one.
    broadwayblues likes this.

I'm am hoping this year for JB, but it probably wont show up until the 2013 second quarter. Verizon has shown time and time again they don't care about existing customers and phone updates. If you get one update, consider yourself lucky. Actually surprised the SG3 came to Verizon at all. Still don't have the OTA VRALG1 update, even this minor update gets the Verizon middle finger.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm am hoping this year for JB, but it probably wont show up until the 2013 second quarter. Verizon has shown time and time again they don't care about existing customers and phone updates. If you get one update, consider yourself lucky. Actually surprised the SG3 came to Verizon at all. Still don't have the OTA VRALG1 update, even this minor update gets the Verizon middle finger.

Global Posts
    704 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock Galaxy S3

You guys have to realize Verizon is never going to release timely updates for the GS3 or the Nexus. These are by far the best phones w.r.t dev support and having a long lifespan, thus it's in Verizon's best interests to delay updates and thus force people who have no idea about rooting to get a new phone.
    Thanked by:
    Blams 
    Blams and jekyll99 like this.

Lets go for a more current update. CNet UK posted this about an October release. This may only be for the UK in October so the US may be later. For us on Verizon I'm not expecting anything till November now.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Jelly Bean update confirmed for October | CNET UK

What did that fix?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Just to be correct Google bought the motto razr brand

If anyone can provide a great response on this would be great... ok Verizon says it's manufacture that releases the updates but I've also heard that the code is particular for cdma.... and big red has to run there test to any one want to chime in? And what other carriers do cdma + galaxy s3

Quote Originally Posted by smbrooks32 View Post
    Just to be correct Google bought the motto razr brand

Not just Moto Razr brand, Google bought all of Motorola Mobilities.

Manufacturer released the update. verizon then gets it and puts it through test after test, scenario after scenario, then they load all their bloatware on it, and then start the whole process again. If they don't like how something reacts with their add on crap, then they send it back to the manufacturer, who then works on it and then sends it back to verizon, and the whole process starts again. This why we get things months after everyone else and then it is already old news. Just my take on it.....
    Ouzo92 likes this.
    TheSickAndTwisted

Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    ROM
    EOS 4 (forever)

Can we say.... Woops?
    jiffy247 likes this.

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

It's been confirmed sprint is getting it in October for their s3 so they'll always be hope

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

Global Posts
    489 Global Posts

Every other carrier will get it before Verizon does, that's for sure.
    I've stopped relying on Verizon for software and turned to the developer community. And before that, I had Apple to supply updates. Could you imagine what the iPhone would be like if Verizon were also responsible for its updates as well?

I'm running near-stock Jelly Bean on my S3 and I'm perfectly happy. No need to rely on Verizon.
    ConTejas likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BasPilot View Post
    Can we say.... Woops?
    Actually if you read the article, it was the non US version of the S3 and it did indeed begin rolling out around that time.
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast