Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default For those upset about the Universal Search being removed.

Maluuba is a pretty nice replacement app. Best I have found. Any other replacement apps, let us know.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...aluuba.android

Default Re: For those upset about the Universal Search being removed.

The other option is to root, unlock bootloader and ROM it with any of the great ROMS currently out there (i.e., Synergy, CleanROM, etc.). Universal search will remain and the phone will run even better than it does out of the box.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by rvhighway View Post
    The other option is to root, unlock bootloader and ROM it with any of the great ROMS currently out there (i.e., Synergy, CleanROM, etc.). Universal search will remain and the phone will run even better than it does out of the box.
    It's a shame yours doesn't run good enough out of the box! And there are many other options than rooting. Don't get me wrong I enjoy playing with my toys. Rooted and done my share of nightlies, but I don't see a reason to root and rom just to have Universal search. Silly to me. Especially as well as some of these new phones run.
    I just thought the Maluuba app was a great replacement for some of us to get by untill we get the official JB update.

The "rooting comment" was just another option being suggested. I didn't read anywhere saying "YOU MUST DO THIS".
    I appreciate any and all options and suggestions....doesn't mean I have to follow them.

Yup, it's just an option Leroy. Don't be so knee-jerk defensive or read anymore into the statement than what it is You aren't being attacked. The app might very well be a good one, but I don't know and I don't have a need to know. I don't need it because I kept the original ability from Google and in fact got the Google Now improvement from JB as a part of the ICS ROM.

All I've read about your Maluuba app is that the interface's look is too "windows-like" for some rather than looking like it was designed for ICS. Some people don't like it from the app reviews. It can be seen in the screen shots in the Play Store. Personally, I don't think I'd like the interface, either.

ROM'ing is just another option that works very well for many. This is especially true if they want to retain the unmodified search feature from Google, or add a better JB-related feature like Google Now, rather than download an app that doesn't look like it was designed for an Android phone.

Global Posts
    213 Global Posts

I never understood why people rooted their phones, flashed Roms etc...but after many years I finally did a few weeks back and don't know why I never did this sooner. I find myself rotting every old phone in my house as well as my wife's current phone. Makes a great phone even that much better and so many additional mods, themes etc its insane.

For someone on the fence about it, it is SO easy and what you get to do to your phone is so awesome.

Global Posts
    1,384 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Always changing

I bought a truck that ran great off the lot, I modified it to run BETTER. Why settle for less then you can have?
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I wasn't feeling attacked. And i didnt feel like i was trying to attack anyone. I have a rooted MAXX, Rezound, Acer a100, rooted my wife's N7, and rooted my Asus TF700 first day. I havent rooted mine or my sons yet because we plan on replacing with a 5 in within the next month or so. I was talking about an app replacement not root the device and go backwards in software to fix it. So my bad for asking for other app replacement or option. Everyone knows about root options but how many know of different apps.
    PS. If my S3 was rooted and on ICS i would still use Maluuba because it is much better app than universal search.

rooted, installed google now (manually, The quicksearchbox.apk was renamed so the autoinstalls wouldn't work) loving it.

Veveo just released a universal search app called vtap QuickSearch for Android phones, available from GooglePlay https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rtSearch&hl=en This app does most of what was removed from the Samsung Nexus and Galaxy S3, due to the Apple injunction.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by edh88 View Post
    Veveo just released a universal search app called vtap QuickSearch for Android phones, available from GooglePlay https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rtSearch&hl=en This app does most of what was removed from the Samsung Nexus and Galaxy S3, due to the Apple injunction.
    Vtap is also a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by leroybrute View Post
    I wasn't feeling attacked. And i didnt feel like i was trying to attack anyone. I have a rooted MAXX, Rezound, Acer a100, rooted my wife's N7, and rooted my Asus TF700 first day. I havent rooted mine or my sons yet because we plan on replacing with a 5 in within the next month or so. I was talking about an app replacement not root the device and go backwards in software to fix it. So my bad for asking for other app replacement or option. Everyone knows about root options but how many know of different apps.
    PS. If my S3 was rooted and on ICS i would still use Maluuba because it is much better app than universal search.

How does rooting make you go backwards in software?

Quote Originally Posted by edh88 View Post
    I've actually had this app for a few weeks now (maybe more). Love it! The biggest issue is the battery drain with the initial indexing. After that battery use is minimal.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG1488 View Post
    How does rooting make you go backwards in software?
    Rooting and flashing back to old software.

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

Download the 'Aurora Global Search' app from Google Play or 'Orange Search' app for google. They both function as local search apps on your Jelly Bean or Ice Cream Sandwich (4 or 4.1).
    You can return FULL universal search to Android by opening "Google Now" search --then settings- then 'phone search' option check off the option to search the downloaded "Aurora Global" and you have returned FULL universal search.
    izzydoesit likes this.

Thank you! None of the apks work any longer, at least the ones I tried. I downloaded Aurora Global Search and then in the Google Search settings only checked off the downloaded app (Aurora Global Search). It doesn't function quite as well as the former universal search function, but it does the trick! Better than any of the other workarounds that I could find as of 4-20-13. Now if only I could get the multi-window functionality on my phone I'd be a happy girl ;-).