does OTA fix GPS issues? (or copy/paste issue?)

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Hello, i have had bad gps issues.

I went for a 2.5 hour long run the other day (about 16 miles), and none of my race apps could find the GPS signal until like, the last mile or so. Ridiculous. My droid Incredible had awesome GPS, I never lost signal like that, or had trouble finding signal.

It's not consistent, though. Sometimes it finds the signal coming out of my house, sometimes, it doesn't...

Does anybody know if the OTA fixes this problem or not?

(also, does the OTA fix the Copy and Paste issue? My phone cannot copy and paste anymore apparently...)
I see what the update DOES do, but does it do anything else?

Thanks...

rockhopperGS3

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
hey, how do i do that? i have all 3 checked off, vzw, standalone gps, and google location services... is that what you mean?

I think it is, I use all three as well. I have noticed my gps can be iffy as well using it for auto directions and as a gps tracker/training device when mountain biking. Im hoping a soon to come ota patch will fix these issues along with the crappy reception issues.

Mastaking

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I use Maps all of the time. It is my biggest source of used data and my most used app and I consider myself a power user. Maybe I am just lucky but I haven't had any GPS issues at all that I can remember with this phone.

I constantly drive out to clients in areas I have never been and am dependent on the Maps app, I do approximately 15,000 miles a year.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I use Maps all of the time. It is my biggest source of used data and my most used app and I consider myself a power user. Maybe I am just lucky but I haven't had any GPS issues at all that I can remember with this phone.

I constantly drive out to clients in areas I have never been and am dependent on the Maps app, I do approximately 15,000 miles a year.

I only had issues when CM10 first came out (they weren't using the binaries yet). I haven't had any issues before or since flashing anything official.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Central Forums

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Hello, i have had bad gps issues.

I went for a 2.5 hour long run the other day (about 16 miles), and none of my race apps could find the GPS signal until like, the last mile or so. Ridiculous. My droid Incredible had awesome GPS, I never lost signal like that, or had trouble finding signal.

It's not consistent, though. Sometimes it finds the signal coming out of my house, sometimes, it doesn't...

Does anybody know if the OTA fixes this problem or not?

(also, does the OTA fix the Copy and Paste issue? My phone cannot copy and paste anymore apparently...)
I see what the update DOES do, but does it do anything else?

Thanks...
Just wondering if your phone is in your pocket or outside?

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
my phone, when running, is on a Spibelt, which is thin and on the front of my body. I have held it in my hands, and this doesn't seem to make it any better, either.

does anyone know if the OTA fixes the gps or copy/paste issue?

afraid i'm going to have to root in order to save my files, and then have to factory reset... or just factory reset and lose my game data, etc.

question, since everything is on my local sdcard, when i factory reset, everything will be lost, right? I guess i'll have to transfer everything onto my computer? that kinda stinks, when it was on the external sd, i just left it alone and it was fine.

---------- Post Merged at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:27 PM ----------

thing is, whenever i have used maps in the car, it works fine. when i hold my phone to use maps to try and "jump start" my gps system before a run, it takes a long time... sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

iluvmay

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I have the same occurance of the gps issue...that one hasn't been fixed, but I think patience is the only repair there...the copy/paste thing really hurt me so i did the online chat with a samsung tech person...that netted me a half an hour of describing the issue and the obligatory factory reset prompt...i wasn't about to do that...(i'm tired of that being their first option...) so i read about rooting and using SQLite editor...to fix the clipboard...Done Done and Done...rooting was ten minutes tops...sqlite editor was pretty easy too..i've also read about an app that helps with the gps calibration...tried that but the results could only be defined as varied...(sorry) good luck.

lv2bsilly

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I had the GPS issue as well. I tried a hard reset before I ever got the update and it didn't fix it. Didn't fix the GPS issue after the update either. I had them send me a warranty replacement, tried it out and GPS locked within a few seconds and I was inside my house. I haven't had any issues with copy and paste.

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
btw, i called verizon and they said that Samsung says that the newest OTA will fix these problems. hope so. if not, they'll send me a replacement phone...

i don't want to lose universal search, but i guess i can always root and take care of it.

DomL25

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed since the OTA my GPS has gotten worse. Was doing a race yesterday with a friend and we both had RunKeeper going. His was able to get full GPS lock on a Samsung Nexus and mine constantly told me poor reception. We were standing right next to each other, both holding our phones in our hands. Both had full LTE service. I have all 3 location settings checked. During the 14k run my gps lost location a few times, while his was rock solid. Mine added about 1/3 a mile to the total distance, and you can see where in the map it screwed up.

The one thing I've noticed is that GPS doesn't work well or at all in poor cell reception areas. If you have Airplane mode on (or turn off data/wifi), and turn on gps it will never lock. I use an app called "GPS Test" that shows you all the satellites your phone can see. With data disabled it shows all the satellites, but does not "lock" onto any of them. As soon as you enable data it will lock, but at least my phone has poor reception on all of them.

In theory, you shouldn't need data connection to get a GPS lock. There has to be something in the S/W that requires this.

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
That stinks. I Hope this gets resolved. My Incredible was awesome in GPS.

Well, I did the OTA, did but no fixes for either GPS or copy/paste.

Next? Rooting? I dunno. I think they are going to send me me a replacement...

muiriddin

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed since the OTA my GPS has gotten worse. .

I just tested mine and can confirm that locking my location in my test location (inside the 5th floor of an office building) does take longer after the OTA update. I then reset the GPS state using the GPS Status app, downloaded the GPS data asisst that it offers and tried again and locking was quicker, but still slower than pre OTA. I did have mobile data on for the testing, will need to look into what DomL25 said above about location locking taking longer with data off.

I never turn on VZW location services, which may also have a bearing on the test, but do have Standalone GPS and Google Location Services turned on.

Roffles

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I went for an 11 mile, 8 hour hike last weekend with tons of switchbacks and ~1,000ft variation in elevation and my phone recorded every bit of the journey. I run Google My Tracks to record my progress and I've never had a problem.

Food for thought:
Have you tried alternative tracking apps to see if it's a problem with the app and not the phone? Are you jogging thru urban canyons or natural canyons that are cutting off and/or blocking your gps signal?

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I would get a replacement. It might be hardware so no matter what you do software wise, you might still have the same issues.

Kamen

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
For the Copy/Paste issue, I don't think the OTA update corrected that. There are two ways you can fix it though, however some people have stated the problem came back after using the first option.

Option 1
Factory Restore your phone.

Option 2 (Requires Root)
1. Boot Recovery (CWM) > Advanced > Wipe Cache
2. Reboot Phone > Root Explorer > Delete /data/clipbord/*
3. Reboot Recovery Again > Advanced > Fix Permissions
4. Reboot Phone
5. Issue Resolved