Latest Update on Rooted and/or Unlocked Phones????

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
I delayed the update I received this morning until tonight. Anyone know the effect of the update on phones that are rooted and have unlocked bootloaders??

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I delayed the update I received this morning until tonight. Anyone know the effect of the update on phones that are rooted and have unlocked bootloaders??

You will loose root for one, don't know what exactly what it'll do to the bootloader if anything but I wouldn't do it if I were you.

Edit: Anytime that you are rooted/unlocked you don't want to do any OTA for the chance of it bricking your phone. Will that happen? Probably not but is it worth the risk? No. If anything, someone will come out with a rooted image of the OTA soon and then you can just easily flash that like you flashed the rooted version the first time.

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I hadn't done this yet and the forced update went through last night.

Woke up to a TWRP recovery screen this morning. I was going to restore a backup just to be safe, but I took a chance that having an alternate recovery on my device would cause the update to fail and chose to reboot (with fingers crossed). The device rebooted normally then immediately displayed a pop-up that the update had failed. Whew.

Immediately froze the SDM 1.0 file with TB.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I hadn't done this yet and the forced update went through last night.

Woke up to a TWRP recovery screen this morning. I was going to restore a backup just to be safe, but I took a chance that having an alternate recovery on my device would cause the update to fail and chose to reboot (with fingers crossed). The device rebooted normally then immediately displayed a pop-up that the update had failed. Whew.

Immediately froze the SDM 1.0 file with TB.

Same exact thing happened to me.

cthr

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I run a rooted stock Rom. I used voodoo ota rootkeeper, and updated my phone. Than did a root check. And kept my root. I than froze the extra bloatware they gave and now my s-beam connects faster and my data actually does run faster.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I run a rooted stock Rom. I used voodoo ota rootkeeper, and updated my phone. Than did a root check. And kept my root. I than froze the extra bloatware they gave and now my s-beam connects faster and my data actually does run faster.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Did you have any previous system apps frozen? Cause accepting an OTA with missing system files normally borks up the phone.

Also do you have a locked or unlocked bootloader?

scraptacular

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Do not accept it.... Go to Titanium Backup and freeze SDM 1.0
Can you please give me some guidance doing this. I see how to freeze an app using TBP, but I can't find SDM (unless I just don't know what it stands for :-[, which is entirely possible). Much appreciated!

UPDATE: Nevermind! I searched for SDM in TBP on my S3 and found that it's not installed. So I guess I'm good to go with CM 10?!

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Can you please give me some guidance doing this. I see how to freeze an app using TBP, but I can't find SDM (unless I just don't know what it stands for :-[, which is entirely possible). Much appreciated!

UPDATE: Nevermind! I searched for SDM in TBP on my S3 and found that it's not installed. So I guess I'm good to go with CM 10?!

Yeah.... Most custom ROMs should already have it disabled. It's really only for stock rooted users.

Here's what it looks like anyways:

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1347897247508.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1347897247508.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 67

hockeymn25

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I think I received the update and it made my phone very laggy. Couldn't make calls and send texts. Was using synergy, had to hard reset and can only use stock root now. Very weird.

OWybPPgO

Geek Mom
Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Ok, but if I'm rooted just using the script method (I never flashed antrhing, never froze anything), I can take the update, right? I know I might lose root.

hockeymn25

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
can anyone tell me why i can't use synergy anymore after getting the update without realizing it? i have root and unlocked bootloader but only stock root will work. synergy, beans both won't function now.

thx

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
can anyone tell me why i can't use synergy anymore after getting the update without realizing it? i have root and unlocked bootloader but only stock root will work. synergy, beans both won't function now.

thx

What exactly is happening when you're trying to flash synergy?

hockeymn25

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
What exactly is happening when you're trying to flash synergy?

It will flash to my gs3 but then everything lags. can't make calls, send texts. unbelievable lag. Synergy was great and then I think i got hit with an update unknowingly and now I can only use stock rooted and unlocked bootloader.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakhikumari800000