Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Default Re: Group Text Messaging

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy5111 View Post
    Is there a setting for this? I send out group messages but they still come back individual. Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    Anyone?

Global Posts
    625 Global Posts

Is there a setting for this? I send out group messages but they still come back individual. Thanks

If you enabled sending group SMS, that's it. If its not coming back in group thread...maybe person on other end isn't using group SMS.

Quote Originally Posted by sloan View Post
    If you enabled sending group SMS, that's it. If its not coming back in group thread...maybe person on other end isn't using group SMS.

Ok. Thanks. Most everyone I know has iphones and when I send out a group message they always come back as individual. I guess the phones don'e play well together. I also seem to get everyone's individual responses to group texts since they must default to reply all.

If you usr the Verizon messages app, it works almost like iMessage. My friends are on iPhones as wekl. The only issue i hsve is when they use smilies, the smilues don't show for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog5000 View Post
    So after a few weeks using the Verizon Messages app, today I tried to copy a txt message from one SMS group thread and paste the contents into a message for another group message thread. When you click on the text to copy, there is no "copy" function. The closest thing I can find is something called "Save Quick Text". So I tried to "Save Quick Text", and then copy what I thought was the selected text content from the source message to the destination message. What I got was the last item in the buffer, which happened to be a Google search string that I had texted someone over a week ago in a separate thread.

So, should I be able to do a simple copy/paste from within Verizon Messages? Do other messaging apps have a basic copy/paste function? I know the default messaging app does and wouldn't mind going back to it but for the group text messaging problem.
    This is really the only issue I've had with the VZ app. Luckily for me, it's not a very common thing for me to need to do, but what I do is select "forward", then select the text from the new message and copy it, then just back out of the new message and discard it. The text is now on the clipboard for use in other threads.

Has anyone noticed either of these issue with the Verizon Messenger app?

One, it takes forever to delete group threads. Despite setting my MMS limit at 50, it got back up to 1500 in one thread again. You have to select delete group thread, and then wait. Eventually it will kick back saying the app is not responding. You have to click wait. Do this 10 more times and the messages are finally cleared out... Odd.

Second, when you get a new text. It always defaults to the first text. So you have to scroll all the way down again to get the newest.

Odd, no?

Im not having either of those issues

Global Posts
    625 Global Posts

Ok. Thanks. Most everyone I know has iphones and when I send out a group message they always come back as individual. I guess the phones don'e play well together. I also seem to get everyone's individual responses to group texts since they must default to reply all.
    Most of my group texts involves iphones users as well. I haven't had any issues with using GoSMS...sounds like you've hit a bug. Trying clearing the app cache and restarting the app...or even remove and reinstall it. You'll also be able to receive smilies from iphone users if you also install the emojii plugin.

Most of my group texts involves iphones users as well. I haven't had any issues with using GoSMS...sounds like you've hit a bug. Trying clearing the app cache and restarting the app...or even remove and reinstall it. You'll also be able to receive smilies from iphone users if you also install the emojii plugin.
    Wish I could figure this out. I send a message out to two people and they both respond and the messages come back in individual threads. The group message only has my outgoing message. I did reinstall and it didn't help. Ugh

Global Posts
    625 Global Posts

Wish I could figure this out. I send a message out to two people and they both respond and the messages come back in individual threads. The group message only has my outgoing message. I did reinstall and it didn't help. Ugh

The way it's suppose to work, you get a group message from someone...GoSMS will first see it as an individual message and alert you then covert it to MMS and alert you again. It now shows up as group message when you check. It happens fast.

So, from what you describe it seems you are having problem with the texts being coverted to MMS. Go into the stock messaging app and under MMS settings -> enable Auto retrieve. That might solve your issue.

Global Posts
    485 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Do you have to use Group chat on GoSMS or just add individual numbers when composing a new text?

The way it's suppose to work, you get a group message from someone...GoSMS will first see it as an individual message and alert you then covert it to MMS and alert you again. It now shows up as group message when you check. It happens fast.

So, from what you describe it seems you are having problem with the texts being coverted to MMS. Go into the stock messaging app and under MMS settings -> enable Auto retrieve. That might solve your issue.
    This was fine. Maybe I'm sending sms instead of mms. And what the heck does insert appellation mean?

Global Posts
    625 Global Posts

This was fine. Maybe I'm sending sms instead of mms. And what the heck does insert appellation mean?

I assumed you have the setting checked for sending mms...but attaching screenshot just to be sure...this is what you should have checked.

Attachment 44985

Quote Originally Posted by Dog5000 View Post
    So after a few weeks using the Verizon Messages app, today I tried to copy a txt message from one SMS group thread and paste the contents into a message for another group message thread. When you click on the text to copy, there is no "copy" function. The closest thing I can find is something called "Save Quick Text". So I tried to "Save Quick Text", and then copy what I thought was the selected text content from the source message to the destination message. What I got was the last item in the buffer, which happened to be a Google search string that I had texted someone over a week ago in a separate thread.

So, should I be able to do a simple copy/paste from within Verizon Messages? Do other messaging apps have a basic copy/paste function? I know the default messaging app does and wouldn't mind going back to it but for the group text messaging problem.
    I realized the other day that I'm remiss in not coming back to this and leaving anyone thinking that Verizon Messages does not support copy/paste. Got it figured out here
    "Somehow I got into a state where the Copy Message Text function was not displayed, and only the choice to select Save Quick Text. Must have been user error on my part as there is indeed a copy/paste feature. So, I'm staying with Verizon Messages for now, but would use the stock app if it had the group messages capability."
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...sms-app-3.html

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

As an aside, I am sure you are all familiar with the iPhone group chats are done with iMessage and that it works great for all users with am iPhone. As a droid user, it shows up as you having to download 7 different persons response, and you don't know which to reply to. Is there anyway to make it as simple and clear as if you were the standard iphpme user in the group?

To be honest that's a big reason I just switched to the iPhone. We couldn't figure out how to get around it. And my friends aren't downlosdig third party apps or anything. There needs to be one app on the droid end that can fix this mess.

Please, I really wanna switch back to android!!!!!!!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    625 Global Posts

Have you read this thread? People are getting this functionality on android using apps like Verizon messages or GoSMS.

I assumed you have the setting checked for sending mms...but attaching screenshot just to be sure...this is what you should have checked.

Attachment 44985
    Sloan can you repost a screen shot? I'm pretty sure I'm doing it correctly but messages are still coming back in individual threads. Thanks.

Global Posts
    625 Global Posts

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Group Text Messaging-uploadfromtaptalk1352392591486.jpg  
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

haha to be honest i ate a lot of ambien and was cruising through them half ed - i didn't know if they were grp chats between droids together or just specifically iphones. i meant iphone only with the imessage but i guess its the same thing. is there a lot of lag between downloading them since its technically a MMS? with my g-nex it took a while and a bunch failed/took forever. or is the speed seamless like it would be if you had imessage

Global Posts
    625 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sbalterman View Post
    haha to be honest i ate a lot of ambien and was cruising through them half ed - i didn't know if they were grp chats between droids together or just specifically iphones. i meant iphone only with the imessage but i guess its the same thing. is there a lot of lag between downloading them since its technically a MMS? with my g-nex it took a while and a bunch failed/took forever. or is the speed seamless like it would be if you had imessage
    Using GoSMS...I get about a 2 second delay while it converts the received message to MMS for display as group thread.

I started using handcent yesterday. Seems to be doing the trick. Will test it more tonight. I'm looking for something similar to iMessage

I'm officially a dumb a s s. I did not have this checked. I'll try it out. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    This is really the only issue I've had with the VZ app. Luckily for me, it's not a very common thing for me to need to do, but what I do is select "forward", then select the text from the new message and copy it, then just back out of the new message and discard it. The text is now on the clipboard for use in other threads.
    So, I may not be so wrong after all. Today I tried to do a copy/paste from a response that had the same sender respond prior in the group message thread. Notice in the screenshot that there is no copy/paste feature. This could be due to a bug in the VZ app?
    Attachment 45374

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenEagle06 View Post
    I started using handcent yesterday. Seems to be doing the trick. Will test it more tonight. I'm looking for something similar to iMessage
    So did it work ? I'm exchanging my iPhone 5 today for the galaxy and this is a bet important thing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by deputydog95 View Post
    Has anyone noticed either of these issue with the Verizon Messenger app?

One, it takes forever to delete group threads. Despite setting my MMS limit at 50, it got back up to 1500 in one thread again. You have to select delete group thread, and then wait. Eventually it will kick back saying the app is not responding. You have to click wait. Do this 10 more times and the messages are finally cleared out... Odd.

Second, when you get a new text. It always defaults to the first text. So you have to scroll all the way down again to get the newest.

Odd, no?
    I haven't seen the issues you mention even though I have one thread at over 1900 msgs. I did import some of those from the default app, so perhaps these are not factored in. Not had to delete a thread either, but the app not responding could be due to the app chugging or looping through each response to the thread and deleting responses sequentially rather than as a batch. Just a guestimate here. But will be more aware now and see if I notice in addition to my copy/paste issue.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast