Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) does not recognize Samsung Galaxy SIII

clrux

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
First post here, hoping some of you guys can help out. I've been searching the forums all morning for answers, trying suggestions, but nothing seems to work.

I've been an Apple iPhone user since it first came out, but the UI feels old and I was really liking the Galaxy SIII. That being said I opted to make the switch yesterday. So far, I'm really enjoying the freshness of the Android OS (this device is currently running Ice Cream Sandwich) and I'm really excited to get configured for daily use (music, good battery, etc.)

Last night I was trying to add my music, but discovered that my MacBook Pro (mid-2011, running OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion) doesn't recognize the device when it's plugged in via the USB cable. I did some research trying to see if others had experienced the issue, and they had. I found some recommendations for enabling USB Debugging, which I did. After that I tried using both MCP and TCP (?) options for media and camera, but both of those didn't work either. I also tried those options with Android File Transfer, but it only said that no Android device was connected. I tried rebooting both my machine and the phone, both proving fruitless.

I read about DoubleTwist this morning, which looks promising. I'll have to wait until tomorrow evening to give it a shot though.

Also, I'd like to root the device and install 4.1 Jelly Bean (if that's possible?) and get rid of all the Samsung/Verizon bloatware. That would require the USB though, if I'm not mistaken.

So, my question(s) to all of you are these:
1. How do I get my machine to recognize my device via USB? Again, I'm on a Mac running OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion on the Verizon's version of the Galaxy SIII which currently has ICS.
2. What's the best method of syncing music and playlists, either via USB or wireless?
3. Is there a way to root the device using a Mac and if so, is it possible to get a clean copy of Jelly Bean (or another recommended image?) that will still work with the Verizon "necessities"?
4. Finally, I did a full charge last night (phone has been on battery for about 3 hours now) but the battery is already down to 84% (with very little usage) - what are some techniques you guys use to conserve?

Thanks in advance.

clrux

clrux

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Yes. It always says "No Android device connected" though, despite using USB Debugging and trying both MCP and TCP (media and camera) options.

I'm wondering if it's a fault of OS X 10.8 (security stuff) or with the device itself?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I have no idea. I haven't upgraded to Mountain Lion yet so I can't personally troubleshoot that for you. Did you try an assortment of cables?

clrux

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
No. I'll have to see if I've got any other mini-USB to USB cables around the house. I guess it could be a faulty cable too.

Do you happen to have advice on rooting and music? Or are both of those a moot point until I figure out the USB issue?

---------- Post Merged at 11:35 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:27 AM ----------

A buddy here at work said I probably need a USB driver to have the Mac recognize the phone. I'm going to give that a shot first and see if that works. If so, then I should be able to figure out the rest on my own. But I won't turn down solid advice from you guys.

rexxman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't answer your specific question, but, how about using a microSD card? Copy music files from your MAC to the card then insert the card in the S3. Assumes you can use a microSD card in the MAC. Perhaps not a long term solution, but......

clrux

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't answer your specific question, but, how about using a microSD card? Copy music files from your MAC to the card then insert the card in the S3. Assumes you can use a microSD card in the MAC. Perhaps not a long term solution, but......

This would certainly be the easiest way. My Mac does have an SD slot, so I'd need to find one of those little converters - not a problem though. This would also allow me to keep music separate from the OS space.

---------- Post Merged at 11:58 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:57 AM ----------

Mac OS will not mount MCP, and AFT probably doesn't work with S3 (works fine on ML with Nexus). There may be some other third party hack to do this, but why not just setup a SMB share and use something like ES File Explorer to transfer over wifi.

I'd like to say that I wish to avoid third-party hacks as much as possible, but then I realize that rooting to install another Image is the same thing :) So, I'll do some research on ES File Explorer and see what it's about.

bassjo

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Just use Kies it works great. I have last years iMac. No problems and it will sync address book, iCal, notes, email, itunes pics.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
First post here, hoping some of you guys can help out. I've been searching the forums all morning for answers, trying suggestions, but nothing seems to work.

I've been an Apple iPhone user since it first came out, but the UI feels old and I was really liking the Galaxy SIII. That being said I opted to make the switch yesterday. So far, I'm really enjoying the freshness of the Android OS (this device is currently running Ice Cream Sandwich) and I'm really excited to get configured for daily use (music, good battery, etc.)

Last night I was trying to add my music, but discovered that my MacBook Pro (mid-2011, running OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion) doesn't recognize the device when it's plugged in via the USB cable. I did some research trying to see if others had experienced the issue, and they had. I found some recommendations for enabling USB Debugging, which I did. After that I tried using both MCP and TCP (?) options for media and camera, but both of those didn't work either. I also tried those options with Android File Transfer, but it only said that no Android device was connected. I tried rebooting both my machine and the phone, both proving fruitless.

I read about DoubleTwist this morning, which looks promising. I'll have to wait until tomorrow evening to give it a shot though.

Also, I'd like to root the device and install 4.1 Jelly Bean (if that's possible?) and get rid of all the Samsung/Verizon bloatware. That would require the USB though, if I'm not mistaken.

So, my question(s) to all of you are these:
1. How do I get my machine to recognize my device via USB? Again, I'm on a Mac running OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion on the Verizon's version of the Galaxy SIII which currently has ICS. Install Kies Make sure to select MTP
2. What's the best method of syncing music and playlists, either via USB or wireless? Install Kies
3. Is there a way to root the device using a Mac and if so, is it possible to get a clean copy of Jelly Bean (or another recommended image?) that will still work with the Verizon "necessities"? Use Casual for Verizon
4. Finally, I did a full charge last night (phone has been on battery for about 3 hours now) but the battery is already down to 84% (with very little usage) - what are some techniques you guys use to conserve? I will leave this up to you. Do a search here on the forums plenty of info and advice, too long to list.

Thanks in advance.

clrux

Last edited:

tonez

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
i think its a problem with 10.8.2. before i updated, i was able to use android file transfer on 10.8.1, now i cant connect with android file transfer but Adam Outler's casual is able to recognize the phone.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Android File Transfer always gets mixed reviews, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I've heard the best are Kies or AirDroid as mentioned above.

Tarpit_Carnivore

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
AFT works but you have to put the phone in Camera mode when connected. It's honestly pretty crappy IMO.

Kies wont install on 10.8 so until they update it I would use AirDroid or Wifi Explorer Pro.

ashishb

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Having the same problem connecting my S3 with a mac running mountain lion. Have heard that it's either an Apple thing or a Samsung thing. Anyway, I also couldn't connect with AFT. I was swapping out micro sd cards and wanted simply to move data from 1 card to the other and ended up just copying card to card without connecting to the mac. Will take a look at AirDroid too.

Kies doesn't work with mountain lion yet, but there's an app that allows it to work. Will see if I can find the link, but I learned about it here on Android Central so there should be a thread somewhere that mentiones the Kies workaround with mountain lion.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I think the Android File Transfer needs to be updated or something. I know that when I hook up my S3 to my MacBook Air, it doesn't recognize it. I generally use Air Droid now for my file transfer needs.

It's a horrible application. I avoid it at all costs :).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34