Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kevin O'Quinn
  • 1 Post By droidman2177
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default 4G and Call Signal Strength

I've loved my GS3 since the first day I received it, but one thing that has been absolutely horrendous is the signal strength. I came from a Droid Bionic, which gave me great signal everywhere. Now with my GS3, I struggle to get a signal even in my own home. Additionally, I no longer am able to connect to the 4G network consistently - it seems to spontaneously connect and disconnect at times. I use run outside with my phone frequently and can go from having a great 4G signal, to a 3G signal, to no data connection in downtown Milwaukee.

I went into Verizon yesterday, handed them my phone, and the first thing out of the representative's mouth was, "This doesn't look right" - he didn't recognize that I had installed a launcher. Then he went into a long tirade about how Nova Launcher was probably screwing up my signal and that I shouldn't install those programs. At that point, I gave up talking with him because he seemed to lack the necessary knowledge about my phone.

A few questions: First, is my signal strength issue "normal"? (In other words, should I push harder with Verizon to replace/fix my phone?) Second, would any tinkering on my part possibly help my signal strength?

I love the phone; I'm just frustrated with it right now. Thanks for any help!
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,933 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: 4G and Call Signal Strength

Motorola is pretty much the king of reception, but I would try to get Verizon to do something for you.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry likes this.

You have call tech support those guys in the stores are as helpful as tits Inca bore hog. If or when you call you just as well ask for level 2 support. To help you're not the first to report signal issues with this phone or any Samsung phone. They have the crappiest radios of any phone maker on the market. I agree moto is king and of all other brands the HTC comes in a close second.
    I've always said Samsung puts some nice hardware in there phones like the gIII but then they kill it with crappy radios all those nice specs are useless if you can't make use of them. Those who have success are in a saturated 4g area if you ever notice. Best of luck

Sent from my HTC Resound using Tapatalk 2

From what everyones saying thats just the way these phones are. My signal is usually low but I have good call quality and usually good data speeds so..
    If u call tech support they will most likely just have u check your settings and then reset your sim card. Usually doesnt do much. But it cant hurt to try.

Don't pay attention to the bars on your GS3. They may show you a marginal signal, but that is not actually a great indicator of your true signal. Go to the about phone in your settings and hit status and you will see what your strength really is. My point is that the bars on the home screen are more to do with the way the software is written to display your signal rather than what you may be truly getting signal wise. They changed this exact thing on the rezound in its first update cause everyone was complaining of a bad signal. Yeah, well the only thing that they did was make the phone show more bars for the same signal strength. My GS3 shows low signal too, but i have never dropped a call or had any data issues. Your phone is fine, It is just the way it is all displayed.
    Murphy5111 likes this.

mine gets a good signal comparable to my Maxx . my friend has a razr and lives in a fringe area and we have compared both of them side by side multiple times and difference is just not enough to make a difference . I would for sure try for a replacement device from verizon if i was you .

I am on my third sim card since July 13th. This one seems to be holding 3g and 4g much better. Still waiting to see what the update will do when and if we ever get it.
    sent from my awesome Galaxy S3

Global Posts
    289 Global Posts

It might not even be the phone thats the problem, could be the carrier
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I don't have a problem with the signal display - it's the actual signal. The call quality can be horrendous when sitting right next to the window, and I lose data frequently. I've had my SIM card replaced already to no avail. I may try to give Verizon a call when I get a chance - just curious as to whether I received a dud phone or if there was something I could do to fix the problems. Thank you for all the suggestions!

Global Posts
    1,371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock unrooted

Oh no! Eating my words now. I'm sitting in the same exact seat in class I always sit at. DROID RAZR had no issues with signal. I would text all morning. Now with the S3 it won't send texts, says no signal! Crap.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    4G LTE Thunderbolt

Quote Originally Posted by Bond32 View Post
    Oh no! Eating my words now. I'm sitting in the same exact seat in class I always sit at. DROID RAZR had no issues with signal. I would text all morning. Now with the S3 it won't send texts, says no signal! Crap.

Well that almost seals NOT getting an S3 as I've been considering.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    1,371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock unrooted

Quote Originally Posted by blakke39 View Post
    Well that almost seals NOT getting an S3 as I've been considering.

Ya I didn't forsee this. I honestly thought Samsung had made drastic improvements. Could just me me or something. Also noticed it sends and receives texts fine if I'm leaving it on the desk and not holding it. Could be a weak signal.

4G LTE Thunderbolt

Quote Originally Posted by Bond32 View Post
    Ya I didn't forsee this. I honestly thought Samsung had made drastic improvements. Could just me me or something. Also noticed it sends and receives texts fine if I'm leaving it on the desk and not holding it. Could be a weak signal.

Yeah I wouldn't expect radio issues on a premium device like the S3. For whatever reason it seems it just has a weak radio, quite simply. Maybe somebody with more technical knowledge can explain the variations but based on a bunch of posts about various radio related S3 issues on AC and other forums, it seems it just sucks. So for now I'm holding off. Time to back off as a non owner and lurk.

AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,933 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Samsung is just known for not having strong radios. Probably has a lot to do with the RIL they use (that's the software between your radio and the tower).

Sent from my HTC One XL using Android Central Forums
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

I have two issues that VZW Techs are working on. One is with 4G signal strength. They are in process of resolving and are aware of 4G issues in my area. They are actively working to resolve or improve but don't expect it to be overnight by any means. I'll give them some time and be patient for once.

Semper Fidelis
    Gunny

Yeah it isn't the best radio and switching software setup, but despite the low signal strength, I haven't had any call issues since the end of July, and I have even made calls in the back of a moving ambulance, which I couldn't do with the Nexus. I am though on my third sim card, but this latest one has been solid.
    sent from my awesome Galaxy S3

Global Posts
    1,371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock unrooted

Honestly, it sucks but I can make due. Connecting to the school wifi is no problem so I can potentially use gtalk. Have had a few small signal issues here and there but the phone is so darn good I will make due.
    4G LTE Thunderbolt

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnyh View Post
    I have two issues that VZW Techs are working on. One is with 4G signal strength. They are in process of resolving and are aware of 4G issues in my area. They are actively working to resolve or improve but don't expect it to be overnight by any means. I'll give them some time and be patient for once.
    Well hopefully they're able to fix the problem in the end instead having to come back with no resolution and saying you happen to live in a 'marginal coverage area.' If the latter happens you'll be able to cancel your contract without paying the termination fee on your contract, if course you're even on one... goodluck!

I think it's a range issue maybe something with the antenna. I live about two miles from the tower that serves my home area (buddy works for Verizon and gave me the info). Bars are always one or two, decibal always around -105 or so. I can drive about halfway to the tower and bars jump to max and decibal will drop into the -80's range. Having quite a bit of expierience with radio systems, antennas, etc in my opinion it's just a weak radio/antenna as others have stated. Let's all hope a radio upgrade will help but I'm not holding my breath since there has already been three radios released (one being a leak) and they all seem to be about the same.

Great phone though !
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by sfobrien View Post
    I think it's a range issue maybe something with the antenna. I live about two miles from the tower that serves my home area (buddy works for Verizon and gave me the info). Bars are always one or two, decibal always around -105 or so. I can drive about halfway to the tower and bars jump to max and decibal will drop into the -80's range. Having quite a bit of expierience with radio systems, antennas, etc in my opinion it's just a weak radio/antenna as others have stated. Let's all hope a radio upgrade will help but I'm not holding my breath since there has already been three radios released (one being a leak) and they all seem to be about the same.

Great phone though !
    Yep it's a great car, but if it only had an engine.

sorry for your troubles. my gs3 gets almost as good signal as my razr maxx and rezound. in some areas, the gs3 signal is better than razr maxx. perhaps you have a defective phone. which software version are you running?

Global Posts
    1,371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock unrooted

I assume I am on the latest. I actually did a factory reset recently and that solved a few issues I personally was having. It's not a big deal to me but I can see how some people consider it a big deal.
    4G LTE Thunderbolt