What's the best free wifi hotspot tethering app for S3? (grandfathered unlimited, no hotspot plan)

komurphy

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Re: What's the best free wifi hotspot tethering app for S3?

Dowoad foxfi from http://www.foxfi.com/bin. After you install that download the foxfi addon from the play store (helps foxfi work with some carriers that block it) . It works great on my phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

sisblub

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

I am using widgetsoid on my gnex without problems but my wife just got the gs3 and I'm having a difficult time getting it to work on her phone. Anyone have any luck with widgetsoid?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

I am using widgetsoid with no problems. It could be the version of widgetsoid you have. I have an older version (3.4.1).

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

I just installed Foxfi on mine. Seems to work well, speedtest on my ipad showed almost 30mbps download.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Re: What's the best free wifi hotspot tethering app for S3(grandfathered unlimited, no hotspot plan)

Using CleanROM which has the native mobile hotspot app that comes installed on the phone hacked to work. I tried a few 3rd party apps but couldn't get them working.

Evoken

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: What's the best free wifi hotspot tethering app for S3(grandfathered unlimited, no hotspot plan)

Foxfi has worked great for me.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Re: What's the best free wifi hotspot tethering app for S3

The native hotspot app works great on stock unrooted. Just download a widget, I recommend fattin hotspot toggle from the market and the widget bypasses the hotspot activation check.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Magicman98445

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: What's the best free wifi hotspot tethering app for S3

The native hotspot app works great on stock unrooted. Just download a widget, I recommend fattin hotspot toggle from the market and the widget bypasses the hotspot activation check.

Does this widget also bypass being charged tethering through cell carrier?

IBSnazzy2

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site

I have a S3 and installed foxfi and the add on and still can't connect. All I did was open app and turn on WiFi and pc does not pik it up. Pls help

hh72385

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site

I 2nd this. Been using fattin since I got my s3 with no problems or being charged by verizon.

ApproachShot

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I've been using Portable Wi-Fi Hotspot Free for the past several months, for the first couple on ICS and for the past month on JB after upgrading OTA. I'm on an unlimited plan, so I don't get any extra data charges, and it toggles the native hotspot feature on/off without activating Verizon's monthly fee for their wi-fi hotspot. So far, it's been fast, flawless and every bit as good as FoxFi, which I dropped when they started charging for their most recent version. It's available in the Play Store, and nearly every SGS3 user there has rated it 5 stars. Check it out. I think you'll like it.

MikeekiM

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site

I 2nd this. Been using fattin since I got my s3 with no problems or being charged by verizon.

I have a Fattin Data Widget update sitting in my Google Play Store queue...but I am afraid to update it and have it stop working...

Can anyone please confirm that they are using the latest and greatest Fattin update, and that all is still working fine?

The newest version was released on January 1, 2013, and is version 1.2.

We tried this latest version on my buddy's Motorola Droid Maxx, and it didn't work...

Engadget26

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Okay, I have Verizon's GS3 with jelly bean installed. I still have the unlimited data plan, but when I downloaded jelly bean, I lost Foxfi tethering. Is there any app that gets around Verizon's tethering notification, so I don't have to pay? I have tried everything posted on this wall to no avail. Thanks!

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I have Verizon's GS3 with jelly bean installed. I still have the unlimited data plan, but when I downloaded jelly bean, I lost Foxfi tethering. Is there any app that gets around Verizon's tethering notification, so I don't have to pay? I have tried everything posted on this wall to no avail. Thanks!

Did you read any of this thread? There is at least a couple suggestions already in it.

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Tried all of them to no avail. I have been charged for using any of the 3rd party apps.

I just installed the Hotspot Toggle widget from the market. Search for Fattin Hotspot.....worked for me, no problem. Need to make sure you search for it in the widgets area, not the apps area once you install it.