Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Default Re: Checking for updates! Service unavailable

^Nah, I don't think so. Immediately before we installed the new SIM card I got the Service Unavailable message. Immediately after the new SIM card was activated the message I got was "No new software update available."

If it was a server issue or on their end, nothing should have changed.

Global Posts
    4,557 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Kayger12 View Post
    ^Nah, I don't think so. Immediately before we installed the new SIM card I got the Service Unavailable message. Immediately after the new SIM card was activated the message I got was "No new software update available."

If it was a server issue or on their end, nothing should have changed.
    True that. I am having the same issue and it's just started. I know it worked before the last update I got but now I get the same error. I'll try another SIM card - I mean it won't hurt anything to try it.

Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock Galaxy S3

I believe this is an issue with sim cards and the way they are recognized by the phone/Verizon's network. Plenty of people have reported this and it only seems to happen on the Verizon version of the GS3.

They've released 2 updates (G7 and HD) to try and fix the sim issues (which also cause the 'no sim' error) and it still isn't fixed yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ECrispy View Post
    I believe this is an issue with sim cards and the way they are recognized by the phone/Verizon's network. Plenty of people have reported this and it only seems to happen on the Verizon version of the GS3.

They've released 2 updates (G7 and HD) to try and fix the sim issues (which also cause the 'no sim' error) and it still isn't fixed yet.
    That's another interesting observation. Several of my coworkers who have a GS3 (but not all) also have the Service Unavailable problem. Each person who had/has the Service Unavailable problem also had the No Sim service dropout problem prior to the G7 update. The people who didn't have the No Sim problem don't have the Service Unavailable issue as far as we can tell.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by ECrispy View Post
    Interesting. What is the HD update?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Kayger12 View Post
    The people who didn't have the No Sim problem don't have the Service Unavailable issue as far as we can tell.
    I was not experiencing the no sim error, but did experience the service unavailable error after I received the G7 update.

Quote Originally Posted by jerethi View Post
    I was not experiencing the no sim error, but did experience the service unavailable error after I received the G7 update.

Well, so much for that theory.

Good info.

Quote Originally Posted by jerethi View Post
    Kayger12, I had the same exact experinace. Stopped into Verizon store and got a new SIM and problem is solved. Gal helping me nor the resident expert on the floor knew anything about this problem.

I too was getting the Service Unavailable error. Stopped by Verizon, and as stated above, the Techs had never heard of the problem. Unfortunately, they wouldn't install new SIM card unless they did a factory reset 1st. I REALLY didn't want to do that, but I know the Techs must follow protocol established by Verizon Support. Sooo, after factory reset didn't fix the problem, a new SIM card was installed and VOILA, problem fixed.

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

I went to the Verizon Store as I have the same issue with my S3. Advised after research my troubleshooting steps and they went on their "internal VZW forum" and agreed with my diagnosis of new sim needed, fixed the issue, OTA update is now up to date.

Global Posts
    4,557 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I got a new SIM yesterday and all is well with the updating.

Got new SIM today and all is well.

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chadrob30 View Post
    Got new SIM today and all is well.
    Guess I will do the same.

Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Just got back from VZW store ...they replaced my SIM card, no questions asked. Just waiting for 3G service to return to my phone...hope it is not an issue!

It took about 15 minutes for the phone to reinitialize and find the network, etc and then it was fine.

So a new SIM card is the only way to fix this issue? What caused this problem in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by CDEFG... View Post
    So a new SIM card is the only way to fix this issue? What caused this problem in the first place?
    From my personal experience a new SIM card was the only fix. I tried the suggested fixes mentioned in earlier posts including several factory resets to no avail.
    I don't know if anybody knows what caused the problem as Verizon phone support or in store employees were not aware of this problem, but I can tell you that I didnt have this issue till after I took the last update VRALG7.

I just went to the Verizon store and the rep wouldn't replace the card. She said I'm getting 4G service so they won't swap it out. I explained what the issue was and she said they won't swap it out because there's no update available. So I asked if in a month let's say, JB is released will they replace it. She said yes. So stupid.

Anyway I called customer care a d they are sending a replacement

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyshinta View Post
    I just went to the Verizon store and the rep wouldn't replace the card.
    Very lame on her part !!! Maybe you should of directed her to this forum and thread so she could of read about the problem and solution and learned something. Then again if she wasn't willing to replace your SIM then she probably didn't want to bother with learning something today.

She didn't even bring up my account. I told her I spoke to customer care before and there was a note in my account to replace the sim. She said it's policy not to replace it if there isn't a perceived problem.

Let's not worry about keeping the customer happy. If it's work its not worth it for them.

hey. I just tried that.. Now it works.. Thanks man
    rule the air.

Global Posts
    1,190 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hotkoko View Post
    hey. I just tried that.. Now it works.. Thanks man
    what did you do?

Global Posts
    4,557 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyshinta View Post
    She didn't even bring up my account. I told her I spoke to customer care before and there was a note in my account to replace the sim. She said it's policy not to replace it if there isn't a perceived problem.

Let's not worry about keeping the customer happy. If it's work its not worth it for them.
    I'd say it's time to deal with someone else. Eff her in the neck.

Okay weird. I've had the service unavailable since Sept 29 and I just checked for fun and I'm back in business with no update available message. No sim card swap out at all.

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts

I'm getting this problem too... Do I need to go in for a new SIM card??

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast