Better battery life on 4G than on 3G?

inm8num2

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Has anybody else noticed this with their phones? My 4G signal is 5 bars vs 3G at 3 bars when I'm at home or work. I'm noticing that perhaps my 4G battery life is a little better, possibly due to the better signal. Does it make sense that the 4G coverage would actually be better than the 3G coverage?

If the signals are a primary determinant in battery life, then it makes sense with what I'm seeing. It's not an enormous difference, but I'd say 15% or so better for when the phone is just doing background syncing and whatnot.

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I would guess when on 3g you are looking for a 4g signal once and a while causing a little more battery drain

drmaf894c

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I noticed this last time I traveled. I was in an area that had no 4g and in went through battery much faster than I do here at home. And was actually using it less as I was in meetings the whole trip. I found it odd but seems to make sense if it is constantly searching for 4g it would drain a lot faster.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

murphious

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I am no expert on the matter but i thought of putting my thoughts in.

The 4G network works so well in buildings and houses because it takes on the characteristics of 2G. It is able to go through building and infrastructure or around objects much more easily than 3G.

Having used 2G and 3G I can see the noticeable difference. 3G phones make it seem like it is working harder to send and receive these said signals and thus adding to the battery strain. More excessive telecommunication activity...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums