Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 66
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Group Text Messaging

    Hi All,

    I was wondering if there is a way to get group text messages to show the same way they do on the iPhone (all in one message) as opposed to the phone separating each person's replies.
  2. #2  
    GatorPT's Avatar

    Posts
    181 Posts
    ROM
    Tranquil Ice , RazrX

    Default Re: Group Text Messaging

    I use handcent, and I am able to do what you are saying

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
  3. #3  
    smitty24's Avatar

    Posts
    144 Posts
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP or CM10

    Default Re: Group Text Messaging

    GoSMS Pro also works well for group messages. Stock doesnt.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Group Text Messaging

    When I tested the functionality of Handcent, I sent out a group text to 2 friends with iphones, when they both replied back to me their text arrived in separate threads, when I opened the threads I had to click on a "download" button, once I did that the message appeared in the original group thread that I had sent out. Is there a cleaner way to use the group texting feature without having to go into the new threads and download them? Is there a setting that I have missed somewhere? Thanks!
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Group Text Messaging

    Verizon also has their own messaging app (which isn't that bad really), that adds the group text capability. I've been using it since the Thunderbolt and actually like it. Could be a coincidence, but seems to have also fixed my "No SIM" issue....
    Thanked by:
    Androidmomma likes this.
  6. #6  
    OneForth's Avatar

    Posts
    25 Posts
    ROM
    SlimGen1.6 | GB 2.3.7

    Default Re: Group Text Messaging

    Yea I highlt recommend Go SMS because there is just so many features, u can do anything. Give it a try!

    Sent from my LG Phoenix P505 using Tapatalk
    Device(s): LG P505 || S.G.S I9000M
    Rom(s): CM10 || Helly Bean for I9000
    Kernel(s): Stock CM || Devil Kernel 1.6.1
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Group Text Messaging

    yup, GoSMS works for group SMS messages, but it's not perfect.
  8. #8  
    smitty24's Avatar

    Posts
    144 Posts
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP or CM10

    Default Re: Group Text Messaging

    Quote Originally Posted by schulzjt View Post
    When I tested the functionality of Handcent, I sent out a group text to 2 friends with iphones, when they both replied back to me their text arrived in separate threads, when I opened the threads I had to click on a "download" button, once I did that the message appeared in the original group thread that I had sent out. Is there a cleaner way to use the group texting feature without having to go into the new threads and download them? Is there a setting that I have missed somewhere? Thanks!
    there is likely a setting you have to change that says 'MMS Group Chat' or 'Convert to group chat' something along those lines - that should keep the messages in their own thread. At least there is in GO SMS (Under Send settings)
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Group Text Messaging

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremyg729 View Post
    Hi All,

    I was wondering if there is a way to get group text messages to show the same way they do on the iPhone (all in one message) as opposed to the phone separating each person's replies.
    Stock works just as well as the mentioned ones. When you send a message it will go as a MMS and ALL the conversation will be in that same message. You can even put it on individual within the MMS.

    ---------- Post Merged at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:11 PM ----------

    In addition the OTHER party might be sending it back to you as an individual message.
    SUCCESS IS MY ONLY OPTION...FAILURE IS NOT !!
  10. #10  
    pank's Avatar

    Posts
    122 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Group Text Messaging

    Quote Originally Posted by cjsmoove View Post
    Stock works just as well as the mentioned ones. When you send a message it will go as a MMS and ALL the conversation will be in that same message. You can even put it on individual within the MMS.

    ---------- Post Merged at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:11 PM ----------

    In addition the OTHER party might be sending it back to you as an individual message.
    The only problem I had with the stock app was the group messaging.... Sending to multiple people was never an issue, the issue was when anybody replied back it showed up as a new text and lost the group thread. Happened every single time but never happens with GO SMS. I was a bit surprised since the Rezound I came from treated group texts just like the iPhone does (must be the way HTC made the app in sense).

    But, like others have said 3rd party apps work perfectly. I prefer GO SMS because it works perfectly and looks very nice too
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: Group Text Messaging

    Thanks guys. Downloading the Verizon text app fixed the problem.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Group Text Messaging

    If you check the group messaging it works like group messaging should its the replying party that bhosses to respond via group messaging. They can chosse to respond individuallyif they wanted but enjoy the Verizon one nontheless.
    SUCCESS IS MY ONLY OPTION...FAILURE IS NOT !!
  13. #13  
    OnePalmAddict's Avatar
    Addicted 2 Mobile Gadgets

    Posts
    145 Posts
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts

    Default Re: Group Text Messaging

    Quote Originally Posted by schulzjt View Post
    When I tested the functionality of Handcent, I sent out a group text to 2 friends with iphones, when they both replied back to me their text arrived in separate threads, when I opened the threads I had to click on a "download" button, once I did that the message appeared in the original group thread that I had sent out. Is there a cleaner way to use the group texting feature without having to go into the new threads and download them? Is there a setting that I have missed somewhere? Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
    there is likely a setting you have to change that says 'MMS Group Chat' or 'Convert to group chat' something along those lines - that should keep the messages in their own thread. At least there is in GO SMS (Under Send settings)
    I have tried every setting possible with Handcent and still have the same behavior as described above. i.e., REPLIES to group threads must be downloaded manually in the recipients' individual replies before they show up in the actual thread.

    I have used Handcent quite a bit on three different devices because I like the interface and all the options; however, it just seems that the most important things I want it to do bog it down or work kind of clunky. Anyone agree/disagree? Have any tips? (I am on Sprint, BTW, if that matters any.)

    Also, a brief look as GoSMS didn't really excite me, but maybe I should look again. Can anyone convince why it's better than Handcent?

    Thanks!
    ME
    Mark A. Einersen
    Galaxy S5 « Galaxy S4 « Galaxy S3 « Epic Touch (Galaxy S2) « Galaxy Tab 10.1 « Evo 4G « Treo 755p « Treo 650 « Tungsten|T3 « Clie NR70 « m505 « Vx « Palm Pilot Pro « Zaurus ZR-3500 « Digital Diary SF-4000 & SF-1000
    (Wife: S5 « Nexus « S3 « Evo « Pixi « Centro « m105)
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Group Text Messaging

    I found the answer on another forum(sorry). Look under Settings>Receive Message Settings> Make sure that "Auto Retrieve" and "Auto Download" are checked, That worked for me when I made those changes earlier this week. This is for the Handcent Group texting problem. I am also on Sprint.
  15. #15  
    OnePalmAddict's Avatar
    Addicted 2 Mobile Gadgets

    Posts
    145 Posts
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts

    Default Re: Group Text Messaging

    I have always had the "Auto Retrieve" setting checked, but since the "Auto Download" setting refers to "Handcent MMS+" (whatever that is) under the heading of "Handcent Services," I never checked it. Doing so seems to be having the desired result, though. Thanks.

    BTW, schulzjt, being a Sprint customer have you noticed any quirks/delays/problems using Handcent? Had/have any other texting issues?
    Mark A. Einersen
    Galaxy S5 « Galaxy S4 « Galaxy S3 « Epic Touch (Galaxy S2) « Galaxy Tab 10.1 « Evo 4G « Treo 755p « Treo 650 « Tungsten|T3 « Clie NR70 « m505 « Vx « Palm Pilot Pro « Zaurus ZR-3500 « Digital Diary SF-4000 & SF-1000
    (Wife: S5 « Nexus « S3 « Evo « Pixi « Centro « m105)
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Group Text Messaging

    Android Addict: Glad that worked out for you... I have not noticed any other quirks as of yet. Are you experiencing some?
  17. #17  
    OnePalmAddict's Avatar
    Addicted 2 Mobile Gadgets

    Posts
    145 Posts
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts

    Default Re: Group Text Messaging

    Quote Originally Posted by schulzjt View Post
    Android Addict: Glad that worked out for you... I have not noticed any other quirks as of yet. Are you experiencing some?
    While some of the minor things escape me at the moment, one significant issue that I've experienced on three different devices now is, sending a pic often hangs up when sending via Handcent. However, I can go to the stock app and send the same pic almost instantaneously. Other times a standard SMS hangs, and simply copying and re-sending in Handcent works right away. Things like that totally waste time and are very frustrating, especially if I don't catch it right away and discover 30 minutes layer I have an unsent message just churning.

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3
    Mark A. Einersen
    Galaxy S5 « Galaxy S4 « Galaxy S3 « Epic Touch (Galaxy S2) « Galaxy Tab 10.1 « Evo 4G « Treo 755p « Treo 650 « Tungsten|T3 « Clie NR70 « m505 « Vx « Palm Pilot Pro « Zaurus ZR-3500 « Digital Diary SF-4000 & SF-1000
    (Wife: S5 « Nexus « S3 « Evo « Pixi « Centro « m105)
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Group Text Messaging

    My wife was ready to take back her Amaze when she found out she couldn't group text out of the box like on her Blackberry Messenger. When I told her about GroupMe, she was skeptical to say the least b/c two of the people she wanted to group text had iPhones. Well, they've been using it for about eight months and they LOVE it! They learn new features to use every day and have told everyone they know about GroupMe. Group texting is not my cup of tea, but if it's yours, GroupMe is an option.
  19. #19  
    OnePalmAddict's Avatar
    Addicted 2 Mobile Gadgets

    Posts
    145 Posts
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts

    Default Re: Group Text Messaging

    Thanks, KISS Amry. Never heard if that app, but I'll have a look.

    BTW, last night I had a group message in Handcent require me to download the individual messages before they would display in the thread. Go figure.

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3
    Mark A. Einersen
    Galaxy S5 « Galaxy S4 « Galaxy S3 « Epic Touch (Galaxy S2) « Galaxy Tab 10.1 « Evo 4G « Treo 755p « Treo 650 « Tungsten|T3 « Clie NR70 « m505 « Vx « Palm Pilot Pro « Zaurus ZR-3500 « Digital Diary SF-4000 & SF-1000
    (Wife: S5 « Nexus « S3 « Evo « Pixi « Centro « m105)
  20. #20  
    Ouzo92's Avatar

    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

    Default Re: Group Text Messaging

    I do not get the same results with my Galaxy. Every Group MMS I've sent always comes back as an individual message. I've checked every setting I can think of and can't find a "group MMS" option. Am I missing something?

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Group Text Messaging

    Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    Verizon also has their own messaging app (which isn't that bad really), that adds the group text capability. I've been using it since the Thunderbolt and actually like it. Could be a coincidence, but seems to have also fixed my "No SIM" issue....
    Glad you shared this. With others in my family on iPhones the individual message problem was becoming a real brain teaser each time a separate response came into the group thread - particularly when responses to the group thread were at random delayed time intervals with other more current individuals threads going on at the same time. I installed it just now and agree it doesn't look too bad. The installer process even imported all of my messages from the stock app and arranged them into individual and group messages sorted by date/time. Now time will tell if this was a good move.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Group Text Messaging

    Iphones are the problem. I have the worst time doing group texts with them. I have 4 other people we group text with on a daily basis.

    The only applies that works. Sort of. Is there Verizon messenger. It's laggy but it does work.

    One big flaw is that every time you get a new group text and you're not in the app, it goes all the way to the top and you can to run it down to the first message. Maybe I have a setting wrong but it's annoying.

    I wish ifails would go away. They do everything different :-)

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
  23. #23  
    sloan31's Avatar

    Posts
    485 Posts
    Global Posts
    618 Global Posts

    Default Re: Group Text Messaging

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mios View Post
    I do not get the same results with my Galaxy. Every Group MMS I've sent always comes back as an individual message. I've checked every setting I can think of and can't find a "group MMS" option. Am I missing something?

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    Same here with the stock app...good news is, works prefect with GoSMS

    EDIT: Actually...it does work correctly with the stock app. The problem I saw was due to someone else needing to enable group texts on their side.


    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    Last edited by sloan; 10-14-2012 at 09:41 AM.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Group Text Messaging

    Quote Originally Posted by Dog5000 View Post
    Glad you shared this. With others in my family on iPhones the individual message problem was becoming a real brain teaser each time a separate response came into the group thread - particularly when responses to the group thread were at random delayed time intervals with other more current individuals threads going on at the same time. I installed it just now and agree it doesn't look too bad. The installer process even imported all of my messages from the stock app and arranged them into individual and group messages sorted by date/time. Now time will tell if this was a good move.
    So after a few weeks using the Verizon Messages app, today I tried to copy a txt message from one SMS group thread and paste the contents into a message for another group message thread. When you click on the text to copy, there is no "copy" function. The closest thing I can find is something called "Save Quick Text". So I tried to "Save Quick Text", and then copy what I thought was the selected text content from the source message to the destination message. What I got was the last item in the buffer, which happened to be a Google search string that I had texted someone over a week ago in a separate thread.

    So, should I be able to do a simple copy/paste from within Verizon Messages? Do other messaging apps have a basic copy/paste function? I know the default messaging app does and wouldn't mind going back to it but for the group text messaging problem.
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Group Text Messaging

    Quote Originally Posted by pank View Post
    The only problem I had with the stock app was the group messaging.... Sending to multiple people was never an issue, the issue was when anybody replied back it showed up as a new text and lost the group thread. Happened every single time but never happens with GO SMS. I was a bit surprised since the Rezound I came from treated group texts just like the iPhone does (must be the way HTC made the app in sense).

    But, like others have said 3rd party apps work perfectly. I prefer GO SMS because it works perfectly and looks very nice too
    Is there a setting for this? I send out group messages but they still come back individual. Thanks

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How to get out of a group text message
    By laladollaz in forum Droid RAZR MAXX
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-10-2014, 01:50 PM
  2. Group Text Messaging for JB - ACHIEVED!
    By playa1257 in forum Verizon Galaxy Nexus Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 141
    Last Post: 12-27-2012, 06:56 AM
  3. Group Text Messaging
    By juanuby in forum Motorola Droid 3
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-26-2012, 09:57 PM
  4. Verizon Messaging for Group Text
    By lakaw in forum Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-13-2012, 05:09 AM
  5. SMS/MMS Group Text Messaging
    By playa1257 in forum Bionic Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-14-2011, 03:30 PM

Posting Permissions