poor home wifi

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
How was your home WiFi before you got the S3s?
What 'it' is saying that you have a poor connection?
What kind of router do you have? Does it support A, G or N?
Have you tried the WiFi connections anywhere else (Starbuck's, McDonalds, etc)?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

thomasr1950

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm using a laptop that is connected wirelessly. I had a EVO LTE until today & it connected with no issues. Same as with my laptop. I took the phone into the room as my modem, still would not connect. I have a ATT 2wire481 wireless modem. I have not tried the phones anywhere else. It just keeps saying connecting then disabled when it won't connect.

thomasr1950

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm using a laptop that is connected wirelessly. I had a EVO LTE until today & it connected with no issues. Same as with my laptop. I took the phone into the room as my modem, still would not connect. I have a ATT 2wire481 wireless modem. I have not tried the phones anywhere else. It just keeps saying connecting then disabled when it won't connect.
I took my wife's phone & got next to the modem, still won't connect. Says poor connection still.

hehubado

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I've gone through three verizon S3's and not a single one has been able to get more than one bar maybe two bars for very short internals here and there...I have a dual band linksys n router and a maxx that consistently connects to my wifi w/ no problem as well as an ipad and iphone.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

thomasr1950

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I chatted with ATT, home network is ok. Perhaps a phone issue like settings or something? I had no issues with my EVO LTE's on my home network. Laptop is using the network & connected. Any other suggestions?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I took my wife's phone & got next to the modem, still won't connect. Says poor connection still.
Can you post a screenshot of this 'poor connection' message?
So, your phones can see the router just fine (4 or 5 bars?) but when you attempt to connect you don't get a connection? Or you get a connection but suddenly it's only 1 bar? Or it connects and then drops the connection? For reference, here's what my Settings -> WiFi page looks like:uploadfromtaptalk1349488975843.jpg

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

thomasr1950

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I called Verizon. They weren't able to identify the issue either. Phone was reset, modem reset, wifi turned off, then back on, battery taken out then reinstalled. Still could not connect. The one thing we didn't do was uninstall/reinstall the sim card. I could not get it out as easy as Verizon said it should be. That is the only step the tech thought should be done. They suggested taking the phone back to the store & have them look at it.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Now you're saying that it won't connect to the router at all?
Are you sure you're putting in the correct password? Do you have MAC filtering turned on in the router? The simplest thing to try would be to reconfigure the router and turn security completely off (ie no WEP/WPA). Then see if your phones can connect. Obviously, you'll want to re-enable security once you nail down the problem, but that just eliminates the most troublesome issue at the beginning.
I'm not an expert, but the SIM shouldn't have anything to do with WiFi connections - you should be able to remove the SIM completely and still have a functional WiFi connection.

The SuperUser

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
^ What he said. Check and re-check your passwords or your connections..it has to be your router..or you just encountered HORRIBLE luck. It racks my brain that not one, but BOTH don't work...Have you tried a whole factory reset?
Turn off the phone, hold the Volume + button and power button, then wipe cache and factory reset? I would try that.
Best of luck!!:confused:

Ported from my AOKP Build 4 JellyBean Samsung Galaxy S3. :D

thomasr1950

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I agree, unusual that neither phone will connect. ATT says my network is fine, Samsung didn't know as well as Verizon. Did softset on phones and modem. My EVO LTE's connected to my home network ok. My network is set to ch 11, wireless security is enabled WEP-Open.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
The lack of caffeine must be affecting my brain - WEP/WPA disabled = Open, if WEP/WPA is enabled then a password is required (ie NOT Open). A screenshot would go a long way here - when you look in the WiFi page, is your phone showing a lock symbol for your router?
Is there some place you can go (Starbuck's, McDonalds, etc) with an open WiFi connection that we can trust? (So that we don't spend a bunch of time chasing the wrong problem.)

Rory Mabuhay

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
24294_4978945363145_1474662825_n.jpg

Here is my problem please fix or help...?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney