Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Stock

Default Would you use Verison's Anti-Virus app?

While at an Andriod Class at the Verison store, they recommended not using any antivirus software as any software app hogs resources and slows down the phone. (I was a bit sceptical about this as I identified three other things they said that I knew were wrong.) Now I am getting emails from Verison saying, you should try our new Anti Virus App! What about you all? Are you using;
    1. Verison's Anti-Virus App,
    2. Another Anti-Virus App, or
    3. NO antivirus App?

Default Re: Would you use Verison's Anti-Virus app?

I use Norton. I have been using them for years on my computers, which is why I chose it for my GS3.
    Current Devices:
    OnePlus One
    LG G3 - AT&T
    Motorola Moto X - unlocked GSM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8 - LTE AT&T
    Apple iPad Mini Retina - 32GB LTE

I would recommend you use something, but I would not recommend Norton. It's a resource hog.... There are better options
    sparesr4sissies and GC736 like this.

Global Posts
    289 Global Posts

None

ROM
    Stock

I use Lookout. It's basic but also lightweight enough for me. If you don't do anything risky like downloading pirated apps, you shouldn't have to worry about viruses anyways.

Lookout is good for me. Longtime user. No resource hog.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    BAMA74 likes this.

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts

I used Norton for years and watched my pc performance go into the tanker. Then Norton missed a couple of viruses and it was time to leave them. I switched to kaspersky and it works better, uses less resources, updates 3 times more often and has great support. So my android is also protected by them. So my vote would be check out kaspersky and I wish you Good luck with your search.

Sent with my DROID RAZR Maxx using Tapatalk 2.
    ;-)
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,099 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for once.

None...Tried them all...I agree with the poster who said if you stay away from pirated apps, you'll be ok. All the others are variants of the computer apps that infect gmail, outlook, etc. They don't run on Android phones...yet. I'd run AVG, or Kaspersky if I ran one. Norton missed a nasty one on my laptop once that ate my boot sector.

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10

none. I don't work for the nsa

Sent from my Full AOSP on Toro-VZW using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    2,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Clean ROM

Default Would you use Verison's Anti-Virus app?

Avast is my personal preference

Avast on all my PCs and smartphones. No issues.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

I wouldn't worry about virii too much on Android since the A/V apps themselves don't have access to system files, so if those got infected the software wouldn't do any good. Waste of money IMO, almost entirely. Really what are the chances.... unless you're visiting strange sites... that's your biz.

Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted Stock

None! Although, I do use LBE privacy to limit apps.. I will never and have never ever got a virus on any device ever... I'm wise enough to not download everything/click on everything/use open wifi/etc/etc...
    My history: Ericsson 628, 768, T10, T28 World, Siemens S12, Nokia 8290, 3390, Motorola C330 , V70, Ericsson T68i, Motorola v100, Accompli 009, Sony Ericsson P800, T300, T610, O2 XDA II, BlackBerry 6210, Sanyo SCP5300, SCP8100, VM4500, PM8200, MM7400, MM8300, MM9000, BlackBerry 7750, Kyocera KX18, MM-A900, SCP8400, Pearl 8130, Tour 9630, Torch 9850, Samsung Epic 4G, HTC Design 4G, Nook Tablet, S3, S5, Samsung Nook, Note 4. CO's: Omnipoint, Voicestream, T-Mobile, (Amp'd for short time) Sprint, Verizon

Global Posts
    1,285 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Oh heck no. I hate AV on anything and don't use it on any of my gadgets. The best anti virus is one called "common sense" but I don't think it's in the Play Store.
    Current: Motorola Nexus 6, HTC Nexus 9, ASUS Nexus 7 (2013), Moto 360

Standby:
    Motorola Moto X (2013), Samsung Galaxy S3, LG Nexus 4, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Nexus One, ASUS Nexus 7 (2012), Motorola Xoom
    lesorkim likes this.

Avast. While I'm not sure if there is any real benefit for an AV on a phone (because your brain would be the best defense anyhow), Avast has a bunch of nice features built in that the others don't have, it's light on resources and best of all.... It's Freeeeeeeeee!

I get free TrendMicro because I use it on my PC, but Avast just is lighter and the extra things they throw in (best location tracking for a phone that I've used, a firewall, etc.) with such a little footprint (doesn't impact my battery at all) that it uses makes it a no brainer.

No anti-virus app on my S3 or my Nexus 7 or my Samsung Galaxy 10.1... My PC's are a different story but I don't see the point on Android phones. I buy all my apps legally from either the Play store or Amazon.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

ROM
    Stock

Thanks to all of you for the variety of opinions and considerations. Based on what I am hearing, I will probably go with no A/V until things get hairy out there. I'm only using legit apps, and usually only those that have high consumer usage. Further, I am not visiting high-risk internet sites.

I always use an A/V (Kaspersky) on my PC, even though I use common sense. Still got infected one time when I just was not paying attention. So no matter how hard you try, we're all human!! Now, for the Mobile, I've not used one yet, but when I decide to, I'll go with Kaspersky. Like so many others, Norton, as well as McAfee is just resource hogs and when Norton missed a virus on one of the work laptops I used to manage, that was it for me! Switched us to Kaspersky and I've never looked back!

Quote Originally Posted by brucedbr View Post
    I always use an A/V (Kaspersky) on my PC, even though I use common sense. Still got infected one time when I just was not paying attention. So no matter how hard you try, we're all human!! Now, for the Mobile, I've not used one yet, but when I decide to, I'll go with Kaspersky. Like so many others, Norton, as well as McAfee is just resource hogs and when Norton missed a virus on one of the work laptops I used to manage, that was it for me! Switched us to Kaspersky and I've never looked back!
    I have been using Kaspersky on my computer for years now due to the fact McAfee> Norton both failed me .I have never had a problem since using Kaspersky on my pc.(actually used to be on their website to help others)

However I not really sure how good their mobile product is yet .I use Lookout Premium not for viruis protection or really for malware,but for the other features it offers.I just pay on a month to month rate that gives me the flexablity to discontinue easier if I decide to. I usually have the security scan turned off,for grins sometimes I run a scan.

I personally use Avast. It has great features for when you lose your phone while protecting your phone and doesn't suck up your battery. Lookout is also another good option.

Norton is MUCH MUCH improved for the last 2 or 3 years. Certainly on PC's it's foot print is very minimal, uses little to no resources and is a great product. It used to be a resource hog but most that claim that now are living in the past or just making that statement based on what they may have heard.

I dont use anything on my S3 I may play with one once in a while just toscan my phone and as usual find that I have no viruses/malware. Common sense is KEY

Quote Originally Posted by rlatjs17 View Post
    I personally use Avast. It has great features for when you lose your phone while protecting your phone and doesn't suck up your battery. Lookout is also another good option.
    Howdy! I am new to the forum and SERIOUSLY technologically challenged! I recently began getting notifications for Virus Protection on my Verizon 4G Thunderbolt. I go online and use email and text, of course....but have never used a virus app on a cel phone. I don't look up anything "crazy" - just the very basics. I have heard various reviews as to which to use, all the way to using none at all. A Verizon customer service gal told me to remove battery ( SIM card optional, once cel is off; then hold down the ON/OFF button for 30 seconds - which apparently resets the phones inner bs, in a nut shell and prevents many glitches. She said to do it once a week only. BUT should I get an anti-virus app onto the cel? Do not know what to do - and like I said, tech stuff is NOT my forte! Any opinions/info greatly appreciated!! THANKS! Tara

Global Posts
    1,022 Global Posts

Use McAfee or he will kill u too :-P

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8 on Verizon 12G

No. Just get your apps from the play store or other trusted sources - like the vendors site. I don't know if there are apps available from sites like C-Net, but that's a good example of a place to avoid. Do all the rest of the intelligent things, like don't click on links embedded in emails unless it's something you requested, and don't get involved in any Nigerian prince scams. The AV vendors would love you to think that you NEED their software, but you don't. You just need to be smart.

Quote Originally Posted by DT81 View Post
    Use McAfee or he will kill u too :-P
    That guy seems to have gone off the deep end.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast