Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Samsung Galaxy S3 Owners - Tell Us Why You Are Upgrading To The Galaxy Note II .

....that's if you are upgrading of course.

I have owned my S3 for a little over 30 days, replacing my 10 month old Apple iPhone 4S and Man do I love my S3!. It's Fast, Fun, and Fantastic. The screen display, the camera, the live wall paper and widget experience, the features, the battery life, and yes the UI. This Phone Just Rocks! With all that praise there are some short comings; poor viewing in direct sunlight and S-Voice.

Now the reason for this post. The Galaxy Note II is just around the corner and I have been following that beast for the last two weeks, watching youtube videos, reading reviews, and posts and simply said... I Want It! I Want This Phone! I Want It Now!!! But why do I want it?

I want the Note 2 because:
    1. It's going to have Android Jelly Bean 4.1 installed
    2. The 5.55" HD display which means more content to see; video, text, images, graphics, etc.
    3. The S Pen with the many S Pen applications usage
    4. Double the Core and RAM and a bump on clock speed.
    5. A bigger battery for more longer untethered voice and data consumption.
    6. Multi-application usage with split-screen mode. (with the updated firmware of course)

I've already got beyond the "Do I need this phone if I already have the S3" discussion with my wife and friends. No, I do not need this phone but I want this phone.

I would never have considered the Note 2 with the 5.5" display if I still had my iPhone 4S. That would have been a huge leap, mentally speaking. It took me at least two weeks going into different wireless carrier stores to demo and compare hands on the SG3 models with the 4S, which now looks puny and sad.

I probably have to wait at least a month before I can afford to buy the Note II and I have to decide if I want to sell my SG3 or keep it and give to my wife and sell her iPhone 4

I would like to know what the community is considering. Will you sell your Galaxy S3?, Keep it and buy the Note II?, and more importantly what will be the driving decision in you getting this smartphone?

Thanks Everyone.
    Samsung Galaxy S3, Verizon 16GB Marble White

Global Posts
    1,371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock unrooted

Default Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Owners - Tell Us Why You Are Upgrading To The Galaxy Note II .

Some things to note: the S3 will be getting 4.1 soon, just fyi. Another is I don't think the note 2 actually has double the ram, just the same 2 gigs. Also the processor is cometely different being the Samsung chip (quad core yes). The multi Window function will be available for us S3 owners in the 4.1 update. Also consider the screen being the biggest consumer of battery, if the screen is increased in size it will consume more juice. I am betting battery life will indeed be a little better, but don't get too excited as I doubt it will be a huge increase over the S3.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    4G LTE Thunderbolt
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Owners - Tell Us Why You Are Upgrading To The Galaxy Note II .

You're right on the RAM 2GB on both models. (my bad). I know that the U.S. models will eventually get Android JB 4.1 soon but when? I have the Verizon version so will Big Red deliver JB first? Possible but highly unlikely. I have not read about the multi-window feature on the S3 and I did not know that it was part of JB. I thought it was part of the Samsung TouchWiz UI.

Global Posts
    4,325 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Cause I want it. SCPW.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

And from your Avatar choice I am not going to argue.

Global Posts
    1,371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock unrooted

While no one has said when, I would bet soon. The 2 phones are just so similar.

4G LTE Thunderbolt

Global Posts
    2,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    Clean ROM

Exynos quad core with 2 gigs of ram 5.5 inch 16:9 720 p screen 3100 mah battery

I'm a superuser
    leroybrute likes this.

I'm not.

The bigger screen really makes no difference at all if the resolution is exactly the same. In fact it will look more pixelated, so I don't see that as a good reason to switch.

Quote Originally Posted by stoneyjonez View Post
    The bigger screen really makes no difference at all if the resolution is exactly the same. In fact it will look more pixelated, so I don't see that as a good reason to switch.
    The Note 2 doesn't use Pentile anymore, so pixelation shouldn't be much of an issue.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    leroybrute likes this.

the bigger screen , the s pen apps , the split screen , processor. im for sure getting this phone . i tried out a original note for a little bit and ive really been hoping and praying for verizon to get it. this phone would be such a great tool for my business and just plain fun for enterainment .

Quote Originally Posted by taylorz_412 View Post

Muuaaahhhh! I am past the want or need stage!

PS. The multi task function is unique to the Note 2. The GS3 will not have this function from what I have read, and makes sense.

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

Default Samsung Galaxy S3 Owners - Tell Us Why You Are Upgrading To The Galaxy Note II .

I had an s3 as my back up to my iPhone 5 but I got rid of it so I can grab the note 2 and will decide over if I want to keep the nexus 7 or note 2 and return the other.

Global Posts
    1,371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock unrooted

Quote Originally Posted by leroybrute View Post
    Muuaaahhhh! I am past the want or need stage!

PS. The multi task function is unique to the Note 2. The GS3 will not have this function from what I have read, and makes sense.
    It's called pop up play.

4G LTE Thunderbolt
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,980 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by taylorz_412 View Post

How's the Exnyos quad core compare to the S4 which is in the Galaxy S 3?

I just got the S3 this past Monday, and learned about the Note II on Tuesday. (Obviously, I don't follow this stuff closely.) As tempted as I am to return the S3 and get the Note II when it releases, I just find it so impractical. Right now, I carry both the S3 and my iPhone 4S with ease. The phablet will complicate things greatly. I hate pocket clutter. But I'm remarkably shallow, though, so the ability to just say that I have something means the world to me. Truthfully, I'm still debating. The bigger screen is wonderfully obnoxious, but I'm coming from the 4S being my main phone, and the S3 screen satisfies the feelings of size envy there.

Their basically identical phones with exception of screen size and battery. JB will not be a deal breaker (few enhancements).

However, one phone you can carry in your pocket. The other phone you will need to buy a fanny pack....lol!!!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    Bond32 
    stoneyjonez likes this.

Global Posts
    1,371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock unrooted

Quote Originally Posted by sal the wop View Post
    Their basically identical phones with exception of screen size and battery. JB will not be a deal breaker (few enhancements).

However, one phone you can carry in your pocket. The other phone you will need to buy a fanny pack....lol!!!!

This. Here is everything you need to know.
    4G LTE Thunderbolt
    Thanked by:
    stoneyjonez likes this.

ROM
    AOKP ICS build 38

You can run dual screen on the Note 2, its not just the pop up play function. Also the quad core Exynos is more powerful than the dual core S4, and have a much better gpu to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bond32 View Post
    It's called pop up play.

Pop up play is when you can watch a video and do other things. Multi task is dual windows doing more than one task at a time which you can NOT do on the GS3. With or without JB. There are several enhancements with the Note 2 over the GS3 (software & hardware). The Note 2 is slightly narrower than the original Note and it fits just fine in my shirt pocket, and most of you guys put it in your pants pocket so no need for a fanny pack. You might take a look at phone dogs reviews on the Note 2.

This is all you need to know!

Global Posts
    4,325 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by SiempreAndroid68 View Post
    And from your Avatar choice I am not going to argue.

Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by leroybrute View Post
    Multi task is dual windows doing more than one task at a time which you can NOT do on the GS3. With or without JB.
    This is just a software feature. There is nothing preventing anyone from putting the same software on the GS3 (which is almost sure to happen anyway). I buy devices based on hardware, not the software which can always change or be switched by the user at any time. There's nothing special about the Note2 that gives it capabilities to do this vs doing it on the GS3. You don't need a quad core CPU to show two windows at once. If you have the option to switch without penalty or restocking fees of any kind, go for it. Otherwise it is not worth switching, especially with the lower pixel density on the Note2.
    sal the wop likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stoneyjonez View Post
    This is just a software feature. There is nothing preventing anyone from putting the same software on the GS3 (which is almost sure to happen anyway). I buy devices based on hardware, not the software which can always change or be switched by the user at any time. There's nothing special about the Note2 that gives it capabilities to do this vs doing it on the GS3. You don't need a quad core CPU to show two windows at once. If you have the option to switch without penalty or restocking fees of any kind, go for it. Otherwise it is not worth switching, especially with the lower pixel density on the Note2.
    You must not know much about pixel density with these smaller screens. My Asus Infinity has 1080p hd screen with 224 ppi. The nicest screen I have seen on an Android device. I have watched reviews claiming the Note 2 screen being nicer than the GS3 screen that has 30 ppi more than the Note 2.

If you buy devices based on hardware than your post is contradictory. You should be all over this. The Notes hardware specs kill the GS3 specs.

There is a few reasons why the Note 2 multitask capability's are more special. For one its not just about showing two windows at once. It's about functionality and processes all going at the same time without locking up or lag. You may not need a quad core but I would prefer the quad core to do this. Main thing is the screen real estate, you won't have to root it to have this option if anyone actually builds this into a rom. With the s pen functionality built in to the Note 2 software I doubt you will see a functioning multi task dual window feature built into a GS3 rom. It surely won't be added into any OTA updates.

I buy devices based on hardware and the ability to handle the software. Guess what, I wont have to change or switch the software on mine. So to me its worth switching. It's not worth switching to you but to some of us it is, whether it be a need, want or lust. For me it's a lust and a buisness decision. Oh yea I forget. I won't need my Nexus 7 anymore.

It's all preference, no argument there. But to say the note 2 is this "grand" upgrade compared to the S3 is false.

Yeah, I watch phonedog. And I watch CNET, phonearena, and pocketnow. All say the same thing...

"S3 on steroids"

This thread is called "Samsung Galaxy S3 Owners - Tell Us Why You Are Upgrading To The Galaxy Note II" .
    Those of you you that are not upgrading to the Note II have no reason to post in this thread. Start another thread "Samsung Galaxy S3 Owners - Tell Us Why You Are NOT Upgrading To The Galaxy Note II".
    yodan4 likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast