Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Lag is killing me

What can I do to speed this up?

Default Re: Lag is killing me

Quote Originally Posted by deputydog95 View Post
    What can I do to speed this up?
    I have no noticeable lag at all. I would suggest doing a factory reset and then re-adding your apps one by one until you figure out which one is causing the problem.
    I realize that's drastic but you haven't provided any specifics.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

That sounds painful. Wish I could provide more details. I will say they bloat ware might be part of the problem. If I use a task killer and kill all, within seconds I have 30 programs running on the background again.

ROM
    CM10

Using a task killer might be part of your problem.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I'm using the "memory booster" app. Got good reviews. Is that something I should un install?

I've never used a task killer. Android should be efficient enough on its own without one.

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

can you tell us where and when you notice the lag OP? maybe we can work out the problem
    reset is a last resort.
    and yeah task killers should have died out with android 2.1 they really arent necessary mate

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    GT-I9300, UK
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I find its pretty bad while text messaging. I'm using Verizon messages for the app and SwiftKey for my keyboard.

Sometimes it's so bad everything just freezes for a minute.

Default Lag is killing me

I would definitely get rid of the task killer. Swiftkey should not be a problem. Do you notice the problem when using the stock text app versus Verizon messages? Restart after removing the task killer app and report back.

Are you running any other strange widgets that might be using a lot of CPU?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Current Devices:
    OnePlus One
    LG G3 - AT&T
    Motorola Moto X - unlocked GSM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8 - LTE AT&T
    Apple iPad Mini Retina - 32GB LTE

Are you sure power savings mode isn't selected? It's the only thing that causes lag om my phone (understandably).

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

It was selected. What does power savings mode actually do? I've never paid attention to it till you said something.

I've gone ahead and turned it off for now.

Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

It limits the maximum performance of the CPU.
    Click on power saver (not on/off) and it will open a new menu. It's used more for if your battery is getting low and as the name implies.. saves power.

Try powering off the phone. Hold the volume up button, home key, and power button at same time. Once you see the recovery booting in top left corner release the buttons. Once recovery opens scroll down and select wipe partition cache. I repeat this selection for good measure. Then select reboot. Does not affect the apps in any way but does fix a lot of issues and bad files without a reset.
    If you end up doing a factory reset, recovery is the best place to do it from.

FWIW, I use the Verizon Messages app as well, and have never had any lag with it.

Global Posts
    325 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by leroybrute View Post
    Try powering off the phone. Hold the volume up button, home key, and power button at same time. Once you see the recovery booting in top left corner release the buttons. Once recovery opens scroll down and select wipe partition cache. I repeat this selection for good measure. Then select reboot. Does not affect the apps in any way but does fix a lot of issues and bad files without a reset.
    If you end up doing a factory reset, recovery is the best place to do it from.
    This might clean out the issues i continue to have after uninstalling Light Flow. I just Good for email, will this require my IT to send me a new activation code? Do you know?

It was selected. What does power savings mode actually do? I've never paid attention to it till you said something.

I've gone ahead and turned it off for now.

That should fix the problem. Maybe do. A battery pull after for good measure. If not, there are definitely good suggestions here. Just keep in mind that your battery may not last as long as it did. It shouldn't be a huge difference but may be noticeable

Quote Originally Posted by vr002sh View Post
    This might clean out the issues i continue to have after uninstalling Light Flow. I just Good for email, will this require my IT to send me a new activation code? Do you know?
    I am not sure what you mean but you should not have an issue with wiping partition cache.

I was gonna suggest the same things

s3 for the optimus V
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

It's much better after taking power savings mode off. I'm going to try that other semi reset thing as well. Can't hurt. But it's shockingly better with the power savings mode off. I also went into the app manager and disabled things that I never use.

I wish we could delete the bloat ware. There's a lot of crap running in the background I would to dump off the phone.

It's much better after taking power savings mode off. I'm going to try that other semi reset thing as well. Can't hurt. But it's shockingly better with the power savings mode off. I also went into the app manager and disabled things that I never use.

I wish we could delete the bloat ware. There's a lot of crap running in the background I would to dump off the phone.

You can disable a lot of it. Go to settings, app manager, all apps tab. Select the one you want to disable. If you can disable it, there will be a "disable" button.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Is there anything that you should absolutely not disable?

Just be careful. There are some apps you can disable that can case some issues. I would disable what you know is just plain bloat and the ones you're not positive about, I would research to make sure they don't cause any issues.

Edit: Here is a link to an application removal list for the S3. You have to be rooted for some. But it shows you what is safe to remove and not.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...UE&pli=1#gid=0

Try this
    1. Install System panel and boot it up, the start screen should show a list of everything that is running including cached applications, etc.
    2. Notice the little bar graph looking thing next to the icon for an app? It should be empty for most apps.
    3. Scroll down the list noting any app that is using a lot of the graph (it should demonstrate how much that app is using based on how much of the area is light up white.
    4. Try force quitting the apps that are showing a lot of usage (except for SystemPanel itself).
    5. does the device now feel like its laging? If not then you know it is whatever app you had to force quit and you can either uninstall that app or if it is actually bloatware you can disable it!

Hope that helps!

Global Posts
    325 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by leroybrute View Post
    I am not sure what you mean but you should not have an issue with wiping partition cache.
    Wow - my typing is bad. I meant to say that I use Good (Good for Enterprise) for email, and was worried that I would lose communication with the server and have to have IT reset me. I followed your suggest and did a wipe partition cache. So far so good. After installing Light Flow (due to the heavy battery drain it gave me), the LEDs did not return to factory settings, nor were they what I had set in Light Flow, but somewhere in the middle, with no ability to control them. Now they are working like factory settings. Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by vr002sh View Post
    Wow - my typing is bad. I meant to say that I use Good (Good for Enterprise) for email, and was worried that I would lose communication with the server and have to have IT reset me. I followed your suggest and did a wipe partition cache. So far so good. After installing Light Flow (due to the heavy battery drain it gave me), the LEDs did not return to factory settings, nor were they what I had set in Light Flow, but somewhere in the middle, with no ability to control them. Now they are working like factory settings. Thanks for the tip.
    That is very possible. When you do a wipe partition cache it cleans all your logins and passwords to all websites, forums etc. It does not effect any of my email credentials though. If you do try it, do it at a time its convenient to get yourself set up again.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast