Can't download a picture from a text message.

Test Idiot

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 on Straight Talk with AT&T as a carrier. After over 5 hours with their VERY BAD tech support and a complete reset of my phone I am still unable to receive pictures in texts OR group text messages. I also get the box with the data on size, expiration date and a Download button that always ends up with a failure when pushed. I am hoping that someone here is smarter. I have reviewed all of the threads above and have done all of the above to no avail. Ideas?

UPDATE: In case this helps anyone else. They finally discovered that a system update that had been done did not support my Samsung Galaxy S2 and when they installed a patch to support it everything finally worked. Of course that was after having to rebuild my phone completely and over 6 hours of time, but at least it works now.

Last edited:

MITZLERDUB

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Who did u talk to fix this problem?? Because i have the same phone, straight tallk, and ATT. So please guide me in the right direction..

Bill Ferguson

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
I have tried every one of these ideas. My galaxy S3 was working fine until a few days ago and then it stopped receiving MMS pictures. My wife has the same phone and she has no problems. I have compared Settings item for item and everything is the same on both phones.

HELP!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
My galaxy S3 was working fine until a few days ago and then it stopped receiving MMS pictures.
Have you contacted the carrier? Perhaps something got hosed at their end.

Are you using the stock Messaging app?
Do you get the little 'Download' placeholder in an SMS?

You do have Mobile data turned on?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I get a message that says mms cant download at this time. my mobile data is turned on so I dont get it
Does the Internet (or anything else that has data access) work normally?
Have you tried turning Wi-Fi off?
Is SMS working normally?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

androidonna

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi Test "IdiooT", did you have to bring it for servicing and did they have to wipe out all your data and texts on the phone? Or were they able to fix it remotely through electronic updates. I have the same problem with my S5 where I can't receive pictures or send pictures but I can still receive text through SMM. I have the same box with the data on size, expiration date and download button but I also can't send pictures, it gets hung up. I called my carrier after reading your issue and they said they tried doing an update to fix it and that since that didn't work there was nothing they could due except me bringing in my phone for physical servicing. I don't believe them. This is so frustrating.

krempep

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
AT&T netwrk requires that your phone be registered on thier network 1st to access data. Call your provider and give them model and serial#.

Kyle McLennan

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Gotta switch on your mobile data, like someone else stated in this forum, you probably can't download MMS text messages because you're hooked up to the Wi-Fi, and your mobile data is switched off.
Switch your mobile data on, and your phone should now be able to download MMS messages. Only mobile network can download MMS files for some dastardly reason.

stevenlemon

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Hmmm. come to think of it, I never had this problem until I asked Google why they list all the news networks on their menu except FoxNews.
I guess this could be their response.

nmIT

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
Hello!

I came acrossed this article, when I searched GOOGLE for "samsung galaxy s3 cannot download mms".

After some assistance from my girlfriend, I had a hunch that one or more apps on my phone were setup to take control over MMS handling.

I specifically recalled Google Hangouts asked this when I first started using it instead of Skype to video chat.

After clearing all app data for Google Hangouts on my phone, and clearing all app preferences.

My girlfriend was able to send me a selfie and I received it without incident.

I hope my findings help!

Thanks for posting your suggestions as well.

timmyleeturner

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Nope, I have an HTC One M8, and lately I have no option to forward an MMS, or the attachment. I tap and hold on the photo, it prompts me to save it but doesn't tell me where it saves it. There used to be an option to share things when you tapped on any photo, but with all these upgrades, especially Sense HTC upgrades it's screwed everything up to where I can't use my phone the way I did.

Timberchamp

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
New to the forum. Googled my problem and this website came up. Scrolled through some of the solutions and found that even though I was connected to wifi, I still needed to turn my data on to be able to view certain images in a text that I otherwise was unable to open or download. Thanks so much to the kind soul who was willing to share their tech knowledge with the world.

jave619

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
Sure, if you ask sender to email photo. Some people just use text message with attachment.Nice solution, but you aren't answering the question. The picture is already sent via text message. How do you load the picture to resend via email or print?