Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

Default Verizon S3 is freezing

I recently returned to the Android OS after a 11/2 year fling with iOS. I purchased a used Samsung S3 off of Ebay and as advertised it came rooted. I activated the phone and decided I would like to return to stock and then decide for myself what alterations I would perform.

I followed the instruction found on this site for returning my device to stock. I then added multiple apps and used my phone last night without incident. Today my phone has frozen twice. The front LED that informs me I have a text message still worked but the screen would not power off and the phone was unresponsive to any attempt to reboot or power off. I pulled the battery and the phone will boot and run just fine (until it freezes again). I deleted the last app I downloaded today in hopes of fixing the problem.

When I connect my phone to my computer and look at the files on my phone I see that I have 1gb out of 16gb's available. There are multiple files that I believe are left over from when the phone was rooted. Is there a chance that these are causing the problem? Is there a way to remove them? I don't ant to delete anything important.

I am tech savy but still figuring out all the rooting lingo and processes. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I love this phone and just want to get it dialed in.

Thanks in advance,
    cda710

Default Re: Verizon S3 is freezing

Did any of the instructions include a factory reset? That should really be part of returning the phone to 'out-of-the-box' condition.
    On a 'new' phone you should have expected about 11GB free (out of 16GB total). You could try using any of a huge number of file management apps available out there to look through the contents of the phone to see if you find any obvious offenders. Or go straight to Settings -> Back up and reset -> Factory data reset. That would be my recommendation.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by cda710 View Post
    I recently returned to the Android OS after a 11/2 year fling with iOS. I purchased a used Samsung S3 off of Ebay and as advertised it came rooted. I activated the phone and decided I would like to return to stock and then decide for myself what alterations I would perform.

I followed the instruction found on this site for returning my device to stock. I then added multiple apps and used my phone last night without incident. Today my phone has frozen twice. The front LED that informs me I have a text message still worked but the screen would not power off and the phone was unresponsive to any attempt to reboot or power off. I pulled the battery and the phone will boot and run just fine (until it freezes again). I deleted the last app I downloaded today in hopes of fixing the problem.

When I connect my phone to my computer and look at the files on my phone I see that I have 1gb out of 16gb's available. There are multiple files that I believe are left over from when the phone was rooted. Is there a chance that these are causing the problem? Is there a way to remove them? I don't ant to delete anything important.

I am tech savy but still figuring out all the rooting lingo and processes. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I love this phone and just want to get it dialed in.

Thanks in advance,
    cda710
    There is a chance that instructions didn't wipe the phone clean and when the phone isn't wiped clean with factory reset there is a chance that something is acting up. It sounds like what you are getting is the known as the Sleep of Death. You phone goes to sleep when the screen goes off, but doesn't wake up. I have never heard of this problem though if the LED is still working or you can tell you getting notifications so that tells me there could also be something else wrong.

Try what was said above, do a full factory reset and if that doesn't fix your problem contact the seller and ask what method was used to root the device and if you don't mind, post the instructions that you used to unroot your device.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

I used the guide that is seen in your signature. Should I try it again? Last night I did the power/home/volume + reboot and wiped and restored factory settings. Reinstalled all of my apps and all seemed to be fine. When I did all of this I got my files back to the 11gb available as mentioned above. While on the stock internet browser this morning it froze again.

The phone was rooted with paranoid android? Does that ring any bells?

When I say the LED is still working, it works the same as it does whenever it is asleep. I looked up SOD and it seems that many can reboot without pulling the battery, is this normal?

Can the stock internet browser be causing this?

Thanks again.
    cda710