POP3 email receives but won't send.

saxun31

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
My boss just got his new phone. Verizon set up his POP3 account in store with the settings for our GoDaddy account. Everything worked fine for a few days. Somehow he deleted that account. I set it up for him again. Everything was fine for a few day,s but then he could receive email but not send. I tried different ports, security settings, require log in and don't require log in. Nothing worked. I kept getting the "unable to connect to server" error. I deleted his account and started over. Everything worked for a few days. Now he is back to not being able to send email. It seems to break once he gets home, which is pretty far from the office. Could it be that switching from the wifi at his house and the wifi here at work could be causing the issue? Why would it work for a little while then stop? Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I had this issue with my old Droid X. If I was on Wifi, the emails would not send, they would just sit in the "Outbox". The only way they would send is if I turned Wifi off. I never did find a solution, just learned to live with it.

nyry

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
You might want to check that you have the correct incoming web server because sometimes the email application trues to guess the server names for incoming and outcoming by default and might have got them (or one) incorrect...or maybe you might have made a type oh :) it happened to me once of twice and as soon as I looked up the right incoming and outgoing server names for my email it was up and running!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
My boss just got his new phone. Verizon set up his POP3 account in store with the settings for our GoDaddy account. Everything worked fine for a few days. Somehow he deleted that account. I set it up for him again. Everything was fine for a few day,s but then he could receive email but not send. I tried different ports, security settings, require log in and don't require log in. Nothing worked. I kept getting the "unable to connect to server" error. I deleted his account and started over. Everything worked for a few days. Now he is back to not being able to send email. It seems to break once he gets home, which is pretty far from the office. Could it be that switching from the wifi at his house and the wifi here at work could be causing the issue? Why would it work for a little while then stop? Thanks for any insight you can provide.

That could, especially if your trying to use an SMTP server that requires authentication externally but not internally. In other words, if the mail server is on your work network, it may be setup to allow SMTP relay internally, but once he's off the network and on his home wifi, he's unable to. Of course, this all depends on what the setup on the phone is -- are you relaying the mail through a company server, or through an internet provider? If it is the latter, I can almost guarantee that you would need to use authentication for SMTP, and it's probably SSL encrypted as well (port 465). Verizon used to offer an SMTP relay, but they shut that down a few years ago. Your best bet would be to speak with your IT admins to see what settings should be used and find what, if any, the correct settings are.

Ken_GoDaddy

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
@saxun31,

I'm with Go Daddy and came across your post.

Have you been able to get the email working on WiFi?

If not, I would like to help and see if we can find a resolution together, feel free to reply or to direct message me.

@Ricky Babalu, @nyry, and @paintdrinkingpete thank you for your willingness to help.

Gordon Sharpe

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
A few days ago I purchased a Nexus 7 without cellular. I configured the email app using my own server for incoming mail (pop), and mail.shaw.ca for the outgoing SMTP server. I spent some time on the phone with Shaw tech support about the requisite settings, and was assured that everything I had entered was correct, as were the settings. I found that I could receive emails from my server in California with no problem, however cannot Send emails. They just sit in the Outbox, no matter how many times I click on Send. Commonly a message pops-up to the effect that it could not authenticate the server. Extreme frustration after several days is an understatement. I then installed an app named K-9 Mail, and experienced identical problems. Yesterday I returned the Nexus and got my money back. What really ticked me off is that with my laptop computer I can go anywhere in Europe, North America, and Latin America, plug the laptop in to a high-speed connection (both wi-fi and hardwire) and immediately my Eudora software connects. I am then able to send/receive emails with no additional configuration.

Fran Wickham

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
I recently started having this issue with Gmail. I would get the mail but couldn't reply. I just fixed this by deleting the Gmail account and then re-adding it. Works fine now.

mthomp

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
I had similar problems with my Go Daddy email account. I tried configuring the SMTP server on ports 80, 465 with SSL, and 3535 multiple times without success. I replied to a test email I had sent to my Go Daddy address from my Gmail address, and the email was sent successfully using port 80. I have not experienced any issues sending messages after this reply (Wi-Fi or mobile network). I'm not sure if this resolution was purely coincidental, and I can't think of a technical reason why it would be plausible, but if you are still having problems sending emails, this may be worth a shot.

JasenHansen

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I have a Galaxy Tab 3, with the issue of not being able to send an email. I spoke to (3) different Godaddy reps and they all said pretty much I wouldn't be able to use the Godaddy email with the device due to an unknown issue. Are you aware of a fix, or work-around?

Ken_GoDaddy

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
@JasenHansen,

I am with GoDaddy and came across your post.

I am not aware of any known issues with the Galaxy Tab 3 and our email systems. What version of Android are you running, and what email application are you using?

Feel free to reply or follow up with me via a private message. I would like to work with you further in hopes that together we may reach a resolution.

harry neely

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I have the same sending problem with my new galaxy 5 ..My 4 worked for all the time I had it ..
I have tried all the suggestions that are on this forum and others with no luck .

Ken_GoDaddy

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
@harry neely,

Do you use your email through GoDaddy? If so I'd be happy to look into your concerns further. Feel free to reply via private message with additional information and I'll follow up with you.

pazmanyflyer

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Re: POP3 email receives but won't connect to server

Just purchased a Galaxy S5 yesterday and I can not get email to connect with the GoDaddy server. It keeps stopping at the incoming server settings saying it can not connect to server. I've tried everything. Followed all the Go Daddy email setup settings but no go. I use my phone for email ALOT. It keeps me in contact with my clients. How do I get this fixed?

Carlos in Arizona

Last edited by a moderator:

Ken_GoDaddy

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

@pazmanflyer

I'm with GoDaddy and came across your post.

Can you follow up with me via private message with more information about your email account? Once received I'll review and follow up with you on what I find.

Tom Biggs1

May 14, 2014
Visit site

I am having the same issue with a Samsung Galaxy. I can connect to the Internet and receive mail, but I cannot send mail. Once upon a time, I could. I have tried every combination of settings. Nothing works, though the 80 setting does take. When i send something it remains in Outbox, then when I hit send from the /outbox, I get "connection error" again and again. I'm ready to go to factory reset.

Ken_GoDaddy

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

@Tom Biggs1,

I'm with GoDaddy and came across your post. Is your email with GoDaddy?

If so please feel free to follow up with me directly regarding additional information about your email and I'll be happy to look into this further for you.

shugah

May 17, 2014
Visit site

I am having the exact same problem on my Nexus 5. I have all the ingoing and outgoing setting according to the godaddy instructions. I am receiving emails through the default email application on the phone, but when I try to send an email it sits in the outbox and will not send. Ken - can you please help me?

Thank you.

Ken_GoDaddy

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

Shugah,

I'm happy to try to help. If you haven't already done so, can you PM me with more information on the settings you're using, and your cell phone provider? Also, can you provide any errors you might be seeing?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2