Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    1%er

Default First Phone Drop How long? I think I hold the record.

How long did you own your SG3 before you dropped it the first time? These things are slippery!

When my phone arived from amazon, I unboxed it and took the back off to add the SIM, Battery, and Sandisk card. As I was in the process my son came home (he has an iPhone). I wanted to show him how nice it looked so I was holding it on the palm of my hand as I sat at my computer. He was impressed and said it looked great, and then for some unknown reason he did a light swipe across the screen. I guess his finger hit the edge and it slid off my palm and crashed against my UPS then hit the floor.

I told him I would be killing him if there was the slightest scratch or damage. I picked it up, looked at it very closely and no marks, cracks, or scratches and once I got the battery in and fired up it worked fine so he got to live.

I am not anal about a small scratch or scuff but c'mon man, I definitely would like to keep it in as new condition for at least a few days...

ROM
    CM10 M1

Default Re: First Phone Drop How long? I think I hold the record.

After about two weeks of having it I pulled it out of my pocket in the mall...slipped out of my hand and crashed hard on the granite floor then sliding another 3 feet. Needless to say there wasn't a scratch on it!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    341 Global Posts

So far so good. I have had mine for about a month now and so far have not dropped this phone. Knocks on wood.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Really funny that you posted this. Late last night, I dropped mine for the first time and I've had it since launch.

I was getting ready for bed, and was turning my lights out for the night. I was using my GS3 as a flashlight (by using the screen, not the led flash), and was holding it by the Samsung flip case flap. Well that thing is pretty slippery, and since I had other things in my hand and was fumbling around in the dark, the phone slipped right out of my hand, landing face down on my hardwood floor.

It seemed to happen in slow motion, and I was expecting the worst when I picked it up. But knock on wood (ha ha) everything was okay.

I've been a fan of using my phone "naked" for quite some time...but had to break down and get a case for my S3. Not only is it slippery (especially when you're a clutzy as I am!), but the screen is so large I really wanted to make sure I was using extra protection. Not complaining though, I like the case I picked out, and the phone still rocks.

(and...[knock on wood]...no substantial accidents yet).
    TheSickAndTwisted

Global Posts
    709 Global Posts
    ROM
    EOS 4 (forever)

This phone I have not dropped. Not even on the carpet. My Bionic took 10 months before I dropped it the first time. It ended up being the only time it would ever fall as the impact created a dead phone. Well, parts were dead anyway.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    1%er

Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    I've been a fan of using my phone "naked" for quite some time...but had to break down and get a case for my S3. Not only is it slippery (especially when you're a clutzy as I am!), but the screen is so large I really wanted to make sure I was using extra protection. Not complaining though, I like the case I picked out, and the phone still rocks.

(and...[knock on wood]...no substantial accidents yet).
    I always have liked a "Naked" phone and planned on keeping the SG3 case-less. I never used a case with my EVO and it was fine for two year and only has a few tiny scuffs.. But the SG3 really is really slippery and thin in the hand so I have a case-mate on the way.

I notice it is especially slippery when it has been handled all day and has a nice coat of finger grease on it. (even when I am not feasting on Cheetos or KFC). I think they would have been wise to put some kind of textured back on it. Perhaps someone will come up with a rubberized snap-on back replacement, if so, I'll probably ditch the case.

I was texting a friend when someone walked by me and knocked my phone out of my hands, probably from about chest high, so probably 4.5 feet. bounced a couple times on the concrete floor and kicked once by this person. I freaked out! luckily I have a mobi skin case on it and there was no damage whatsoever. without the case I think it would've at least been scratched up quite a bit, so the case is definitely worth it. it was $5 at the time from this site.

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

A long time ago, I dropped my LG enV onto the carpet near the 2nd floor rail banister at my house. It landed with enough force to bounce off the carpet and through the banister rails and fell to the 1st floor hard tile below (probably a 15 foot drop). Surprisingly, it didn't do any damage at all. That was over 5 years ago and I haven't had a drop with any phone since then. I'm just really careful and don't bother with cases or screen protectors. I dedicate my left pants pocket to my phone and never put anything else in that pocket with it. I never set the phone on my lap because I know it will easily slide off with the slick plastic battery cover. Also, I never use my phone in busy places because I don't want to temp a thief or have some careless person knock it out of my hand. And finally, nobody touches my phone but me unless I'm using it with someone indoors and sitting down. My gs3 has slid off my couch cushion a few times though because the back of the phone is slippery on cloth surfaces -- about a 2'-0 drop onto soft carpet -- nothing to be bothered about. I have completely average sized hands I don't see the challenge of holding this phone. It's not slippery for me.

I hang out with one girl in particular who compulsively pulls her iPhone in-and-out of her pocket to make social status updates on twitter, facebook and instagram -- so often that it's rather pathetic and I doubt she's even actually hanging out and enjoying the occasion on the same level as the rest of us. At any rate... I've seen her drop and crack her iPhone twice and drop it without damaging it several other times. So my reasoning is, if you are compulsively pulling your phone in and out of your pocket, you increase your chances of dropping it.