1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default New S3 owner with a few questions re: email and wifi

Hi All, new S3 owner here with a few issues.

1) Exchange email frequently hangs when checking mail. I have the synch set to manual in order to hopefully preserve a little battery life. When I open my email application and press the synch button it starts to spin indicating that it is checking mail but continues to spin indefinitely without receiving mail. Once this starts, the only way I can find to stop it is to restart the phone. This happens both on wifi and 4g. Other times it works as designed, but frequently it hangs up. Any thoughts? Is there at least a way to kill the checking email process without restarting? I've tried killing email and exchange services through application manager.

2) I also seem to be plagued with the constant wifi reconnection when I am in the office. It seems to be okay on the wireless at home. I work for a university and we have a large stable wireless network so I doubt our equipment is to blame. It seems that the standard fix it to go to settings/wifi/advanced and disable the 5ghz radio so that only 2.4 b/g/n is used. However, on this VZW model phone I do not have that option under advanced. Is it hidden somewhere else on the phone?

Thanks all

Default Re: New S3 owner with a few questions re: email and wifi

1. I don't use Exchange so I can't offer any help there.
    2. What do you mean by 'constant WiFi reconnection'? Are you seeing this message:New S3 owner  with a few questions re: email and wifi-uploadfromtaptalk1350516395066.jpgIs it resulting in an actual disruption in your connection, or is it just annoying? In Settings -> WiFi -> Advanced, what do you have selected for Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep? If it's set to Never you may want to change it to Always.
    I have not seen any selection that allows you to disable the 5GHz radio. BTW, this radio doesn't appear to be dual-band: you can either connect to a 2.4 GHz router connection or a 5 GHz router connection but you can't combine them (for the best bandwidth) - at least, the that's been my experience.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    1,371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock unrooted

Are you 100% sure you have your account settings correct for exchange? Worst comes to worst you could try some other email app, like K9 or maildroid, I have never used those so I can't comment.
    4G LTE Thunderbolt

The built in application worked for me, but I needed more and went with Touchdown. Works very well.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    EVO & an Acer A500 tablet.

My files: http://www.appbrain.com/user/bclinge...the-htc-evo-4g

I was having trouble with the built in email program also. I installed K9 and have not had a problem since.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thanks for the reminder regarding touchdown. I have installed touchdown for a lot of my droid tablet users and they all seem happy. Strangely enough, and probably more coincidental than anything but after the ota update yesterday I have not had any problems with email freezing. We were also undergoing an upgrade from exchange 2007 to 2010 over the weekend and it is still going today, my mailbox was one of the first to migrate so I dismissed that as being the cause since I was migrated to 2010 before setting up the phone but it very well could have had something to do with the behavior as well.

GSDer, your screen shot is exactly what I am seeing. Perhaps it's not dropping it's just every few seconds telling me that it has connected to our wireless. Is this just any annoying bug?

I see that pop-up once in awhile, typically after waking the phone up (I use the 'Never' setting) and sometimes at random, but it's certainly not every few seconds. You should try running a speed test or doing a big download to see if the connection is actually being interrupted - if it isn't, I would just ignore the message.
    Does this happen on any other WiFi connection (Starbuck's, McDonalds, home, etc)? If not it may be something about that particular network setup.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

How do i go into advanced wifi settings on my s3? I need to set my wifi where once i'm on Verizon's Network it will stay there & not go back to wifi.