Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #26  

Global Posts
    173 Global Posts

Default Re: Verizon Billing - over billing for data - heads up!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackpearrl View Post
    I'm sorry for the noob question and please by all means, direct me to the appropriate thread if this has already been reviewed somewhere, but how does one track how much data is used via WiFi vs. the network?
    I have explained everything right in this thread from my first post to subsequent posts. There is nothing on the phone or My Verizon Mobile app that auto-magically tells you the delta but it's quite easy to differentiate. Your S3 tells you ALL DATA via the Data Usage function (see above posts) and you can include all mobile data or limit to specific apps, functions, etc and set the time period to measure before resetting back to zero. I have set mine up to measure all mobile data, starting on the first day of my bill cycle and ending on the last day. I have set mine to warn me at 1.5 GB and stop all mobile data at 1.8 GB. Then all I do is look at my My Verizon Mobile App and if something seems wonky, I look at my Data Usage function and compare, contrast, subtract... It needs to be a reasonable expectation of reality. What prompted this post was Verizon telling me that I used more wireless mobile data (on my bill) than both my phone used in it's entirety (all mobile data both wifi and wireless) for the billing cycle and what My Verizon Mobile was telling me. So your phone measures everything you want, My Verizon Mobile tells you what they have given you via wireless, and the difference should be what you have used via WiFi.

Got it. Thanks for the breakdown.
    Samsung Galaxy S3 on Verizon
    Banned

ROM
    Stock for once.

Quote Originally Posted by oldAGE View Post
    I have explained everything right in this thread from my first post to subsequent posts. There is nothing on the phone or My Verizon Mobile app that auto-magically tells you the delta but it's quite easy to differentiate. Your S3 tells you ALL DATA via the Data Usage function (see above posts) and you can include all mobile data or limit to specific apps, functions, etc and set the time period to measure before resetting back to zero. I have set mine up to measure all mobile data, starting on the first day of my bill cycle and ending on the last day. I have set mine to warn me at 1.5 GB and stop all mobile data at 1.8 GB. Then all I do is look at my My Verizon Mobile App and if something seems wonky, I look at my Data Usage function and compare, contrast, subtract... It needs to be a reasonable expectation of reality. What prompted this post was Verizon telling me that I used more wireless mobile data (on my bill) than both my phone used in it's entirety (all mobile data both wifi and wireless) for the billing cycle and what My Verizon Mobile was telling me. So your phone measures everything you want, My Verizon Mobile tells you what they have given you via wireless, and the difference should be what you have used via WiFi.
    Unless I have something different with a newer phone, the S3 tells you your wireless data AND WiFi data used. there's a tab to switch back and forth between the 2. Your mobile data should be very close to Verizon's.

Quote Originally Posted by fofjjsr View Post
    Wifi has no affect on your app on your phone showing data usages. By default when wifi comes on Verizon's data goes off, there by making it so no data information is being sent to and from Verizon's network. Wifi is in no way figured into your data totals. As far as the upgrade fees you are complaining about, every other company charges those, and they charge more just an fyi. Some special cases they are waived or promotions may happen. When you change your bill in the middle of a billing cycle (or anytime during one for that matter) you get a prorated data amount, not the full 2gb. So I guess my question for the person saying they got overages after changing during an active billing cycle, exactly how far into the billing cycle are you.
    I was halfway through the billing cycle. I had unlimited data for 2 weeks, than 2 GB prorated to 1 GB for the last 2 weeks. They said I went over 1 GB in less than a week the first week I had the phone, but there was no evidence that I could see on my bill, they wouldn't give me a credit, although I asked about it twice with 2 different customer service reps. I had never even gotten close to using 1 GB before, with my previous smart phones. And I didn't use this phone that much that week; but I didn't know very much about it either. Maybe they charged me a bunch to transfer my data from my previous phone; although that never has been a problem before. I did delete the auto back-up to Cloud, as that could have contributed to the data usage.

I've noticed from time to time on my S3 if WiFi was set to turn off when asleep it would get stuck and never turn back on. The switch is toggled to the on position, but the phone doesn't see any access points. Perhaps this is happening to you guys?

On another note, while I rarely ever use more then 2GB of data a month, there are time I use 5GB and up. I could in theory deal with a capped plan. However like someone already said, I will never switch away from unlimited unless forced (or some insanely different data tiers came out say 10GB for $20).

ROM
    CM7&9

Quote Originally Posted by Blackpearrl View Post
    I'm sorry for the noob question and please by all means, direct me to the appropriate thread if this has already been reviewed somewhere, but how does one track how much data is used via WiFi vs. the network? ...
    I have explained everything right in this thread from my first post to subsequent posts. There is nothing on the phone or My Verizon Mobile app that auto-magically tells you the delta but it's quite easy to differentiate...
    Quote Originally Posted by HalizDad View Post
    Unless I have something different with a newer phone, the S3 tells you your wireless data AND WiFi data used. there's a tab to switch back and forth between the 2. Your mobile data should be very close to Verizon's.
    Actually, you have to specifically check "Show Wi-Fi usage" in the settings of the Data usage view in order to see that split between Mobile and Wi-Fi usage levels, by default it shows combined. Once you have them split you can set alert levels & limits or not for each as desired.
    Last edited by unlmtdRW; 10-10-2012 at 10:48 AM. Reason: wanted to add other quotes
    Thanked by:
    Banned

ROM
    Stock for once.

Quote Originally Posted by unlmtdRW View Post
    Actually, you have to specifically check "Show Wi-Fi usage" in the settings of the Data usage view in order to see that split between Mobile and Wi-Fi usage levels, by default it shows combined. Once you have them split you can set alert levels & limits or not for each as desired.
    Which is specifically the tab I mentioned.

Verizon Billing - over billing for data - heads up!-2012-10-10-10.26.17.png

ROM
    CM7&9

Which is specifically the tab I mentioned.
    Right, and I was not seeing the split tabs you mentioned so I poked around in the Data usage app a bit more and "discovered" that I could see the split by selecting "show wi-fi usage" in settings... just thought I'd post a comment for anyone else who may not know how to obtain the same view (BUT I wasn't explicit in my post to indicate that. Sorry my post lacked clarity -- didn't want or mean to imply anything about your post).
    Last edited by unlmtdRW; 10-10-2012 at 11:36 AM. Reason: clarification
    Banned

ROM
    Stock for once.

Right, and I was not seeing the split tabs you mentioned so I poked around in the Data usage app a bit more and "discovered" that I could see the split by selecting "show wi-fi usage" in settings... just thought I'd post a comment for anyone else who may not know how to obtain the same view (BUT I wasn't explicit in my post to indicate that. Sorry my post lacked clarity -- didn't want or mean to imply anything about your post).
    Yet another weird thing about my phone...I didn't have to click "show wifi usage" or anything my screen is exactly wysiwyg....Now I see what you're saying though...Mine was pre-selected...I never touched it. That's why I was wondering what the OP was talking about.

ROM
    CM7&9

Yet another weird thing about my phone...I didn't have to click "show wifi usage" or anything my screen is exactly wysiwyg....
    Yep... no worries, just another thing to demonstrate that with such a tremendously customizable environment like Android, we cannot assume anything about what another poster might be seeing or not seeing on their phone.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #36  

Global Posts
    173 Global Posts

As it pertains to the split function... heads up, at least on my variant (latest VZW ICS build), note that you cannot set the WiFi split date range to match your billing cycle. There does not seem to be a CHANGE CYCLE setting in the dates field. It looks like you have to use the sliders to filter for the dates in a billing range. Odd programmatic flaw or.... 'put favorite conspiracy theory here.' That's why I said there was no auto-magic way to get a quick snap shot. Mea Culpa. Good info to help all the noobs and other users to tweak their devices. Don't let VZW off the hook. If you have a problem, let it be their problem.

ROM
    CM7&9

As it pertains to the split function... heads up, at least on my variant (latest VZW ICS build), note that you cannot set the WiFi split date range to match your billing cycle. There does not seem to be a CHANGE CYCLE setting in the dates field. It looks like you have to use the sliders to filter for the dates in a billing range....
    @oldAGE... On the Wi-Fi tab, try unchecking the "Alert me about data usage", then the "Change cycle" option should be visible in the "Data usage cycle" drop-down (may need to toggle between Mobile and Wi-Fi for it to refresh). At least it does this on my VZW build (baseband version I535VRLG7, build number IMM76D.I535VRALG7). Arrgggh!... Scratch that... it doesn't seem to "stick"/save it that way! It keeps returning to past 30 days from current date timeframe.
    Thanked by:
    oldAGE likes this.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #38  

Global Posts
    173 Global Posts

@oldAGE... On the Wi-Fi tab, try unchecking the "Alert me about data usage", then the "Change cycle" option should be visible in the "Data usage cycle" drop-down (may need to toggle between Mobile and Wi-Fi for it to refresh). At least it does this on my VZW build (baseband version I535VRLG7, build number IMM76D.I535VRALG7). Arrgggh!... Scratch that... it doesn't seem to "stick"/save it that way! It keeps returning to past 30 days from current date timeframe.
    Sorry, I had to laugh at the last line. I do the same thing. Why should you expect that a solution should work consistently with other sub-functions in the main function? We silly consumers expect too much common sense. Sometimes I think these programmers worked at Microsoft (try doing the same function within their Office Products - some work, some don't, some have entirely different command/control sets, and some do entirely different things even though they are in the same Program Family).

Thanks for trying
    unlmtdRW likes this.
    Android4life

Sorry... you are dead wrong or you completely misunderstood what I wrote. The S3 has a Data Usage function (Settings->Wireless and network->Data Usage) that records all data to/from the device (irrespective of whether it's the LTE radio or 802.11 radio when you set it up that way) and it's pretty accurate down to a few percentage points. Secondly, as you write, My Verizon Mobile app "turns off" when WiFi is being used. So, the issue here - without being precise but to illuminate my point... If my Data Usage function of my S3 states that within my billing cycle, I used 250MB of data, and My Verizon Mobile App reports that I have used 50 MB of data, how can my Billing Report indicate that I have used 1.2 GB of data? The only thing that Verizon can bill me for is 50MB of data that traversed the wireless LTE network. The other 200MB was across WiFi.

As others have written here it seems like VZW has a product conversion problem in their billing software. I suspect that those two old "unlimited" lines will clear in the next bill cycle and I will see the expected $9.99 line and $30 data charges only. I am glad that other folks have looked and complained. As others have written here, I believe they are right that 2/3 of all consumers will pay based on the bottom line and never check their detail. Especially during the times when the bill is pro-rated and there are a thousand lines of charges and credits across different dates and multiple hand-set accounts. I think it's time for a class-action. Stay tuned....
    You need to look into it more. My statement was more along the lines you won't get charged for it. Does it get tracked? Actually it does. But when I mean turned off, I meant your little widget stops. That is why it is different from your total. The widget only shows what you will be billed for. The phone tracks everything. I love how people start with all the "class action" stuff. If you are not in contract, Verizon has the right to drop you if they want too. Just like you can do the same to them. Your unlimited is technically only good for the length of your contract. Once that is over, all bets are off. Pro-ration has also been around forever. There are ways around pro ration, like if you switch plans ask if it can be back dated, or future dated. Bam, no pro ration.

My second question is, when you look at your bill (not 100% sure if it is on the bill), or when you call in to CS, there are two sections. Data used, and data billed. It is also known that the tracker on the phone isn't 100% accurate. The widget on the phone needs to be manually updated, which I am sure you are already aware of.
    Android4life

Also recently there have been errors with the warning messages going out when they should not be. If you get the message either check your usage via my Verizon or call in to tech support. Been a few cases of data not being reported correctly. Which can be fixed.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts

Pries it away. No doubt. It's their grand plan! I went and bought a GS3 from someone who couldn't pay the bills so I could keep my unlimited. Certainly more than the $200, but it will pay back once my wife gets on a real phone and now that 4G is wide spread, the new HD media coming down the wireless pipeline is going to push data consumption through the roof. This isn't priced in yet. Just wait another 24 months, everyone is going to be mad as hell.
    Banned

ROM
    Stock for once.

WiFi is for HD Media...I won't be mad.

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

As far back as I can remember Verizon has always over billed for data

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net

WiFi is for HD Media...I won't be mad.
    unlimited Web is for HD, too
    It all comes from the same fiber optic cable

<<<Sent from my Rooted (soon to be) 64+ gig Rezound!>>>
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #45  

Global Posts
    173 Global Posts

Again... I believe that posters need to read and not skim... First off, I understand the differences and the nuances of being billed for actuals, rollups, apps, widgets, and all the things that are designed to both make you aware of what you are using and what you should be billed for. I also understand that nothing is perfect. What I don't expect is precision. I do expect accuracy. If you read the post, I believe I mentioned that I was billed for over 20 times my My Verizon Mobile app data report and my My Verizon onlline report (and both reported nearly the same number - Online was more precise) and nearly 5 times my phone's Data Usage tool.
    Secondly, there is no widget on the phone. That's been dead for months. I use the integrated My Verizon Mobile app. That app talks to the My Verizon Manager for the account. On any given day, it could be 24-36 hours in arrears. What I have been able to tell, it's usually accurate (in synch with My Verizon) within four hours. I compare all three on a regular basis -- My Verizon Mobile app, My Verizon Online, and my S3 Data Usage tool. All do a pretty good job and are relatively accurate to each other. I did some controls when I first got the phone to see how well they worked. Plus or minus 3%. This is why I am confident about my post.
    So when my phone says "Used 250MB in this period," My Verizon Mobile says "Used 50MB in this period," and My Verizon says "Used 50MB in this period," I expect to receive a Data Used portion of my bill of 50MB and therefore, be exceedingly under my contract rate. But when I receive a usage report of 1.2GB (1,200MB), I get suspicious (and then write these types of posts).
    Finally, I also understand the law and contracts. I am not throwing up threats... that was a bit of sarcasm. But if this continues, becomes a trend for my bill, or becomes a trend across the users on this board, then you bet, we should form a class. Verizon can drop me anytime they want. $6600 of contract revenue is what they stand to lose from me. I am OK with that.

Go to the verizon website and check the detailed data usage for your last months bill it should show daily how much data you used. I had to do it once when they overbilled me for my first month with this phone and didnt tell me exactly how much data I was prorated, so I was refunded my $10 fee. Many people go over usage and have to pay the fee but it is usually expected, if you are having fees every month you need to call them and find out what the problem is, because I dont see nearly enough people complaining to think about a class action. Ive never had a problem working it out with them when I ask nicely and say what they want to hear.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #47  

Global Posts
    173 Global Posts

Oh my god... read the thread. Not only do I manage my data on the My Verizon App, I manage it on My Verizon on verizonwireless.com and on my S3 Data Usage function. I know exactly how much data I use on my phone and across WiFi and wireless. I have calculated the validity of the Data Usage function and determined that on average, it is accurate to about +-3% which is far below (better) than Ethernet packet overhead on a wired connection.

Here are today's stats: Today, 25 Oct - my billing cycle ends. For the month of my billing cycle, as of this writing (see time stamp) My Verizon App reports 152MB of data used (this is wireless). A recent VZW software update (on or around 16 Oct due to VZW needing to replace my SIM) wiped my Data Usage settings (nice job VZW) shows that I have used 164Mb of total data since 16 Oct. Let's quintuple that and then round up and call it 1GB of total data used per the phone - a gross over estimation according to VZWs report of my account usage in 2012. According to My Verizon (online), my wireless data usage is 155.65MB. So, it breaks down that I have sent around 155MB over the air to VZW and 845MB over the air to 802.11 devices. On my bill, other than what I consume today as the last day of my billing cycle, I suspect that Verizon will report that I used 160-170MB of data. As I have a tiered plan, my data usage costs should be $0.

Now to address your statement about calling them and finding out what the problem is. I did do that and they credited me for all costs associated with data (but billed me over $60 for expected credits which is a completely different story) and they reported that this was an isolated event and there is no problem. That's the problem and that's why I wrote this thread. Unbeknownst to many folks out there, there is a 70/30 rule. Nine out of ten people will pay little attention to their bill detail. Seven out of ten people will notice a variance. Three out of ten people will scrutinize their bill and do something about it. The remaining seven will simply not bother and pay what is ever on the bottom line.

I used this forum as a platform to say -- heads up!!! to all those people who are changing devices and plans. I just happened to be one of those people whose contract both expired around the time of the Share Everything launch and one of those people who upgraded to a 4G handset and was forced out of the unlimited data to a new contract (be it tiered or Share Everything). There are still millions of customers who are not affected by these events but they will be over the next 21 months. This is a warning to them. If Verizon is able to ding seven out of ten people an extra $10-$40 per month for a single billing cycle, then for every 10 million customers, they stand to reap $175 million in erroneous billing revenue. If you don't think that warrants a class action, then I think you need to go back to law school.

Right now, Verizon has the benefit of the doubt that they have a billing system problem and it's probably tied to every customer like me who converts from an unlimited data account to a new tiered plan. Or it's every existing customer who ups their contract in the past X months. Or it's a major programming error across the board. I don't know. I am just telling the story of my situation and you can see others who have the same including you. My issue was across two billing cycles so I am seeing repeated egregious billing errors. When we sit there with our blinders on and only worry about ourselves, then all is lost.

So, moral of the story. Look at every bill. I have to manage four devices and four separate data tiers. I am highly sensitive now that we no longer have unlimited data and my historical usage has dropped from years of many GB per month to only a few hundred MB per month. My VZW radar and BS detector is on high-alert.

@AGE I agree with you - they have to be watched very closely. I was overbilled by $90 on my last statement ($10 in phantom data overages while I was in Europe and unable to use data at all, plus a bunch of other stuff related to the trip). My wife is one of those people who just pays the bill without looking at it, so it had already been paid by the time I noticed the erroneous charges. They agreed to credit it all back, but it took a lot of time on the phone to get it straight. My cycle ends today as well and I know I'm close to my 2GB limit, but I can't see how close because the widget stopped updating. Their last update showed me at 1.79GB on the afternoon of 10/23 and I haven't been able to get an update since. My phone says 1.82GB, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see what they bill me for.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #49  

Global Posts
    173 Global Posts

Flatblader - Don't wait. Simply go to verizonwireless.com and log onto your My Verizon tab and go to your data usage report. It should show you current and historical usage including detail of your last billing cycle that just ended. Furthermore, forget the widget. They reported that defunct months ago. Simply use the My Verizon Mobile app embedded on the phone (but do it connected to wifi ). Here you will get the mobile version which is a bit off from the more detailed online version but is a good general sanity check. And don't let them off the hook. Go look at your bill and go back a few months (unless you just recently changed plans).

Thanks for participating. I will be opening a new thread once my bill is published.

Global Posts
    173 Global Posts

Flatblader - and others -
    For the record... I just went onto the online My Verizon page and looked at my accounts and ran the Analysis tool. Heads up... Verizon is grossly over reporting data usage and this will warrant a phone call to them for escalation to their systems folks. Right now, they report my wireless data usage at over 1GB which is in stark contrast to their Data Usage tools that report my billing cycle that just closed as under 200MB using the Verizon Mobile Data network. The Data Usage function on the S3 is estimated at a total of under 1GB (I had to extrapolate and I did so by a huge margin of error because of a technical problem that required me to replace my SIM. Evidently, the Data Usage is stored on the SIM and not on the RAM of the phone... that's special). That should be at least 80% wifi usage so, sure 1GB total usage, 200 MB wireless, and 800 MB wifi.

Maybe Verizon is reading the device totals and shoving them into their analytic tools and then using that data in their billing rather than true over-the-air mobile data for my account. I don't know. I should see my bill posted in five days or so. Just a heads up for those that want to take the time. For me, I see this as a dangerous trend until I get real answers.