I535VRLG7 Issues

landshark32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Hey all, long time listener......

Just upgraded myself and my wife to the S3... They were awesome until they updated. Now they're constantly scanning on wifi and reconnecting. In addition we frequently need to reboot to get data once we leave home.

We have to be on wifi at home. The last two phones - DX and D2G didn't get data at home either.

We're stock at the moment. I was going to wait a bit before I rooted since I'm actually enjoying the stock setup.

I've run out of tricks. Tried forgetting wifi etc. Any thoughts? I don't think it's hardware related since both are doing it

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I am no expert when it comes to radios so I hope someone else will chime in as well.

Obviously, it sounds like you have issues with getting good service at your home since the problem with no data was happening to your old devices too. I'm not sure why you would have to reboot to get data to connect though. Have you tried to put the phones into airplane mode for a few seconds? I would try that before rebooting. Even if that works it still doesn't make a lot of sense.

The only thing I can think of is that your phone is picking up a data roaming signal when you leave the house and you have the phone set up to deny data roaming. You can find this in settings -> more settings -> mobile networks -> global data roaming access. Maybe try selecting "allow access for all trip" just to see if that works. If the VZ data signal is very weak or nonexistent and there is another provider's CDMA/LTE signal that could be the reason.

My other thought would be to have VZ change out your SIM cards. Please report back what you find out so that others can help and we can all learn.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Hey all, long time listener......

Just upgraded myself and my wife to the S3... They were awesome until they updated. Now they're constantly scanning on wifi and reconnecting. In addition we frequently need to reboot to get data once we leave home.

We have to be on wifi at home. The last two phones - DX and D2G didn't get data at home either.

We're stock at the moment. I was going to wait a bit before I rooted since I'm actually enjoying the stock setup.

I've run out of tricks. Tried forgetting wifi etc. Any thoughts? I don't think it's hardware related since both are doing it

If this is not a connectivity issue (which you should check your wifi connections and possibly reboot your modem/router) then you have a couple options...

Over the past 2 weeks, I have seen a lot of issues with this OTA affecting the performance and functionality of the device. If you have tried everything possible to stop this from happening (toggle wifi, delete wifi connections and set up again, battery pull) then I would say that you have three options...

1. If you want to stay stock, do a factory restore which you will loose all your data but it will give you a fresh start.
2. Sticking with stock, you can go to Verizon and have them try to fix it (which I would highly doubt they will) and you will probably get a warranty replacement.
3. Root your device to stock image and go from there. Even if you want a plan stock ROM that will function almost identical to stock there are a couple out there, Synergy and CleanROM from my personal experience.

landshark32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
First off thanks to both of you for jumping in.

The wifi seems okay with the laptops and sorry - the wife's school supplied ipad. I will try rebooting the router though.

We had absolutely no issues out of the box so the factory reset may do nicely. I may try that since the phones are about 15 days old. I like that timing btw.

As far as our location Verizon is the only carrier that has even fair service. We're in a shallow valley on a hill - 50 feet away and slightly up the hill I get 4g. In the house 1x or maybe 3g. It's just physics on that part. I understand that reality. A phone radio doesn't fix that.

No wifi at work, so I'll need to find one at lunch to see if it's all wifi or just mine.

I will post details as I go.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm still on VRLF2, so FWIW when I'm in the Settings -> Wi-Fi screen, every 7 seconds or so it shows that it's 'scanning', but it doesn't drop/restore the current connection. I'm with the previous poster that suggested a factory reset.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

landshark32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Question then - I see the scanning every 7 seconds or so as well. The difference is that I get the connected message every time it reconnects. Not to mention it was murder on my battery.

I'm going to try factory reset when I get home.

I will likely root my phone over the weekend. I said it on the DX and it holds true here - good thing the devs have it together.

Thanks again to all for the input!!

landshark32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Ok. Tried a few things.

When I got home all devices were a ok on the router except the S3. I decided to play guinea pig on my phone. I reset my phone to stock. When I was back up and running the problem was still there

Definitely something with the router / phone connection. I can't put my finger on it as the laptops, iPad, and printer were all fine. I reset the router and both S3s connected. All is well now.

I also see scanning every 7 - 10 seconds in the wifi configuration, but now I don't get disconnected.

Moral of the story - try the router first.

Thanks for the help. Next up root.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma