Group Text Messaging

Jeremyg729

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

I was wondering if there is a way to get group text messages to show the same way they do on the iPhone (all in one message) as opposed to the phone separating each person's replies.

schulzjt

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
When I tested the functionality of Handcent, I sent out a group text to 2 friends with iphones, when they both replied back to me their text arrived in separate threads, when I opened the threads I had to click on a "download" button, once I did that the message appeared in the original group thread that I had sent out. Is there a cleaner way to use the group texting feature without having to go into the new threads and download them? Is there a setting that I have missed somewhere? Thanks!

OneForth

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Yea I highlt recommend Go SMS because there is just so many features, u can do anything. Give it a try!

Sent from my LG Phoenix P505 using Tapatalk

smitty24

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
When I tested the functionality of Handcent, I sent out a group text to 2 friends with iphones, when they both replied back to me their text arrived in separate threads, when I opened the threads I had to click on a "download" button, once I did that the message appeared in the original group thread that I had sent out. Is there a cleaner way to use the group texting feature without having to go into the new threads and download them? Is there a setting that I have missed somewhere? Thanks!

there is likely a setting you have to change that says 'MMS Group Chat' or 'Convert to group chat' something along those lines - that should keep the messages in their own thread. At least there is in GO SMS (Under Send settings)

cjsmoove

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Hi All,

I was wondering if there is a way to get group text messages to show the same way they do on the iPhone (all in one message) as opposed to the phone separating each person's replies.

Stock works just as well as the mentioned ones. When you send a message it will go as a MMS and ALL the conversation will be in that same message. You can even put it on individual within the MMS.

---------- Post Merged at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:11 PM ----------

In addition the OTHER party might be sending it back to you as an individual message.

pank

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Stock works just as well as the mentioned ones. When you send a message it will go as a MMS and ALL the conversation will be in that same message. You can even put it on individual within the MMS.

---------- Post Merged at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:11 PM ----------

In addition the OTHER party might be sending it back to you as an individual message.

The only problem I had with the stock app was the group messaging.... Sending to multiple people was never an issue, the issue was when anybody replied back it showed up as a new text and lost the group thread. Happened every single time but never happens with GO SMS. I was a bit surprised since the Rezound I came from treated group texts just like the iPhone does (must be the way HTC made the app in sense).

But, like others have said 3rd party apps work perfectly. I prefer GO SMS because it works perfectly and looks very nice too ;)

cjsmoove

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
If you check the group messaging it works like group messaging should its the replying party that bhosses to respond via group messaging. They can chosse to respond individuallyif they wanted but enjoy the Verizon one nontheless.

OnePalmAddict

Addicted 2 Mobile Gadgets
Jun 6, 2010
Visit site

there is likely a setting you have to change that says 'MMS Group Chat' or 'Convert to group chat' something along those lines - that should keep the messages in their own thread. At least there is in GO SMS (Under Send settings)

I have tried every setting possible with Handcent and still have the same behavior as described above. i.e., REPLIES to group threads must be downloaded manually in the recipients' individual replies before they show up in the actual thread.

I have used Handcent quite a bit on three different devices because I like the interface and all the options; however, it just seems that the most important things I want it to do bog it down or work kind of clunky. Anyone agree/disagree? Have any tips? (I am on Sprint, BTW, if that matters any.)

Also, a brief look as GoSMS didn't really excite me, but maybe I should look again. Can anyone convince why it's better than Handcent?

Thanks!
ME

schulzjt

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I found the answer on another forum(sorry). Look under Settings>Receive Message Settings> Make sure that "Auto Retrieve" and "Auto Download" are checked, That worked for me when I made those changes earlier this week. This is for the Handcent Group texting problem. I am also on Sprint.

OnePalmAddict

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I have always had the "Auto Retrieve" setting checked, but since the "Auto Download" setting refers to "Handcent MMS+" (whatever that is) under the heading of "Handcent Services," I never checked it. Doing so seems to be having the desired result, though. Thanks.

BTW, schulzjt, being a Sprint customer have you noticed any quirks/delays/problems using Handcent? Had/have any other texting issues?

schulzjt

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Android Addict: Glad that worked out for you... I have not noticed any other quirks as of yet. Are you experiencing some?

OnePalmAddict

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Android Addict: Glad that worked out for you... I have not noticed any other quirks as of yet. Are you experiencing some?

While some of the minor things escape me at the moment, one significant issue that I've experienced on three different devices now is, sending a pic often hangs up when sending via Handcent. However, I can go to the stock app and send the same pic almost instantaneously. Other times a standard SMS hangs, and simply copying and re-sending in Handcent works right away. Things like that totally waste time and are very frustrating, especially if I don't catch it right away and discover 30 minutes layer I have an unsent message just churning.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III

TheKISSarmy

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
My wife was ready to take back her Amaze when she found out she couldn't group text out of the box like on her Blackberry Messenger. When I told her about GroupMe, she was skeptical to say the least b/c two of the people she wanted to group text had iPhones. Well, they've been using it for about eight months and they LOVE it! They learn new features to use every day and have told everyone they know about GroupMe. Group texting is not my cup of tea, but if it's yours, GroupMe is an option.

OnePalmAddict

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, KISS Amry. Never heard if that app, but I'll have a look.

BTW, last night I had a group message in Handcent require me to download the individual messages before they would display in the thread. Go figure. :(

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III

Ouzo92

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I do not get the same results with my Galaxy. Every Group MMS I've sent always comes back as an individual message. I've checked every setting I can think of and can't find a "group MMS" option. Am I missing something?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz