The Story of 8 Galaxy S3's

mooserman

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Well this whole mess started about a month ago or so when my #1 gs3 decided to start making a rattling noise, the thread I made about it is right here. So after posting that I called up verizon and got a refurb sent on its way out to me because I'd had the phone for about a month when it broke. Well with #2 it all seemed great until I instantly noticed that the home button didn't work right, it didn't have a click to it, would get stuck down, and only registered a push when it was exactly in the middle. This was not acceptable for a $600 device at all, so I gave verizon a call again and they sent out #3.

Well with number three the first thing I realized was apparently my back cover didn't fit right on this phone, so a call was made to big red who directed me it to a verizon store where they replaced my back cover with another one that actually fit right oddly enough. Then right after I got back from that I realized that there were two huge scratches right across the middle of the screen, apparently caused when the phone was getting fixed originally, that I missed noticing earlier because the battery cover wouldn't fit right. So then I called up good old verizon again and they sent out #4. Well that phone seemed fine for a couple days until I made a phone call and realized that the top speaker, the one used for regular phone calls, had a terrible buzzing to it whenever someone was talking over the line. So it was another call to verizon who had me bring it to the verizon store again who then told me there that they couldn't do anything for the next week and half because I already had three phones in the system. Apparently verizon's system only lets you have three phones in the process at once and I had to wait until the warehouse on the opposite side of the country had received all the phones I'd sent back before they could send me #5.

*week and half later* I called them up again and out comes #5. Well this phone seemed to work decently fine except for the fact it got excessively hot from normal usage, compared to the last 4 devices I'd had. So I called up verizon yet again and they decided the best thing to do would be to send out another one. So that's when I got #6, which had its own issues of the touch screen not responding to various touches, which is really obnoxious. So I give verizon another call and they proceed to send out #7 which I received yesterday. The first thing I noticed wrong with this particular device is that, yet again, the back cover won't go on right. Considering that the cover fit just perfectly on the last 4 devices, it's ridiculous. Also this phone gets really hot too from normal usage. So I called up verizon again and they told me that, yet once again, I've reached the maximum amount of devices that I can have in the system at once. So I'm stuck with a phone that's back cover doesn't go on completely and overheats, for the next week at least. Well all I can say is I hope #8 is better than the last 7.

After all this though I do have to give verizon's tech support a shout-out for being extremely helpful, they will always answer quickly and do their best to solve your problem. Also apparently after your first replacement device they give you overnight shipping on all the ones afterwards. Along with verizon's tech support I also want to thank the screen protector company skinomi a ton for sending me out another screen protector even though they didn't have to at all, after one got ruined on one of the bad phones.

I really do love this phone when it's working right, but I haven't had much of a chance to really personalize it yet for obvious reasons. So has anyone else ever had a terrible cycle of bad phones like this or am I just horribly unlucky?

Reactions: markespo55

MERCDROID

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Wow.... Just wow... I don't know what to say... Sorry? :-\ I can relate to the phone getting hot when I was using the stock battery. I think after the first phone, every other phone that Verizon sends you is a "quick job" refurb. I applaud the techs for helping, and Verizon for sending you phone after phone, but you have to question the kind of "refurbishing" that they are doing :confused: I think I remember someone having similar luck with the Galaxy Nexus (not sure which variant). It could just be Samsung's build quality

WhoMe

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to hear it. That being said Im really very glad my first one is still rock solid.

Mine did get warm in the beginning..but nothing I found uncomfortable or outside what I expected during heavy usage or when I was somwhere with bad reception. Never bothered me again after I put a case on it...dont feel a thing lol.

Overclocked to almost 2 gigs and she purrs...goodluck with your next one. Though I admit if I were in your shoes I would have asked for a refund.

MERCDROID

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to hear it. That being said Im really very glad my first one is still rock solid.

Mine did get warm in the beginning..but nothing I found uncomfortable or outside what I expected during heavy usage or when I was somwhere with bad reception. Never bothered me again after I put a case on it...dont feel a thing lol.

Overclocked to almost 2 gigs and she purrs...goodluck with your next one. Though I admit if I were in your shoes I would have asked for a refund.
I'll second that on asking for a refund. Mooserman, you have a lot of patience :D I would have been fed up with the GS3 after the 2nd refurb. I would have demanded a brand new one.

lbkiml

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
You sent it back because your phone got hot? Hot from normal usage? I don't know if you know what normal usage is from changing phones so often. If your current phone is hot too, then maybe its just normal?

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Wow, sounds like the tale of when I had issues with my old school BlackBerry curve.

You do know that with your contract, if you go through 4 replacement devices they are required to give you a new phone of equal or lesser value. You probably could even argue that you just want a brand new GS3 for the trouble instead of all the refurbs.

Verizon has always given me no real issues when it comes to their warranty, they want to keep you happy and I am sure they understand your frustration. This is a $600 phone and the fact that they can't send you 1 out of 7 that doesn't work like it should is a bit crazy. Hope all turns out for the best.

Reactions: mooserman

mooserman

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I'll second that on asking for a refund. Mooserman, you have a lot of patience :D I would have been fed up with the GS3 after the 2nd refurb. I would have demanded a brand new one.

You have to understand my situation here, basically the main reason I went with the gs3 is that I wanted to stay grandfathered into the unlimited data that I've had for years. So if I got a refund I'd be back to my old droid x and in the hole for another 500-600$ to buy a different 4g phone at full price. I had no idea that you could ask for a new phone after four, they did give me a credit for about $20 after the forth one though.

You sent it back because your phone got hot? Hot from normal usage? I don't know if you know what normal usage is from changing phones so often. If your current phone is hot too, then maybe its just normal?

The level of heat that it was putting off was way more than my original phone that I used for a month and the couple phones after that. I do know how hot phones can get, I used a Droid X for two years and boy could that thing get toasty.

markespo55

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Well Mr! You have me beat by 3.
I am on my #5 phone and I have to stay with it because of Verizon. I guess I'll share my story :)

#1 So on launch day I jumped ship from sprint to BIG RED because I wanted the full experience of my S3. I had the phone for 4 days and suddenly I turned my phone on one day and a lime green line went down the middle of my screen. Went to Verizon and got it returned no problem.
#2-#3 everything was fine until the next day. I woke up and went to my phone. Turned the screen on and it went from 100% power to 5% in a second. I then turned it off. When it rebooted everything was okay. 15 mins after my reboot my battery died. I took it to Verizon and they changed my battery... The same thing happened.

#4 phone was working perfectly for a day or so until next. Realized how hot my phone got after minimal usage. Not just warm though. HOT! I could barely use it for than 2 mins (just to clarify. I cook for a living so I can handle hot stuff) anyways I took it to Verizon and right when I walked in the employees didn't want to talk to me. I finally asked for the manager and she didn't want to give me a 5th phone. I was calm and nice the entire time while they kept raising they're voices at me. After about 30 mins I got #5 with them complaining and saying not to come back.

#5 I haven't had any problems with this phone for 2 months now. We'll my battery still gets extremely hot but I didn't want to go back to Verizon because they said they wouldn't exchange it.

I also have a question about this problem I'm having as well...
If I root my S3 will my battery not get as hot as it does now? Or would I just have to get another phone?
Sorry for the long response. But thanks guys and good luck with your #8 sir!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

mooserman

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Just to show how Hot my phone got. Up to 115. Crazy!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Wow that's pretty freaking toasty, if it really bothers you could just call up verizon's tech support. I've found them to be much, much better than taking the devices to the stores. It would almost seem that the stores somehow lose money for each phone they get replaced?

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Is that C or F for the 115 Degrees? If its 115F that's really not that bad. That would only be a bit over 46C. Comparatively speaking my laptop idles at 38c and that's with fans running.

rls1400

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
You should demand a new device instead of getting refurbs. I certainly would have after the 3rd replacement. If VZW phone support gives you problems, go to a corporate store and try your luck there. Make sure you have a list printed of the issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22