Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    rule the air.

Global Posts
    1,128 Global Posts

Default Blank screen

My wife has been having this issue for a few weeks now where she will pick up the phone and the screen will stay black. Button presses do nothing. The only thing that fixes it is a battery pull. We did perform the latest software update recently. My S3 does not have this blank screen problem.

Any help is appreciated!

Default Re: Blank screen

I have had the same thing popping up on mine. Usually it is associated with me turning the screen back on when it times out/turns off. Almost always it is when I have the browser open. Any correlation with what your wife is seeing? Only fix I have found so far is the battery pull too. I'm running stock, with apex launcher, stock browser too.

Not that I helped much but misery does love company? :rolleyes:

Edit: it ONLY happens with the browser. I'm downloading chrome tonight to see if it changes. Will update as well.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Android Central Forums
    Last edited by drmaf894c; 09-30-2012 at 11:15 PM.
    Thanked by 2:

Stop using the stock browser and use Chrome instead. See if the problem goes away.
    Thanked by:

Default Blank screen

This happened to me once within the first couple weeks of me getting the phone. I have been using chrome and the problem has never reappeared.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - AT&T
    Motorola Moto X - unlocked GSM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8 - LTE AT&T
    Apple iPad Mini Retina - 32GB LTE
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock unrooted

Are you using battery saver?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    4G LTE Thunderbolt
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    rule the air.

Global Posts
    1,128 Global Posts

No battery saver, but unlike myself who uses Chrome, she uses the stock browser. I'm running a little test leaving her browser open and letting it go black. Will see if the problem returns and I will post back here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bond32 View Post
    Are you using battery saver?

No I'm not. Don't know about the op but I have only used it twice out of curiosity only.

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  
    rule the air.

Global Posts
    1,128 Global Posts

Looks like Chrome may have saved it. No issues from her since the switch to the new browser.

When I get home, I'm gonna swap sim cards and tame over hers. I'm better at this stuff than her if I need to do a warranty swap.

is her phone stock or rooted?
    Droid Incredible
    Rooted with Unrevoked 3.21
    S-Off
    Skyraider Vanilla Rom RC3
    KingxKernal #5/#5 Falling Up
    Linpack: 38.66
    Quadrant: 1710 <--- now thats incredible

Quote Originally Posted by jneusch View Post
    This happened to me once within the first couple weeks of me getting the phone. I have been using chrome and the problem has never reappeared.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Weird. Happened to me twice in a row one night. I'm still using stock browser and haven't seen it again. I was worried it was the battery. Then I thought it was an app but since it hasn't happened again (about three weeks) I have no idea what caused it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  
    rule the air.

Global Posts
    1,128 Global Posts

they're both stock

Update on my end as well. Switched to chrome and haven't seen the issue since then. All I have to say about chrome... Why didn't I switch before! Great browser with nice features... Will be getting it for my computer too! So I can take full advantage.

13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  
    rule the air.

Global Posts
    1,128 Global Posts

Same here, I've been using her phone for the past few days...zero issues.
    Thanked by:
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  
    rule the air.

Global Posts
    1,128 Global Posts

Well the issue hit me today. Its been about 2 weeks, but happened out of nowhere. Been using Chrome and it still occurred. I may have to get it replaced.

I still haven't had it come back. That is a bummer it came back for you. Let me know if a replacement fixes it. Hope you don't have to. It's such a pain to get a replacement phone.

Good luck.

Hey all. I wanted to post that I also have been having this issue. My phone was full stock. I swapped it out with a replacement that was sent as a "like new replacement," my guess is that it was a refurbished phone, and the replacement had this issue within 48 hours of me getting it. I've now swapped a second time, and I'm praying that it doesn't happen again. I switched to chrome today to try to have the phone behave better.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  
    rule the air.

Global Posts
    1,128 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by medeski7 View Post
    Hey all. I wanted to post that I also have been having this issue. My phone was full stock. I swapped it out with a replacement that was sent as a "like new replacement," my guess is that it was a refurbished phone, and the replacement had this issue within 48 hours of me getting it. I've now swapped a second time, and I'm praying that it doesn't happen again. I switched to chrome today to try to have the phone behave better.
    this is why i refuse to switch mine out right now. i have a gut feeling this has to do with the G7 update...waiting it out for HE

I have the same issue... I'm convinced now it's the stock browser.. Using Chrome now. Thank you!

Global Posts
    341 Global Posts

I don't think it matters whether you use stock or chrome browser. I have tried both and the problem occurs with either. It doesn't happen often enough for me to do a warranty exchange so I am not sweating it. It seems to happen on my phone when I am on the internet or using an app that accesses the internet. The phone rings, I finish the call without any issues, but when I try to end the call, the screen is black and a battery pull is the only solution. I need to test it out to see if I can duplicate the issue for sure. Will advise my test results.

I have the same problem. Have had phone for 9 days. Has frozen 4 times requiring battery pull. All stock. Very few apps.

Has anyone found the real solution?

Global Posts
    341 Global Posts

I have heard that if you switch to the Chrome browser don't have the problem anymore. I can say for sure that is NOT the case. I am running Chrome exclusively and still have the problem.

I still don't have the issue since I switched to the Chrome browser. I have tested going back to the stock browser and it does freeze the phone again when the screen times out. I haven't seen it happen with mine except when I use the stock browser.

I have tried with many other apps but the only one on my end is still the stock browser.

(could I have said stock browser more in that post? )

Global Posts
    341 Global Posts

I went into the settings for the stock browser and did a force stop. It has only been a couple of days, but haven't seen the problem again. Hopefully all is well.

Hi guys I'm experiencing the same problem with my s3 I just install chrome and I'll see if the problem goes away. It did not ask me though if I wanted to use chrome as my new browser should it?
    anyways I can remove the stock google on the phone and possibly completely eliminate the problem all together?? or simply just not use it anymore.. Stupid question where do I go to turn off the instant updates so the phone won't download any updates anymore? I'd rather put all the chances on my side so it won't lock on me anymore. I think with google chrome and the instant updates
    tuned off it shouldn't crash anymore. I'm not to found of having updates downloaded automatically either on the phone or my pc then after everything crashes and you wonder why they keep sending you updates and sometimes it makes everything crashes

Global Posts
    341 Global Posts

Just using Chrome didn't make my problem go away completely. What did it for me is I went in to the settings, applications and then running programs and did a FORCE STOP on the browser to close it completely. After doing this, I have not experienced any blank screen issues since and that has been over a month.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast