What's the best free wifi hotspot tethering app for S3? (grandfathered unlimited, no hotspot plan)

BigBearKevin

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I used verizon hotspot on my Thunderbolt off and on for a year. I got a GS3 at Christmas. Used a couple hotspot apps for free. Fox fi and personalwifi. They worked great until a few days ago then stopped. I've tried a half dozen new ones and they all are seen by a pc and connect but NO internet access including fattin.
I'm a noob and don't know anything about Jelly Bean or anything else. Just a guy who bought a new phone and didnt want to keep paying Verizon for what used to be free. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

lyrictenor1

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Re: What's the best free wifi hotspot tethering app for S3?

Do any of you using wireless tether (either a 3rd party workaround or the stock app) have an issue with the phone dropping data constsntly while the hotspot is turned on?

I have the unlimited data plan, and whether I've paid or used one of the bypassing apps, I still get the data drops ever since I've been running JB. I was running CleanROM before, but am Stock rooted now.

I'm now using PDAnet (full version, n?e Foxfi), but in the past have also used Portable Wifi hotspot and older versions of Foxfi.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

lv2bsilly

May 23, 2011
Visit site

I downloaded the paid version of FoxFi but when I go to use it the Verizon's hotspot app pops up (which I accidentally configured without realizing) but I can close the hotspot app and my foxfi will still work .... my question is, since the VZW app pops up does this mean I will get charged for hotspot? :eek:

Dowoad foxfi from FoxFi Installer. After you install that download the foxfi addon from the play store (helps foxfi work with some carriers that block it) . It works great on my phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

schneid

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site

FoxFi is now part of PDANet. Download PDANet+. Works fine with VZW JB 4.1.2.

lyrictenor1

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site

FoxFi is now part of PDANet. Download PDANet+. Works fine with VZW JB 4.1.2.

Have you had any problems with your phone losing its data connectivity when tethered? I'm running the full version of PDAnet + on 4.1.2, and am still losing the data connection while tethered.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

furball721007

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site

I have a s3. I am also a US Cellular customer. I have tried multiple apps to tether. When I do this a notice come up and says must call customer service for a tethering plan and then my app is blocked. I can I get around this? Plz help.

FishenFool

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site

I have a s3. I am also a US Cellular customer. I have tried multiple apps to tether. When I do this a notice come up and says must call customer service for a tethering plan and then my app is blocked. I can I get around this? Plz help.

I have an S3 on AT&T with unlimited data and I use Portable Wi-Fi Hot Spot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Protour

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
Also, I know another app which can create a free wifi hotspot on computer and share the internet to the around devices like laptop, smartphones, tablets and so on. It is a free little gadget called 160WiFi.

abeljcastro

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site

Help I have tried all of this apps but ATT keeps blocking them ani apps that would work on a galaxy s3 ??????

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon