Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 25 of 25
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Lorroth1
  • 3 Post By xoayr
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default screen goes black during phone call

    have the s3. During a phone call, the screen will go black. does it with the speaker both on and off. when i move it away from my face, it does not light back up. very annoying if you have to enter number options. the proximity sensor is not covered. appreciate some suggestions.
  2. #2  
    worwig's Avatar

    Posts
    908 Posts
    Global Posts
    934 Global Posts

    Default Re: screen goes black during phone call

    Install the app AndroSensor. Test the proximity sensor.
    Thanked by:
  3. #3  

    Default Re: screen goes black during phone call

    there is a face recognition setting you might want to try...it senses when your face is present
    rxgadget likes this.
  4. #4  
    xoayr's Avatar

    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

    Default Re: screen goes black during phone call

    Try these

    Option 1:
    Try turning on "Smart Stay (Screen stays on as long as you are looking at it)". Settings > Display.

    Option 2:
    Try turning off "Auto Screen Off During Calls (Turn on proximity sensor during calls)". Click the Phone App > Menu Button > Call Settings.

    Option 3:
    Try doing a Battery Pull while the phone is on and wait 30 seconds before putting it back in.
    rxgadget, creccaj1 and Jkaur122 like this.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: screen goes black during phone call

    Do you have a case on it that surrounds your proximity sensor? I got a kool kase from one of the kiosks in the mall and that was the issues. Try taking off the case and see if that helps
  6. #6  

    Default Re: screen goes black during phone call

    Thanks for the tip. It worked.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: screen goes black during phone call

    I was having the same issue and was really getting annoyed by this. I kept tapping the home screen just to get back to the call option and found out I was making this more difficult since I will end up on the home screen (*****). Just tap the power button on the right side and the screen should light back up. The proximity sensor on this phones are crap. They really need to update this.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: screen goes black during phone call

    It works perfectly for me. As mentioned above are you using a case that could possibly be covering the sensor?
  9. #9  
    GMJeff's Avatar

    Posts
    589 Posts
    Global Posts
    980 Global Posts

    Default Re: screen goes black during phone call

    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetgirl#ac View Post
    1am, huh? Ugh, fun times indeed! Glad you got them though!

    Your G-1 first look video today was great! I love that you can add Folders to the Home screen and put stuff in it like your games. Sweet!
    It is not that they are"crap", but rather that they appear to be hyper sensitive. Like it doesn't take much to trigger them.

    I can move my phone less than a quarter of an inch when talking to someone and see my screen come on out of the corner of my eye. Move it a little and the screen shuts off again.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums
  10. #10  

    Default Re: screen goes black during phone call

    HAHAHA EUREKA EUREKA finally got it solved.... what you only need to do is do a calibration Als_ps' calibration and it would solve your problem....
  11. #11  

    Red face Re: screen goes black during phone call

    Quote Originally Posted by Sadhana Sherkhane Shinde View Post
    HAHAHA EUREKA EUREKA finally got it solved.... what you only need to do is do a calibration Als_ps' calibration and it would solve your problem....
    Seems to have worked. Let's hope you are right. And a big thanks for sharing.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: screen goes black during phone call

    Quote Originally Posted by ansextra View Post
    It works perfectly for me. As mentioned above are you using a case that could possibly be covering the sensor?
    Where is the sensor?
  13. #13  

    Default Re: screen goes black during phone call

    Tried a bunch of the suggestions.
    Uninstalled apps, re-loaded the ROM, etc....
    Figured out that the screen protector was dirty around the sensor (top left) and voila...problem gone!
    D'oh!.
    Thanks for all the advice though...learned a lot.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: screen goes black during phone call

    Quote Originally Posted by xoayr View Post
    Try these

    Option 1:
    Try turning on "Smart Stay (Screen stays on as long as you are looking at it)". Settings > Display.

    Option 2:
    Try turning off "Auto Screen Off During Calls (Turn on proximity sensor during calls)". Click the Phone App > Menu Button > Call Settings.

    Option 3:
    Try doing a Battery Pull while the phone is on and wait 30 seconds before putting it back in.
    do you know if option 2 is still available? I have the same problem but not in galaxy s3, in another phone but the android version should be the same and I wanted to try finding this or some similar option
  15. #15  

    Exclamation Re: screen goes black during phone call

    I have the 10.1 samsung android tablet with phone built in and there is no option to stop the display turning off in the middle of a call.

    The main concern during a mobile phone call is - will the line drop - Having a display that turns off all confirmation that the call is still live IS a suboptimal usability issue, as the suddenly blackened display implies the call has dropped. Grappling for the power button to turn on the display is very cumbersome and counter intuitive and interrupts the flow of a conversation.

    Android Developers - please make the display stay on during a phone call as default, and at minimum make it so the user can choose this behaviour on 10.1 tablet as it is certainly preferable for most people. Saving 30 seconds of display time compared to the downside of interrupting a voice call makes this an easy choice. Otherwise Android is good.

    Thanks,
    Paul
  16. #16  

    Default Re: screen goes black during phone call

    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel Costa View Post
    do you know if option 2 is still available? I have the same problem but not in galaxy s3, in another phone but the android version should be the same and I wanted to try finding this or some similar option
    "It is not in settings menu" When you are at the dial pad screen. Press bottom left soft key to bring up "Call Settings". Then uncheck (Auto screen off during calls) This will solve it
  17. #17  

    Default Re: screen goes black during phone call

    I can't find either of options 1 and 2 in my settings.
    Can you be more specific about the path
    Thanks
  18. #18  

    Default Re: screen goes black during phone call

    found a different reason for my phone and from windows phone forums

    now its REALLY FIXED ;-) but need to open the phone (only two screws ;-) )

    Symptoms:
    Experience screen and touch sensor switch off during a call, Notifications (the screen stays off, like if it was in a pocket) which doesn't turn on as usual.

    Try:
    If during a call you press and hold the upper left corner of the glass -just between the speaker and the upper left corner- you will notice that the sensor works as expected.

    I think :
    Because of the layered nature of the phone internals design and the heavy use of ribbon connectors it had to be tight to connect the board with the sensor.

    My Solution:
    I just added a peace of sponge (W:4mm/H:5mm/L:15mm) (all weather door and window sealant) -that comes self adheasive from one side- and sticked a small peace on the board on the opposite side of the phonejack/secondary mic connectors (Pictures attached) this will add pressure on the board to be more tight ;-) tried it and working as normal.
  19. #19  

    Thumbs up Re: screen goes black during phone call

    hi
    i will like thanks for information about samsung galaxy which i had problome for weeks and solve the problome.
    I really appreciate.

    raju
  20. #20  

    Default Re: screen goes black during phone call

    Quote Originally Posted by paulmwright View Post
    I have the 10.1 samsung android tablet with phone built in and there is no option to stop the display turning off in the middle of a call.

    The main concern during a mobile phone call is - will the line drop - Having a display that turns off all confirmation that the call is still live IS a suboptimal usability issue, as the suddenly blackened display implies the call has dropped. Grappling for the power button to turn on the display is very cumbersome and counter intuitive and interrupts the flow of a conversation.

    Android Developers - please make the display stay on during a phone call as default, and at minimum make it so the user can choose this behaviour on 10.1 tablet as it is certainly preferable for most people. Saving 30 seconds of display time compared to the downside of interrupting a voice call makes this an easy choice. Otherwise Android is good.

    Thanks,
    Paul
    For some people it's not 30 seconds but could be a couple hours of screen time. That is a big deal in terms of battery life.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app
  21. #21  

    Default Re: screen goes black during phone call

    There is no option in JB 4.2 Call setting.......> turn off proximity sensor
  22. #22  

    Default Re: screen goes black during phone call

    Thank you very much.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: screen goes black during phone call

    Quote Originally Posted by kramer2718 View Post
    Where is the sensor?
    The sensor is near the top of the phone on the screen side of it. It's about where you normally put your ear when having a phone conversation (unless you're using speakerphone *smile*).
  24. #24  

    Default Re: screen goes black during phone call

    Quote Originally Posted by Amarinder Singh View Post
    There is no option in JB 4.2 Call setting.......> turn off proximity sensor
    Look in all the phone settings. It may be under "Call", or even "Accessibility". So look at all the lists for every option in Settings for "Proximity Sensor".

    Also, if you find it, select "Power Button Ends Call".

    That way if the screen does go black during calls at least you can wake it with the power button.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2
  25. #25  

    Lightbulb Re: screen goes black during phone call

    Hello,

    Resolution:
    Turn on Hands Free Mode. Settings (the gear) --> Controls
    screen goes black during phone call-screenshot_2014-10-09-12-23-50.jpg

    Look for a steering wheel and turn it on.

    Go into that Hands free menu and turn off/on the settings appropriate to you.
    screen goes black during phone call-screenshot_2014-10-09-12-24-00.jpg

    Drawback: You must lock your screen manually while on calls.

    I assume you have hands free mode...

    I am an android developer:
    Alternatively, if you or others still can not get past this issue please msg me and I will put together an app that solves this over the weekend.

    App function would be:
    -whenever you are on a call the code/app will be invoked to start and run in the back ground only for the duration of the call.
    - when you press the home button or lock screen button, the password screen / unlock screen should show.

    Anyways, if there is enough interest i'll do it.
    ahsan.noorudin.ashraf at gmail.com

    Hope this posts helps!!

Similar Threads

  1. Screen goes black during calls
    By weihl165 in forum HTC Droid Eris
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-15-2014, 02:31 AM
  2. screen stays active during phone call
    By amedlock1988 in forum US Cellular Galaxy S3
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-08-2014, 09:54 PM
  3. Phone screen goes black during call
    By zack822 in forum LG Optimus S
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-17-2014, 06:14 PM
  4. Screen goes black during call
    By gathome in forum Droid Bionic
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-26-2013, 10:47 PM
  5. Phone goes Black during call
    By jaybro0813 in forum Verizon Fascinate
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-29-2011, 05:20 AM

Posting Permissions