Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Checking for updates! Service unavailable

I'm getting the error too. I have no idea what is causing this. I was able to complete the most recent update. Oddly, when I go to the update software menu, I see messages about the previous update installing successfully.

I wonder if this is a backend issue or if phones really need to be replaced?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

It has to be a backend issue with Verizon servers
    Why would everyone need a replacement phone ?

ant lee, that was kind of what I was thinking after trying all the suggested fixes and factory reset. Perhaps when everybody is checking the Verizon servers sense that the phone has the latest software and the service will become available again when there is actually a OTA to be pushed out. My phone always said that the software was up to date before so I will keep my fingers crossed. I hope the last update didn't break some peoples ability to update their phone or Verizon is going to be replacing a lot of them.

I don't feel the replacement will do anything but I will update after I activate it anyway.

---------- Post Merged at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:48 PM ----------

Also... not sure if it's just Verizon... in another thread where was an AT&T user with same problem.

Just activated new replacement phone and my "check for software update" is working on new phone. So... I done know why others stopped on last phone but it is working for now on replacement phone.

Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I installed the update a couple of weeks ago ...after reading this post I tried the update ...guess what ...got the same message ! Anyone have a fix?

Did you install the new update on it yet?
    I think maybe the new update breaks the ota or changes it but its weird cuz after I updated it the ota worked for awhile till just few days ago it stopped working

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by ant lee View Post
    Did you install the new update on it yet?
    I think maybe the new update breaks the ota or changes it but its weird cuz after I updated it the ota worked for awhile till just few days ago it stopped working
    I'm pretty sure this was my experience as well.

Quote Originally Posted by perrine219 View Post
    Just activated new replacement phone and my "check for software update" is working on new phone. So... I done know why others stopped on last phone but it is working for now on replacement phone.
    Yea for now until you update ur new phone to the update then it will stop working

The new replacement phone had the new update already installed on the phone. On last phone... it worked for a few days after last update. Not sure what's going on but hope they fix it or they will need replacing lots of phones. I'm happy mines works g now.

Maybe I will call tech support so they can tap into my phone with the new "Remote View" feature so they can see what the problem is. Oh wait ..... they probably aren't familiar with this feature LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by imhipper View Post
    Maybe I will call tech support so they can tap into my phone with the new "Remote View" feature so they can see what the problem is. Oh wait ..... they probably aren't familiar with this feature LOL.
    Haha yea you should see what they say we have to get this issue fixed

It's Verizon servers. It crashed two days ago and they are desperately trying to keep a lid on it. See-

I have verizon and ALL my folders disappeared.

---------- Post Merged at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:01 PM ----------

It's a HUGE Verizon server crash.

See-
    http://news.yahoo.com/verizon-email-down-follows-major-bank-hacks-170300453.html
    Banned

ROM
    Stock for once.

Mine still checks for updates, so it's not the dreaded verizon server crash causing it...

Add me to the ever-growing list. My GS3 last updated on Sept 15th at 5pm.

I've been getting the service unavailable message for almost a week (since before the mentioned server crash). I've tried all of the suggested fixes short of replacing the sim.

I guess we'll all be waiting to see what happens when they get around to releasing Jelly Bean...

Relax people, there's not even an update (for most of you). Same thing happened with the Thunderbolt I just came from. The server goes in an out. If an update is released and you keep getting this message and can't get an update, then I would worry.

People on the Thunderbolt forum used to try and speculate that when the server was unavailable, it meant Verizon was loading a new update on it.

Add myself to the list. Updated Sept. 29th and haven't been able to check for updates since. Have tried all recommended solutions on this thread and still no fix. Gotta be Verizon I'm thinking

ROM
    Stock

There is a thread about this over at the Verizon community forums as well. The story is the same - several people have spoken with Verizon customer support about it, but no one seems to know the solution.

This is starting to get a little irksome. At least there isn't a current update rolling out, but I suspect the good townsfolk will raise pitchforks if they're still getting this error when an update is released!

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

Well I am back from Verizon and they put a new sim card in and problem solved. Something must of corrputed the card from the last update on some sim cards.

New sim card worked for me too!

I'd been running CleanROM 2.5. I'd already taken the OTA a week or so ago when I upgraded to this ROM. I decided to go back to stock and reinstall and it wouldn't allow the OTA any longer. (I'd done this previous a couple times and all was good.)

A trip into VZW today for a new SIM and as soon as it was activated, the OTA came up immediately. I think I'll stay on stock for a while til' it's figured out what is going on with SIM cards getting corrupted or whatnot.

Unless of course there is a way to root the G7 build and then unroot the G7 build if needed without having to flash back to the original stock rom. I'm fine on the locked bootloader. I'd only love to disable a few more Verizon apps that it won't let me disable and mod the notification bar a bit.

ROM
    Stock

Pleased to report that swapping the sim card fixed this problem for me as well.

Last edited by jerethi; 10-07-2012 at 08:10 PM.

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts

New SIM worked for me to

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Just back from Verizon. New SIM worked here as well.

I'm a noob so IMHO. If updates aren't available maybe Verizon has control over this service and just opens it when updates are out. We have 2 GS3. Just 1 month old and both say service unavailable. I think I'll wait to hear about an update and when I don't get it is when I'll panick. That's also when VZW will have a real big problem that they need to fix asap. Sounds like from reading all the above they'll have lots of people pounding on their door. Again I'm a noob. Thanks for these forums I've learned a lot.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast